Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As per the ATP press release:

For the first time in men’s professional tennis, Video Review will be used by officials at the Next Gen ATP Finals, the ATP’s ground-breaking season-ending event for the world’s best 21-and-under players, set to take place in Milan, Italy, from 6-10 November.

The Video Review, delivered using advanced Hawk-Eye technology, will provide opportunities for players to challenge any judgement calls from the Chair Umpire such as Not-Ups, Foul Shots, Touches, or Invasion*.

*Examples of incidents that would be subject to Video Review at the Next Gen ATP Finals are:

• Not-Ups – double bounces
• Foul Shots – for example, deliberate double hits or carry; or hitting the ball before it has passed the net; the ball, prior to bouncing, hits a permanent fixture; or the racquet is not in the player's hand when touched by the ball.
• Touches – ball skimming racquet, clothing or body; or if a player, or anything he is wearing or carrying, touches the net, net posts/singles sticks while the ball is still in play.
• Invasion – player, or anything he is wearing or carrying, touches the opponent's side of the court while the ball is in play.
The Hawk-Eye technology behind the Video Review will use video feeds from all television cameras so that the Video Review operator can quickly search footage to find the correct angle for the decision to be made. The relevant footage will be sent to the Chair Umpire’s tablet who will review the video and decide whether to uphold or overturn the original call. All relevant footage will be played out to the in-house spectators on large video boards in real time, as well as on broadcast, to take the audience even closer to the action. There will be no limit to the number of Video Review challenges a player is able to make.

Future use of Video Review could include decisions on whether to award the point or replay the point in the case of a corrected out to good call by an official. In Milan, however, such instances will not arise as all calls made by Hawk-Eye Live are final.
This move paves the ways for players to challenge more umpire decisions than whether a ball is in or out. Remains to be seen exactly how it will be implemented on the main tour if it's a success in Milan. Seems like it may be a bit more challenging technically and logistically than relying just on HawkEye itself, especially at smaller courts or tournaments that don't have extensive camera coverage.

·
23,063 Posts
Re: ATP Introducing Video Review at 2018 Next Gen Finals

Huh, never heard of the technical term "invasion" before. But yeah, it seems the Milan Laboratory is gonna test to see if real time footage will be feasible for non-line faults. Are Foot Faults part of the review though? That's a pretty common issue for some.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Video Review should be also added for overrules, if a player hit the ball before or after the call and if the ball hitted by him passed the net and was in the court.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are Foot Faults part of the review though? That's a pretty common issue for some.
That's a good question... The news release does seem to focus on chair umpire decisions though, so while the examples given may not be all-inclusive, surely foot faults would have been mentioned if eligible for review :scratch: Definitely one key area players would love to get confirmation on decisions.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Video Review should be also added for overrules, if a player hit the ball before or after the call and if the ball hitted by him passed the net and was in the court.
Another obvious area of contention that is hopefully up for review, although not specifically mentioned in the announcement.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
You guys probably don't realize how significant this is - not just for tennis for humanity. It is another step (after the auto-hawkeye) towards the replacement of human by machine. I mean if this ends up successful, do you really think they won't automate all the stuff umpires do eventually? I give it 10 years at most.

·
Your visions will happen
47,121 Posts
You guys probably don't realize how significant this is - not just for tennis for humanity. It is another step (after the auto-hawkeye) towards the replacement of human by machine. I mean if this ends up successful, do you really think they won't automate all the stuff umpires do eventually? I give it 10 years at most.
Human still more cost efficient than robot in current market conditions

10 years tho, who knows

·
Registered
173 Posts
Considering the fact that most Umpires are now doing everything they can not to make any calls, these days. It's really going to put the squeeze on them.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Seems unnecesary, these cases happen way to rarely to justify the usage.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Seems unnecesary, these cases happen way to rarely to justify the usage.
That was my first thought, but I remember being at the FO qualies a few years back watching Stepanek play Barton, where Barton hit a drop shot and which was a not-up that the umpire missed on a break point in the third set.

I was one of the few people in the crowd right beside where it happened and saw it clearly. Umpire got it wrong, Stepanek didn't admit to it, Barton fell apart and lost the match. Didn't qualify for a slam because of that, which is a difference of like $25,000.

Arguments over touches are quite common in doubles when there are smashes that maybe touch clothing before going out. I don't see any issue with getting decisions right whenever possible.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
They will never replace the chair umpire. The line judges however need to find a new hobby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts