Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
23,015 Posts
@Injust Seeing he didn't play Madrid last year, it seems he cannot exempt for this case, meaning it will be counted as a "block" for him. He can exempt for Rome, though (as he played there last year). That being said I doubt Fed will play a lot non-mandatories this year. I guess it will only be helpful if he'll use the lesser grass tournaments as point boosters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What are the rules for skipping Grand Slams. I notice Fed skipped the FO without any penalty.

If I've read it correctly then the current top 5 will all be able to skip all the masters in a couple of years. Rafa and Stan already can?

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
What are the rules for skipping Grand Slams. I notice Fed skipped the FO without any penalty.

If I've read it correctly then the current top 5 will all be able to skip all the masters in a couple of years. Rafa and Stan already can?
Grand Slam is governed by ITF, not ATP.

·
23,015 Posts
@HelenAgain He actually has a penalty in RG this year as seen with the 0-pointer.

Also, while those with complete criteria are not obliged to play it, they still only have a maximum of 3 Mandatory Masters to exempt in the rankings, which means only max. 9 non-Mandatories can be counted if the player is in the Top 30 the whole year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry for the primitive questions but

Q1) the rulebook 1.08 says

2) 12 years of service;
The first Year of Service shall be the first calendar year in which a player has competed in at least twelve (12) tournaments offering ATP ranking points.
Does it literally mean that we count simply # of years from the first year of 12 tournaments participation, or the years of injury less than 12 tournaments would be excluded (though I do not think so)?

Q2) for ATP500, currently Djokovic is assigned 0p for Beijing and Federer is assigned 0p for Tokyo. Does somebody know how it is assigned (I mean I find no rule to distinguish Beijing and Tokyo as the tournaments in the same week) ?

Thanks.

·
23,015 Posts
Sorry for the primitive questions but

Q1) the rulebook 1.08 says

Does it literally mean that we count simply # of years from the first year of 12 tournaments participation, or the years of injury less than 12 tournaments would be excluded (though I do not think so)?

Q2) for ATP500, currently Djokovic is assigned 0p for Beijing and Federer is assigned 0p for Tokyo. Does somebody know how it is assigned (I mean I find no rule to distinguish Beijing and Tokyo as the tournaments in the same week) ?

Thanks.
Q1.) My hunch is that regardless of injury years, the count will still be based on the first year of service. It's not confirmed though.
Q2.) As there is a rule that a Commitment Player must play 4 ATP 500's during the year (that includes 1 Post-USO), and with Djokovic skipping Beijing, it means he could only have 3 ATP 500's/MC during the season, and gets the penalty already because it is a given he won't fulfill 4. Same with Federer, who only played Halle and Dubai.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello,

Concerning the injury year, I checked Del Potro who has less than 12 tournament participation in 2010, 2014 and 2015. But apparently he has executed 2 exempt right for MS1000 (Paris last year and Madrid this year). It looks he has achieved 600 matches by adding Challengers and Futures matched before 2010 (his current # matches at ATP site is 528 for ATP tour, Davis Cup and Olympic). So it looks injury year does not matter to count for 12-year services, just simply count from the 1st year when 12 tournament participation was achieved.

For Federer's 0P (Tokyo) and Djokovic's 0P (Beijing), my question was why it is Tokyo for Roger and Beijing for Novak. There seems to be no rule to distinguish between Tokyo and Beijing.

Thanks.

·
23,015 Posts
For Federer's 0P (Tokyo) and Djokovic's 0P (Beijing), my question was why it is Tokyo for Roger and Beijing for Novak. There seems to be no rule to distinguish between Tokyo and Beijing.

Thanks.
I think Commitment Players say which 500's do they want to play before they start the season. They also I think could change around 3 weeks I think before the tournament starts. I think the two committed on those tournaments, then got penalized on them when they didn't play. I am not sure about this though but I think it is likely the reason.

