Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
23,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a Domi fan this is such big ruins, but hey, he still has the USO. For Medvedev though, quite the mettle like against Nadal. I thought it was a pretty good match. Level didn't seem to go beyond the 1st Set but it was still entertaining. Heartbreak for Domi, how close he has been in these 2 titles.

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
Congrats to Medvedev on winning ATP Finals. He was the best player of the last part of the season so this title is well deserved. If he keeps this form he’ll be one of the main favorites in Melbourne.

As for Dominic – 2nd final and 2nd painful loss here in London. Two sets were really close with slight edge to Dominic until the TB in which Medvedev was clearly the better player. In the 3rd set Dominic was visibly a more tired player and it was always gonna be an uphill battle for him. He might regret this easy miss in the 2nd set at 3-3 BP cause had he converted it he would have probably closed this match in 2 sets.

Also, I’m not really sure the slicing strategy was right. Seemed to work fine but finally Medvedev adapted to it well and got the upper hand. Maybe Dominic should have tried to play more offensive from the get-go.

Anyway, a bit sad finish to a great season. All I’ll remember from 2020 is the USO maiden slam title.

Get some well-deserved rest now, champ, and prepare for 2021.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Sad. I like Medvedev but not so much as Domi.

·
King Of Tennis
3,241 Posts
Sad moment for Thiem - falls to 2 wins and 7 losses in big finals. Medvedev won me over by smashing Nadal and Thiem these past couple of days. The real #2 right here.

·
Your visions will happen
49,193 Posts
Nadal vindicated

Incredible week for Med

Another contender for #1 in 2021? He already has a 900 point lead on Rafole

·
Registered
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Congrats Daniil Medvedev!!!... Well deserved maiden WTF title.His biggest title of his career to date.

He completes the Paris-WTF double and banishes the horrible ghosts of yesteryear where he went 0-3 to flip it 5-0

If it wasn't for Nadal beating him in the Canadian Open + US OPEN finals last year Medvedev would've already by now won every Big tournament from August onwards in 12 months just.

He's going to be a beast in the latter part of the year in years to come.He will be no doubt contesting more finals at the YEC in the future.I expect him to win at least another 1 or 2.

Love his zero f...ks non-chalant nothing celebration when he won.Cold as ice!!!.. It's a great sign for his career as he exhibits someone who isn't overawed by the novelty of the occasion of bagging a big title.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Thiem, Nadal, Djokovic, all those fools didnt know what hit them:

You dont fuck with a bear whose just out of his hibernation!

Super impressed with Danil today. Never seen his slice that much prior to this match, like ever. Showed a lot of mental strength, versatility, stamina... Hopefully he wont go into another hibernation next year. Next world #1 will be him or Thiem, and thats probably a next huge rivalry in the making. Looks like tennis future is safe at least for another 6-8 years.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
This completes 5 years in a row without the Big 3 winning this title.

If anyone told me after Djokovic won it in 2015 that Big 3 are not going to win this title in London ever again, I would have told them they were crazy.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Is Thiem cursed in finals of big tournaments? I can hardly think of another player in recent times who has played so well but often come up short in the finals of slams, masters, and tour finals. Or maybe he just chokes too much? He did win the USO of course but even that was barely achieved from 0-2 down in sets.

Medvedev on the other hand is quite a strong comeback player. Winning the first set against him doesn't seem to mean too much. Med now ties Zverev in terms of big title accomplishments (3 masters + tour finals).

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Those FH errors(22 UE out of 29 were FH side...)
I was like watching Rafa with these stupid errors,lol

Congrats Maddy,solid perfomance.Beats 1,2 and 3 to grab the title

1 - 20 of 168 Posts