Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
Kei was off again over 40 UEs, many DFs, no real control on the serve and just no real rhythm. Arguably one of his worst showings at the finals apart from that weird Federer win. Thiem kept the pts alive and frustrated him into mistakes. Wonder if the CPI dropping has something to do with the low quality. The only thing he did well was pts at the net in general, a couple of good saves there but just not enough smoothness in his game. He played much better in Vienna where the speed was faster.

Tough to watch, but he will do better in January I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Such a mug. I hope he NEVER makes WTF again. What an embarrassing display in all 3 matches.

Now for Federer and Thiem: both lost a 3-6 6-7 match, both won a match losing 5 games. Thiem won 5 games in his other loss (to Federer). So does this mean Federer only needs to win 5 games (6 to be more sure) against Anderson to get to the semi? :rolleyes: Well then congrats to him. He cannot NOT do that right?

Ps: Seriously even if Federer gets to the semi, he needs to have a deep look in the mirror and thinks about how the fuck he let himself lose to this mug.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Nishikori not better than in his previous matches, still with about 4:1 UE-winner ratio.
Federer needs 5 games to qualify, I think. Then he would have equal game win percentage as Thiem and qualify due to the direct encounter, if I am not wrong.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
THiem changed to poly strings, seems to have made a difference, also just said he wasn't hitting as hard.
Duh Domi. Do this more often.

So if And wins in two, then it's a question of whether Domi or Fed won more games? But I don't get it because if And wins then Fed, Thiem and Nish will all have won one match only (nish won in 2 as well) so why does Nish go home now and not Thiem?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Pathetic from Nishi. Losing to Thiem indoors?
Looked totally low on confidence.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Also, the funny thing is that, if Federer beats Anderson, even if in 3 sets (which leads to Federer with a set ratio of 4-3 whereas Anderson's is 5-2), Federer will top the group and avoid playing Djokovic in the semi :spit:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Nishikori not better than in his previous matches, still with about 4:1 UE-winner ratio.
Federer needs 5 games to qualify, I think. Then he would have equal game win percentage as Thiem and qualify due to the direct encounter, if I am not wrong.
Exception is if he loses 0-6 5-7, then he is out, as he would have lost one game more.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
And just like that Federer qualifies for the semis. (If he doesn't get the mandatory games then....) Kei just not there anymore. The win against Federer masked his level. Hope he will come back fresh in Melbourne.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
THiem changed to poly strings, seems to have made a difference, also just said he wasn't hitting as hard.

So if And wins in two, then it's a question of whether Domi or Fed won more games? But I don't get it because if And wins then Fed, Thiem and Nish will all have won one match only (nish won in 2 as well) so why does Nish go home now and not Thiem?
Because Nishi lost a match 6-0, 6-1.
They count % of games won in case of ties, which only comes into play if Anderson wins in straights.
If Federer manages to sneak a set, he gets through as #2 from the group.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

Game percentage. That 0-6 1-6 loss STINKS.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
Such a mug. I hope he NEVER makes WTF again. What an embarrassing display in all 3 matches.

Now for Federer and Thiem: both lost a 3-6 6-7 match, both won a match losing 5 games. Thiem won 5 games in his other loss (to Federer). So does this mean Federer only needs to win 5 games (6 to be more sure) against Anderson to get to the semi? :rolleyes: Well then congrats to him. He cannot NOT do that right?

Ps: Seriously even if Federer gets to the semi, he needs to have a deep look in the mirror and thinks about how the fuck he let himself lose to this mug.
Kei just had a really bad tournament. He's played much better some other times at the O2 including a tight 3 set tussle with Federer in 2015, and Murray in 2016. I'm bringing it down to surface conditions and relative lack of form (vs his 2014-16 days). He doesn't normally miss so many shots, not least over consecutive matches and his serve was not clicking either.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

Because Nishikori's game percentage is (far) worse than Thiem's.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Well done Domi! :)
I just want to say That Fabrice Santoro just told during the match that Thiem was testing different racquet stringing for the next season during this week.
That could explain a few of the mistakes of his match against Federer.
He changed stringing (upped the weight to 27kg, changed the horizontal strings from power to control) only before this match. It was something he wanted to do for a long time, and that was the perfect moment to try it out as he could not play any worse than he did against Federer.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Good riddance, Shitikori. You dare to win against Roger and then completely fall apart in your next two matches, like a complete mug. You deserve your losses and to finish 4th place in the group :wavey: :wavey:

·
Registered
6,489 Posts

1 - 20 of 72 Posts