·
Rankings Master
15,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes, Commitment players choose their tournaments at the start of the year. But when they don't, ATP randomly chooses one for them to enter the penalty into their system, as the penalty cannot be entered as a generic name, it must be a real database tournament in order to stick into their system.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Yes, Commitment players choose their tournaments at the start of the year. But when they don't, ATP randomly chooses one for them to enter the penalty into their system, as the penalty cannot be entered as a generic name, it must be a real database tournament in order to stick into their system.
That's good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you, zjtennis-san and Slasher1985-san,

I guess Djokovic had subscribed to Beijing (he never came to Japan!) but perhaps it was random case for Federer.

BTW, still I might be wrong but attached is my summary of MS1000 exemption rights and Shanghai MS1000 penalty for those players who were absent.

Murray ... 0p penalty as already executed 2 exemptions
Djokovic ... 0p penalty as already executed 2 exemptions
Raonic ... 0p penalty as no exemption executable
Nishikori ... 0p penalty as no exemption executable

Wawrinka ... no penalty (but no points to replace)
Ferrer ... no penalty (but no points to replace)
Monfils ... no penalty (but no points to replace)
Berdych ... no penalty (counting Beijing 45p to be ATP 18th, del Potro 19th)
Tsonga ... no penalty (executed the 2nd exemption, counting Doha 45p)

Attachments

·
23,015 Posts
From what I know "complete exemption" just means exemption from commitment on Masters (i.e. includes all paperwork and media requirements) but 3 is still the maximum number of 0-pointer exemptions allowed to a player (i.e. if a player is in the Entry List of all Mandatory Masters that year, he has to count 5 of them).

·
Rankings Master
15,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
From what I know "complete exemption" just means exemption from commitment on Masters (i.e. includes all paperwork and media requirements) but 3 is still the maximum number of 0-pointer exemptions allowed to a player (i.e. if a player is in the Entry List of all Mandatory Masters that year, he has to count 5 of them).
That's right. Ranking-wise, the complete exemption stops at 3. The player still doesn't pay a fine for missing a Masters, but they will get a 0-point penalty.

·
23,015 Posts
@Slasher1985 Yeah, it seems that is a common conception, where the term "full exemption" also includes the mandatory status of the Masters in the ranking, but it actually still gives a "0-pointer lock" if they exceed 3.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello,

Does somebody (including OER) has a plan to make public the exemption list for all relevant players for 2018 ?
I am calculating myself starting from 2017 data (thanks for the posting) but it takes time !

Thanks a lot,
Rei

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello again,

I have one minor question. For exemption condition of 600 matches, Challenger and Futures matches played prior to 2010 will remain on the player’s record as relates to the commitment reduction rule (Rulebook 1.08.A).

I was calculating Kei Nishikori's case who should obtain at least one exemption (>= 12 year services) end of this year. Current Kei's career record is 548 matches (attached), excluding 3 matches of 2008 Challenger qualification in Dallas 2W-1L. I wonder if these 3 CH Qualification matches should be included or not when calculating # of matches for exemption.

Another case is Paolo Lorenzi who should have obtained 3 rights this year (attached). With my calculation he should have played 582 matches by 2016 and 642 matches by 2017. The # of matches by Slasher1985-san for Lorenzi's by 2016 is 586 matches, being 4 matches different with respect to my calculation. I guess I made a mistake for 1 match, but apparently Slasher1985-san seems to have included 2008 Cremona CH Q(2W-1L).

So my question is simple, Should CH Qualification matches should be included in exemption calculation for 600 matches? For ATP match record, I think Qualification matches in ATP/Challenger/Futures tour tournaments should not be counted.

Best,
Rei

Attachments

·
Rankings Master
15,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I don't know about Lorenzi, but the automation applying to everyone at the start (not end) of each year, does not count quallies.

Code:
ResultL = ResultL - QualsL
ResultW = ResultW - QualsW
That's the code there. :grin2:

Thanks for following, I kinda left MTF, so please find me using OER. I don't always check here for new posts.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts