Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the new site!

Good to see the Greek finally get a win over Medvedev to ensure the rivalry can actually be competitive.

The Russian goes from the longest winning streak of his career to a 2-match losing streak which could easily become 3 losses in a row if he faces Rafa next.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Stef ???????

It's been 84 years! ?

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Kinda shocked but good win for Tsitsipas to finally beat Medvedev. Just as he finally beat Felix earlier.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I think Danil taking a break from tennis was a bad idea, when everyone was saying he should skip tournaments and rest i had a feeling that it was a bad idea, hes young and should have went with momentum he had. Now he had some time to rest and too much time to think, and it got to his head. He was not playing nowhere his post wimby level today.

Obviously Shitsipas is improving lately and played well, especially on big points. But it was still Danil missing too many simple shots and dropping short balls all over. One thing about Stef that is overlooked imo is return, he was great today, and he was great at it in the last few tournaments i saw him play.

Danil will get back to his best eventually, he still very clearly has it in him, but this break didnt do him well. Also perhaps he really prefers outdoors/slower courts as his timing is just not there in these conditions so far...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I feel like I'm lost in the forest with this new layout.

Stef didn't face a single break point during the match. Betting he thoroughly enjoyed this victory over Medvedev, considering he hadn't beaten him in 589 previous tournaments. Highkey curious if he's still blocked on Instagram. ?

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
So finally the Philosopher slayed the Bear. No tricks this time, he was better overall and had more initiative during rallies. Just a couple of weeks ago Medved was on a hot streak but now he's on a 2-match losing streak. Let's see how he reacts in next matches.

·
The special one
14,288 Posts
Deserved win, he served very well and was mentally strong. Tsitsi needed this win more and overall I want this to be a competitive rivalry between them in the future, which I think it will be, so I'm not complaining.

Medvedev will bounce back, perhaps the run he had this summer is taking its toll a little.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,973 Posts
Looks like Med might actually go 0-3 here

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
Couldn't see the match, because I was working, though read that Tsitsipas was a bit tentative in the 1st set, then hit a brilliant volley in TB to get to SP.
Then Medvedev was passed for a BP in 2nd set which Tsitsipas converted by an UE by the Russian.

Genuine response by the Greek after the victory, but he should be happy for achieving it on this surface. I guess on the faster surfaces he could prevail also in the future, while on slower ones (IW, Miami, clay, USO) Medvedev could maintain his edge.

Btw. site upgrade: it completely destroyed the style of my signature, thanks VS

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Everybody forgot it is one thing to win trophies when you are playing well as Medvedev did in 2019 and particularly during USO series..... but it is another thing to carry on winnig when your body is tired and you are playing 85%.

Some players are able to win ugly when they are not top fit and they are called champions, Medevedev can become one of them but it is probably too soon, more work is definitely needed....

Today his main weapons were not working 100% and he felt obviously not confident enough on this surface to try others like dropshots...

I like him and I wish he can achieve, he is just 23 but some overhype here (like he will for sure win a Slam) is just boring

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Of course MTF had to be down while history was being made in London, with Tsitsipas not only emerging victorious in his tournament debut but also defeating Medvedev for the first time ?

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Well, well, well: "Stefanos Tsitsipas said on Greek TV that Jeremy Chardy, who beat Medvedev in Paris, gave him some tips before the match."

And definitely check out Medvedev's comments about wanting to 'offend' Tsitsipas and hurt him by trash talking him:

·
justice for all
14,549 Posts
The small kid does know how to fight after all, doesn't he?

Well done to Stef for finally beating the Bullshit Russian. Was about time!

Looks like Meddy's talk about offending Stef was very timely too.

Looking forward to the next chapter of this rivalry.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Unfortunately not a very good match, given their normal level. Tsitsipas victory was more due to Medvedev being below par, not himself upping his game, as compared to previous encounters.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, well, well: "Stefanos Tsitsipas said on Greek TV that Jeremy Chardy, who beat Medvedev in Paris, gave him some tips before the match."

And definitely check out Medvedev's comments about wanting to 'offend' Tsitsipas and hurt him by trash talking him:

no need for Stef to drag Jeremy into their bitter rivalry, should've just said an anonymous player gave him tips.

regardless, its entertaining that he said that.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts