Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say what you want about players, format, exho etc...

Great match that was, awesome rallies, great winners, a lot of drama

·
Registered
242 Posts
Both semis today super entertaining.

Rublev would be really good if he developed a second serve, that thing is obscene at his height.
Rublev's serve is generaly useless considering his height, last year he was #39 at the end of a year in ranking, yet in service stats he was #79 in efficiency rating, #70 in % of points won after 1st serve and #76 in % of service games won. But he's incredibly talented in terms of natural feeling and groundstrokes potential, he's always been considered in Russia as more talented player than Khachanov. If he stays healthy, I think he can easily improove his serve and make top20 next year, this tournament is a positive sign for a future considering pretty bad season he had. He's not far away from Tsitsipas in terms of natural talent, but regularity and fundamental schemes in service games is what makes the difference between two of them now. Tsitsipas' combination of serve and forehand is winning him games, Rublev doesn't have any source of these 'free' points developed yet.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Stefanos was too passive during long parts of this match. He could lose because of it, but in 5th set TB he was more active and won it by himself.

Rublev has two major weaknesses: 2nd serve which is probably the worst in top100 and a net play. This is quite easy to expose by good returners.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,624 Posts
Stefanos was too passive during long parts of this match. He could lose because of it, but in 5th set TB he was more active and won it by himself.

Rublev has two major weaknesses: 2nd serve which is probably the worst in top100 and a net play. This is quite easy to expose by good returners.
Yup spot on, in the AO match against Dimitrov Rublev reportedly approached the net once in 4 sets, and that was down MP, and hesitantly so.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Entertaining match. Always felt Tsitsipas would hold his nerve better, he seems mentally very strong. Despite smashing the headphones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I was disappointed by Rublev in Next Gen. I'm even more disappointed that I can't watch the Next Gen Finals because no one is showing it on TV where I live. I thought Stef would do well here, if he wasn't too tired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts