Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 61 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Only saw the third set and it was a mixed bag of incredible play from both and classic choking in ways that only our domi can produce. But he got there in the end and deserved this win, he was somehow both incredibly unclutch and clutch in this match. I hate djokovic so this win brings me great joy and while I hated his gesticulating after unforced errors I will say his defense was unreal today. Great match, so glad domi took home the win and is moving on to the semis!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
match of the tourney by a fucking landslide, ridiculous stuff by domi for the most part. such level migth easily win him the title this time. nole just a bit unclutch in the third set breaker, but other than that a mighty foine performance as well.
tennis is in a fine spot with matches like this, no doubt. shoutout to both warriors.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
The most relevant part is that FEderer is gonna get roasted tomorrow. Kudos to |Thiem he will most likely qualify 1st in the group with Djoker second. If they are to meet again in the final, i think Djoker will get revenge.
Wow you have a lot of faith in your guy. Of the big-3 Federer has the most pessimistic fanbase by far. Djokovic really was nothing special today. Domi also made 47 errors and still won. Of course it’s going to be tough but it’s far from impossible.
thiem has already won the group btw. Fed and djoker play for second place

·
justice for all
15,239 Posts
Not gonna play around with you here and keep in mind I hate djokovic with a passion.
But that was the flukiest win I have ever seen in my life.
Nobody should recover from that choke and honestly Thiem is just nowhere near good enough to do that.
Bad day for the sport
Looks like we got a Thiem hater on board. I feel for you, man cause you will suffer more next year. :)

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Novak simply didn't have an answer to the New R3300 Dominic . Didn't have plan B for these flat fast shots

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Fuck yeah. Great match to watch and for once it also produced the right winner. Insane quality on the backhand from Thiem, not sure how often he'll be able to reproduce this. Djokovic tried to play a bit more aggressively in set 3 but was still mostly return and defense. It looked like Thiem was going to blow it on several occasions. He had a blip midway through the final set with like half a dozen forehand UE in 3 games and then of course the choke from 6*:5 up to 0:3* in the TB, but gets it done with a bit of luck on some of the points that followed.

We got our 1 great match for this WTF, wonder what will follow now. Juicy QF now between Federer and Djokovic hopefully.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The most relevant part is that FEderer is gonna get roasted tomorrow. Kudos to |Thiem he will most likely qualify 1st in the group with Djoker second. If they are to meet again in the final, i think Djoker will get revenge.
They're not playing until Thursday. Anyway this match is an opportunity for Federer. No one expects him to win so he can just go out there and swing away with little pressure. Yes, he hasn't looked that great in his first 2 matches but, at his age, inconsistency is pretty much a given. If Jesus Fed makes an appearance all bets are off.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
People think Djokovic played well here? What match did you guys watch? Tactically he was horrible. Just sat back and allowed to Thiem to attack endlessly. A few good defensive points but that's about it. Thiem was great though. Never seen him serving better than that personally.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yep, awesome match. Thiem was phenomenal. He played with an unbelievable intensity, was going for pretty much every point. Incredible that he recovered from choking at 6-5 in the 3rd and then even after a poor start to the TB still got he win.

·
Registered
599 Posts
This was an incredible match! Thiem peaked in the 2nd set and begining of the 3rd, but couldn't maintain that level and Djokovic bounced back. But Dominic regained some of that level to win it all.
He is a joy to watch when he plays like this. He resembles Wawrinka sometimes with monster shots from both wings. Such a beast! And Djokovic wasn't bad at all, he exhibited great defence at times but wasn't aggressive enough. He will beat Federer playing at this level quite easily imo
Thiem gets out of RR stage for the first time and looks like the favourite for the title right now. Strong stuff

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Looks like we got a Thiem hater on board. I feel for you, man cause you will suffer more next year. :)
Shame as he is a great guy and i cheered him on live as he beat Berrittini in Vienna but man he is creepy as fuck with his voice and shorts and his swings are ugly, just get urge to slap him. Even though I know he is a good guy

·
Registered
506 Posts
Great match. Thiem came out with great tactics. Just blasting everything but in a smart way. By doing that he kept Novak from his bread and butter redirection.

But Novak like always played unreal defense in the clutch moments. That was crazy good defense. Never seen anything like it.

And as usual Novak was so cocky and arrogant when he thought he had it in the bag, lost focus and gave it away after all that hard work. lol

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
You know what, guys?

It's good to be a fan of Dominic Thiem. :)

These are the moments I'm living for as a tennis fan.

What a great victory, Dominic. I am so proud of you. So proud. My man.

And beware, everybody out there. Dominic is coming and will get you!
I’m not a fan of Thiem but I must say, it’s nice to have a player that actually consistently challenges and even beats the big 3 instead of bending over to them like most of the tour does.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Djokovic did NOT play well at all. Thiem's game is ugly AF but he did what he had to do to win, I suppose. yawn

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts
Most likely?

He is first no matter how last matches end

·
Registered
454 Posts
Wow, what a match! Amazing rallies, amazing aggression from Thiem, and well played from Djokovic.

In the end -- Djokovic should have won this -- he just dropped the lead in the tiebreaker for no reason -- and he lost two service games in the 3rd set for no reason with very poor play.

Also -- Djokovic was not at his best -- his returns were poor and error-prone, much more than his normal game. Secondly, he could have attacked more -- like he did against Tsitsipas a few weeks ago -- that would have kept Theim's aggression in check. But he didnt attack earlier in the point, letting Theim attack.

I am disappointed that Djoko lost a won match -- but am still hoping he ends year at #1 -- assuming Nadal does not make it to the final.

Reactions: incognito

·
Registered
29,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Djokovic did NOT play well at all. Thiem's game is ugly AF but he did what he had to do to win, I suppose. yawn
Yawn? Go away please, this thread is for tennis fans

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Wow you have a lot of faith in your guy. Of the big-3 Federer has the most pessimistic fanbase by far. Djokovic really was nothing special today. Domi also made 47 errors and still won. Of course it’s going to be tough but it’s far from impossible.
thiem has already won the group btw. Fed and djoker play for second place
This is really funny coming from you bro :p

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
It really looks like Djokovic has trouble keeping his intensity over longer periods these days. Thiem never gave him a break today and Djokovic dropped his level after the 1st and could never regain it for a prolonged period. In Paris he only played ballbasher (well Tsitsi isn't normally but was on that day) so this wasn't visible.

41 - 61 of 164 Posts