Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
ATP Finals just don't suit Nadal. They should rotate the surfaces.

ATP Finals are not a deciding factor in any ATG debates. It's an 8 man competition at the end of a long year. An anomaly. Much derided as an exho.

Davydenko, Tsitsipas, Dimitrov, Corretja, Zverev, Nalbandian have won it. Great players, not a slam between them.
So an event loses its status when non-slam winners have won it? Mkay.

Don't you think that's a little bit tendentious? First, you mention three guys who are still playing and perhaps could win a slam. Besides, at the same time I could mention lots of players who have won (multiple) slams and (multiple) ATP Finals meaning your statement is sort of empty.

I'll never understand people belittling the importance of the ATP Finals. Nadal could have won it already. Just because he didn't, doesn't mean he sucked playing it. His record is above average! And I'm quite sure he and his team really want to win the Finals, because they know it's an important event.

Reactions: florentine

·
Registered
414 Posts
So an event loses its status when non-slam winners have won it? Mkay.

Don't you think that's a little bit tendentious? First, you mention three guys who are still playing and perhaps could win a slam. Besides, at the same time I could mention lots of players who have won (multiple) slams and (multiple) ATP Finals meaning your statement is sort of empty.

I'll never understand people belittling the importance of the ATP Finals. Nadal could have won it already. Just because he didn't, doesn't mean he sucked playing it. His record is above average! And I'm quite sure he and his team really want to win the Finals, because they know it's an important event.
Already, I find that it is singularly to give very little credit to Nadal to only hope for a change of surface at the Masters to win :)
While Nadal won 7 GS off clay...

When we also know that clay-type players like Orantes 76, Kuerten 2000 or Corretja 98 (who incidentally beats another clay player in the final..Moya, RG final..and beat .. Sampras in semi) won there.
Or Borg, 2 titles, which is still closer to a Nadal level niche.

Likewise, it would be wrong to blame the title of Davydenko 2009, which is for me one of the most beautiful editions of recent years and high level

And I would rather not even mention the Masters of Nalbandian, because that would make you smile.
2005 is inserted between the 2003-04 and 2006-07 Federer's titles... in a bo5... by going up 2s-0 ... Certainly, Federer was coming back from injury, withdrawing Madrid ind, Basel, Bercy and experienced an air gap after 2 sets, but it is also Nalbandian's credit for having gone to look for it .. anyway, Madrid Bercy 2007 gives a glimpse of what Argentin can produce at the end of the season indoors ..

Apart from the fact that Zverev and Tsisipas are young and have enough to win in GS in the future (which would have been true for Thiem too), McEnroe 78, Lendl 81, Agassi 90 won the Masters .. before a GS ... I do not see what their title has of low coast ..

Zverev beats in 2018 ... Federer and Djokovic .. 11 titles ..
Idem Tsisipas, also with a good management of the tournament.

Only 2017 is a little behind ... although Dimitrov played his best season (1/2 AO ... remember, Cinci) and that it is also a special edition, with Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka absent, Nadal who is coming out after a match and Fed goes through vs Goffin ..

Anyway, as you say, it seems it is fashionable to denigrate the Masters for the reason mentioned for years .. and which is the theme of this thread :)

Sorry for taking so long
(I could do so much longer ^^) because I think everything I'm saying is supposed to be known ... but sometimes I wonder ....

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

ATP Finals are not a deciding factor in any ATG debates. It's an 8 man competition at the end of a long year. An anomaly. Much derided as an exho.

Davydenko, Tsitsipas, Dimitrov, Corretja, Zverev, Nalbandian have won it. Great players, not a slam between them.
Nice to mention the guy w/ a 6-5 H2H over the Claybot.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Already, I find that it is singularly to give very little credit to Nadal to only hope for a change of surface at the Masters to win :)
While Nadal won 7 GS off clay...

When we also know that clay-type players like Orantes 76, Kuerten 2000 or Corretja 98 (who incidentally beats another clay player in the final..Moya, RG final..and beat .. Sampras in semi) won there.
Or Borg, 2 titles, which is still closer to a Nadal level niche.

Likewise, it would be wrong to blame the title of Davydenko 2009, which is for me one of the most beautiful editions of recent years and high level

And I would rather not even mention the Masters of Nalbandian, because that would make you smile.
2005 is inserted between the 2003-04 and 2006-07 Federer's titles... in a bo5... by going up 2s-0 ... Certainly, Federer was coming back from injury, withdrawing Madrid ind, Basel, Bercy and experienced an air gap after 2 sets, but it is also Nalbandian's credit for having gone to look for it .. anyway, Madrid Bercy 2007 gives a glimpse of what Argentin can produce at the end of the season indoors ..

Apart from the fact that Zverev and Tsisipas are young and have enough to win in GS in the future (which would have been true for Thiem too), McEnroe 78, Lendl 81, Agassi 90 won the Masters .. before a GS ... I do not see what their title has of low coast ..

Zverev beats in 2018 ... Federer and Djokovic .. 11 titles ..
Idem Tsisipas, also with a good management of the tournament.

Only 2017 is a little behind ... although Dimitrov played his best season (1/2 AO ... remember, Cinci) and that it is also a special edition, with Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka absent, Nadal who is coming out after a match and Fed goes through vs Goffin ..

Anyway, as you say, it seems it is fashionable to denigrate the Masters for the reason mentioned for years .. and which is the theme of this thread :)

Sorry for taking so long
(I could do so much longer ^^) because I think everything I'm saying is supposed to be known ... but sometimes I wonder ....
Nothing wrong with a poor English on a forum but try to make short sentences, it will be easier to read.

·
Registered
17 Posts

if "lesser" players win it why can't he?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Already five pages. Sweet.

Keep that stuff coming, guys. There can never be enough talk about this epic hole in the resume of Nadal.

·
Premium Member
8,686 Posts
if "lesser" players win it why can't he?
Even better if you can win losing twice in the group why can't he? Oh right because he is beyond hopeless indoor.

Reactions: friður

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Didn't he play Halle one year and lose to Dustin Brown?

Or was that just a wet dream I had?
That was not a loss, it was a total embarrassment. Brown was toying with him.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts