Mens Tennis Forums banner

141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Your post doesn't deserve a reply but just couldn't resist one so; "Obviously" Fed should have ended his after WB19 but now we can potentially witness one more spanking at WTF.
He's making a reference to someone saying Fed should have closed his season out earlier after he lost to Thiem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
An in form Thiem? Lol. Remind us what exactly he's done this year to create this fear?

Thiem barely scraped by Djokovic at RG and got destroyed by Nadal in the final. Other than that he's done nothing in the slams and at his age the big 3 were multi slam champions.

He's 26! I think that's old enough to accept this guy is never going to be a serial winner and his "in form" runs will be scattered here and there.
You are comparing Thiem to to whom exactly?

His track record against the Big 3 in 2019:
vs Djokovic 2:1 - Thiem won 4 out of the 5 last matches against Nole. Two at GSs, one at a Masters and one at the ATP Final.
vs Federer 3:0 - Masters final and ATP final
vs Nadal 1:1 - clay final in Spain

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Awesome stuff from Thiem! Couldn't watch the match, but settled for a good 20 min highlight package. A couple of standouts for me was his BHDTL, just awesome - appeared to be setting Joker up for it during the rallies, and his serve - I think I saw 141 mph on the gun? That is massive! Great stuff - this isn't just a recent trend either - his HC game has been improving - USO was hindered big time by illness. Lets go Domi, aside from Fed's slim hopes, I would like to see him take this title.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lmao, Thiem played scintillating atacking tennis, what kind of nonsense are you typing there? Of course coming from a Dull fan, the atacking tennis is ulgy AF, only the moonballing is pleasant to the eye.
Me saying that Thiem's game is ugly AF is an opinion, which god says I'm allowed to have. Nowhere did I ever indicate a preference for moonballing. That's an assumption on your part, which is WRONG. Hopefully you're able to understand the distinction between these two things, so as to not be confused moving forward.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just that he failed to do that after RG semi's loss.. Oh wait
You are comparing Thiem to to whom exactly?

His track record against the Big 3 in 2019:
vs Djokovic 2:1 - Thiem won 4 out of the 5 last matches against Nole. Two at GSs, one at a Masters and one at the ATP Final.
vs Federer 3:0 - Masters final and ATP final
vs Nadal 1:1 - clay final in Spain
Yet despite all that he has only 1 slam F and a Masters win to his name this year. The point is, he has one of the bigger games on tour, it very good at scrambling, is very fit and appears to be young man with his head screwed on. 1 slam final and a masters is not good enough even if he's beaten the big guys a few times this year.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Remind us what exactly he's done this year to create this fear?
I am referring to your question regarding fear. We can change the topic and context but given Thiem's H2H against the Big 3, he is being feared by them. Who else has this H2H against the Big 3? Not even the Big 3 performed as well against each other in 2019.

Now, let's change the topic as you suggested. I guess your new topic can be called "Why is Thiem not #1 yet and has won many GSs?". IMO it's mainly because the Big are very good at GSs. It took recent GS winners like Stan or Chilic much longer than Thiem to reach 2 GS finals. Thiem is clearly getting closer. Only Nole and Dominic won 5 titles in 2019. Only The Big 3 and Thiem reached more than 20 finals since 2016. Apart from the Big 3, only Thiem has reached 2 GS finals over the last 2 years. He is clearly not part of the Big 3 yet - but he is 2nd best here and now.

What are your standards and who do you compare to?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Always good to see Novak lose. Even Thiem bad as he was yesterday was still too much for this regressed Novak.
Federer will beat him in straights

·
Registered
134 Posts
Djokovic did NOT play well at all. Thiem's game is ugly AF but he did what he had to do to win, I suppose. yawn
Ugly? Compared to whom exactly? Roger maybe, but then again, every game is ugly compared to Roger's.

Thiem has become one of the most complete players on tour. His BHDTL can compete with Nole. His spin can compete with Rafa. His slice and volley are not as good as Roger's but he is obviously working on it. His slice is already better than that of Nole and Rafa. Thiem's variety and power is a winning combination for most tennis fans I know.

