Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering about these 250-500-1000 categories and I really feel that the ATP is just killing the 250 tournaments. It's great that Queen's and Halle are upgraded, but they were such great 250 events. I guess it's just a question of time before the Doha tournament will be upgraded as well?

I just liked the tour better before these categories. The 250 tournaments have no real purpose for top 10, or even top 20 players these days. Back in the day tournaments like Wien, Stockholm, Gstaad, Sydney used to be great, even when they weren't big events.

The idea of "Super 9" or Masters 1000 events is very good, but the 250/500 seems to divide the tour.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
A category upgrade is not only about ATP points.

It's actually about money. It always is. ATP 500 generates more money to both ATP and players. It's what ATP wants, this is the strategy that has been employed since 1973. Encourage tournaments to upgrade, after which rewrite the system, make categories harder to access through prize money, which encourages tournaments to increase prize money and so on.

It's a business.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It´s just for vultures to gain points... and also who wants to have tournament can - city, or owner. Yes top 10 don´t care much, unless is Brisbane,Doha or Queens-Halle as preparation for slam, but it still can be good tournament with guys from 20-50 in ranking if field is deep it can be great tournament this way - competitive

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
A category upgrade is not only about ATP points.

It's actually about money. It always is. ATP 500 generates more money to both ATP and players. It's what ATP wants, this is the strategy that has been employed since 1973. Encourage tournaments to upgrade, after which rewrite the system, make categories harder to access through prize money, which encourages tournaments to increase prize money and so on.

It's a business.
Agree that ist´ mostly business, but in some cases it´s impossible to got higher, i mean Tiriac wanted slam but it can´t be 5, Dubai now maybe has chance with rumours about Miami to get Masters 1000 level, but also it was impossible for them last what 5-10 years being richest best 500 with best field and no way UP.

Also some 250s are happy they are 250 and not challengers, not probably generating much profits - i mean some tournaments where is history or prestige to have tournament.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
Agree that ist´ mostly business, but in some cases it´s impossible to got higher, i mean Tiriac wanted slam but it can´t be 5, Dubai now maybe has chance with rumours about Miami to get Masters 1000 level, but also it was impossible for them last what 5-10 years being richest best 500 with best field and no way UP.

Also some 250s are happy they are 250 and not challengers, not probably generating much profits - i mean some tournaments where is history or prestige to have tournament.
ATP has a policy for ATP 1000 which limits their number. In other words, if one tournament becomes one, another is downgraded. It stimulates competition between tournaments.

Also, getting to Slam level is almost impossible. First off, the ITF must approve, not the ATP. ATP 250 and ATP 500 are just two categories now. In the past many International categories existed, with tournaments getting more or less according to the prize money output. It's just the same now, only in simpler form.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
ATP250s make sense to me. They're a good way of leading up to bigger events towards the end or at the end of swings. For example, the Golden swing, the US swing and the Asia swing. In Asia for example, there is Shenzhen and Kuala Lumpur, then Beijing and Tokyo, then Shanghai. Shenzhen and Kuala Lumpur are nice lead ups and give lower ranked players a chance for main draw action in the swing before playing qualifying in the ATP500 and/or M1000.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
ATP has a policy for ATP 1000 which limits their number. In other words, if one tournament becomes one, another is downgraded. It stimulates competition between tournaments.

Also, getting to Slam level is almost impossible. First off, the ITF must approve, not the ATP. ATP 250 and ATP 500 are just two categories now. In the past many International categories existed, with tournaments getting more or less according to the prize money output. It's just the same now, only in simpler form.
IS there some limit to 250 level event? like how many top 10 can play and so on? i know women have some rule about number of top 10 on International level event.

For example billionarie buys tournament average 250 and he want best field - let´say prize money goes up fro half million to 1 million, but he pay 5 million in apperance fees to get best player, can 250 hypothetically have 10/10 best players in the world ?

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
ATP 250 events are best for players ranked 30-70 who want to get a good amount of points, especially the ones with weaker fields.

ATP 500 are best for players ranked 10-30, because 500 points is not shabby at all.

Masters and slams don't need any explanation. They're good for everyone :lol:

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
IS there some limit to 250 level event? like how many top 10 can play and so on? i know women have some rule about number of top 10 on International level event.

For example billionarie buys tournament average 250 and he want best field - let´say prize money goes up fro half million to 1 million, but he pay 5 million in apperance fees to get best player, can 250 hypothetically have 10/10 best players in the world ?
No limit like in WTA.

ATP 250 can have 10/10 Top 10 players.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
the cities will be looking forward to host 250s anyway: they have to put less money

but atp, yeah they would prefer all 250 tournaments turned into master series :pPP

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well the best players don't play 250s because the calendar is fully-loaded with Slams,1000s and 500s and the only way they rest for these big events is if they skip the 250s. Like someone else pointed, the 250s are for people bellow place 30 who go out early on the big events and have time to jump to the next week. The only reason why a top player will play a minor tourney is if it is by default for preparation like Australian swing and Grass season or if the tourney is in their home country/city.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
You don't need Djoko, Fed, Rafa or anybody from top 10/20 to have a good tournament. You have many good players ranked 20-200 or whatever who can play good tennis. Slasher is right that it's about the money.

I, personally, liked the old format better.

There is one thing that is annoying ... a 250 tournament offers $500,000 total prize money for all players, winner included. Then they bring one of the big 3 divas and pay them $1,000,000 or even more appearance fee.

On the other hand you have players, not ranked top 100 or so, scraping out to pay for their food, hotel and traveling expenses.

Tennis and the whole world are turning to be like a Hollywood. I said it before ... we need STARS ... we need HEROES ... we need GLORY. We need to be entertained.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found an interesting article about tv rights.

It said that the LTA signed a five-year deal with Eurosport in December. Eurosport has rights for all the LTA-run ATP tournaments. They are showing Eastbourne and showed Queen's last week. But it also said that in 2015 The Queen's Club tournament will become a part of the ATP 500 package, with the rights for Queen's to be held by ATP media from 2015 onwards through the ATP World Tour 500 agreement.

Did I understand this right? Eurosport basically signed a five-year deal to show Queen's, but because it's now a ATP 500-tournament, they won't show it?

·
28,455 Posts
If you watch tennis to watch only the top players, sure its not great, but if you watch tennis to watch the tennis, then it is fantastic. We get to see different players.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
Found an interesting article about tv rights.

It said that the LTA signed a five-year deal with Eurosport in December. Eurosport has rights for all the LTA-run ATP tournaments. They are showing Eastbourne and showed Queen's last week. But it also said that in 2015 The Queen's Club tournament will become a part of the ATP 500 package, with the rights for Queen's to be held by ATP media from 2015 onwards through the ATP World Tour 500 agreement.

Did I understand this right? Eurosport basically signed a five-year deal to show Queen's, but because it's now a ATP 500-tournament, they won't show it?
Basically, ATP is now negotiating even more money out of Eurosport if they want to continue the deal.:p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts