Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was worried for a second he would lose it after he lost the early break in the 3rd set --- Thiem had disappeared immediately after the first set and was suddenly making clutch shots, especially after being down two minibreaks in the final set.

Still, completely deserved for being the more consistent and stable player across the whole match :cool: Great tournament and great year for Stefanos! And great revenge for Beijing.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Best Greek since the big fat wedding

·
Registered
520 Posts
When Stef plays his best he might not be as explosive but he is literally air tight, all controlled aggression no error. Domi on the other hand, even at his 120% he will still give you a handful of errors, and he was at about 80% today, so there.

·
Registered
59,365 Posts
Fun match, depressing result. Thiem FH fell apart in the tiebreak.

Tsitsipas unfortunately probably wins a Slam next year.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Yes!! Way to go Stefanos! I knew he had it in him. Great match to finish the season that could easily have gone either way. Both guys were really evenly matched.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So glad of Thiem's performance and mental fortitude.
I would never think he was able to reach the final and play 2 of the best matches of the competition.

Congrats to Stefanos. He was the better player today.

·
Registered
17,839 Posts
Epic...

Stef did everything necessary, one thing he needs to learn, is wait more and give himself more time before the serve with the loud hideous crowd and select idiots continuing the noise... it almost always resulted in a second serve, could have ended the TB more swiftly.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
And it’s all fraud‘s fault because he was too stupid to get returns in play on break points. Fuck this torunamnet, fuck this season. All archenemies take the big titles while guys go home empty handed. tennis is shit right now. The quality of the match was fine but nothing outstanding... Thiem with too many stupid errors from set 2 onwards. Taitsipas probably deserved it looking at the entirety of this match but i still don’t like him

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Better player just about won that. Was close though and a good watch. Thought Stef had more chances to break throughout but it only really clicked for him in the second.

Dom just lost his range in the run in bar some inspired shots midway through the tie break, overall though he needs to look at the bigger picture, he's beating Federer and Djokovic regularly now which bodes well for next year.

Should be a good AO. I hope this isn't another false dawn as I thought winning last year would push Zverev on in the slams but it didn't happen. Certainly Dom, Stef, Medvedev and Zverev should all be targeting minimum quarter finals in the slams next year and take things from there.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Great final! Impressive win for Tsitsipas. Such a talented all-round player. To win the biggest event behind the slams at 21 is huge. From NextGen winner to ATP Finals winner.

Tough loss for Thiem. He was close, but didn't win the important points.

Reactions: scriabina

·
Registered
17,839 Posts
Oh please. Look at the previous two winners of this event, it doesn't indicate anything.
Right, totally similar mindsets/wins.

Any problem cannot be found? Lol

1 - 20 of 123 Posts