To me, the one-handed backhand will always be more attractive than the two-hander. It's worth noting that there are only ca 10 top 100 players with single BHs. 6 are in the top 20. 3 are in the top 10. When beauty meets effectiveness, our sport reaches a new high. There will always be plenty stiff two-handers around. We should celebrate those who dare to swing freely.

·
justice for all
15,763 Posts
Yeah when he plays awfully. I also give him more than enough credit when he plays well. You on the other hand wrote about 5 times in the past week how much djokovic will roast him...
If so then according to you he would be playing awfully 90% of the time which obviously is not true. My take on it is you tend to exaggerate there. Not saying this to criticise you - that's your choice - and it's also funny sometimes. But one thing is for sure: the passion is there. And that's a good thing.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
What a great match...except the outcome. Hats off to both players. Djoko faced a beast yesterday, I had flashbacks of Wawrinka.

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
Congrats to Domi, scintillating performance to blitz DJ.

DJ tried and tried but it wasn't enough. There is no shame in losing to a better, more talented player but you cant always rely on opponent chokes. DJs fans can be proud that DJ works so hard even though hes not that talented. That speaks volumes about DJ.

·
Registered
806 Posts
What a great match...except the outcome. Hats off to both players. Djoko faced a beast yesterday, I had flashbacks of Wawrinka.
It was a great match, absolutely. And chances are there will be a re-match... I'll give Djokovic at least 70 % to beat Federer and go to the semi. The odds for matches in the semi might be harder to judge since the opponents are not yet known, but I think both Djokovic (if he beats Federer) and Thiem will be favorites. Only Tsitsipas seems to be in form from the other group (he is the favorite to win it), but Djokovic would probably have 60-70 % win chance against the Greek anyway.

All in all, I would say chances for a re-match is not less than 25 %. If they meet again - tennis history will be made one way or another. Either Thiem will be the first player to beat Djokovic twice in the same tournament to win a title or the Serb ties Federer for tour final victories and Sampras for year-end number one.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You know what, guys?

It's good to be a fan of Dominic Thiem. :)

These are the moments I'm living for as a tennis fan.

What a great victory, Dominic. I am so proud of you. So proud. My man.

And beware, everybody out there. Dominic is coming and will get you!
Agreed to the fullest here, even though this comment of mine comes a bit late (too busy commuting from the city center to the O2 and back - it gets awfully crowded in those tube trains, you'd better wait for the next one(s) if you want to be able to breath in there).

This is what I've been waiting for for so long, the indoor HC Dominic is totally ruling with his game.

So happy, and I could even see this coming after the emerge of the new Dominic.

He's my second favourite right after Andy, and now that Andy's busy with his family and training for the next season, Domi's my number one, as you might be able to see.

He deserves this all, every bit of it, for being the unbelievably humble, nice and hard working fella that he is.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Ugly? Compared to whom exactly? Roger maybe, but then again, every game is ugly compared to Roger's.

Thiem has become one of the most complete players on tour. His BHDTL can compete with Nole. His spin can compete with Rafa. His slice and volley are not as good as Roger's but he is obviously working on it. His slice is already better than that of Nole and Rafa. Thiem's variety and power is a winning combination for most tennis fans I know.

To me, the one-handed backhand will always be more attractive than the two-hander. It's worth noting that there are only ca 10 top 100 players with single BHs. 6 are in the top 20. 3 are in the top 10. When beauty meets effectiveness, our sport reaches a new high. There will always be plenty stiff two-handers around. We should celebrate those who dare to swing freely.
No doubt Thiem has vastly improved esp on these courts but the slice is only contingent upon necessity & to say this or that superior to another is simply subjective. As for BHDTL, several times Novak opted against going for DTL shots perhaps due to arm/shoulder still not feeling right for certain shots that he used to make very naturally & regularly but agree that Domi's were effective as well as much improved first serves. We have to also factor in that unlike big 3, Domi has only played in first rounds of last 2 majors so is def. more fresh & less worn.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts