Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's already after the USO, which means there is one more super event left: the ATP Finals! The entry list is tight, only allowing 8 players to participate. Unlike other tournaments, entry is based on the ranking just a week or 2 from the event. An elite group where they have to play up to 5 matches against fellow elite players, one player will win 1500 points, and $2,712,000 for the undefeated champion.

Three players have already qualified: Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, and Roger Federer (via GS champ rule). With 5 weeks left to earn up to 3500 points, who else will qualify for the year end championships?

Qualified:

Rafael Nadal (ESP)
Novak Djokovic (SRB)
Roger Federer (SUI)

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Notable names (Chengdu & Shenzhen Week):

Fabio Fognini (ITA) - Chengdu (max. +205)
David Goffin (BEL) - Shenzhen (max. +250)
Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE) - Shenzhen (max. +193)
Borna Coric (CRO) - Shenzhen (max. + 250)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think Kei is too far behind but maybe if he wins Tokyo he'll have an outside chance heading to Shanghai. Honestly it seems like the field is pretty much set. Isner could leap into the top 8 though, it's not unreasonable to see him going on a run in the indoor season, maybe vulturing Bercy or something.

If Isner plays well, I'm not sure who's likeliest to be on the outside looking in. I know Anderson is 8th right now but he's barely behind Thiem and not sure who's favoured to do better from this point on. AS Grand Slam runner-ups they're both valid top 8 entries, but Isner won a masters title so the yearly resumes are fairly strong for all.

Also don't think its 100% Cilic gets in, but prob 95% chance. If Isner has a great run of form (winning another Masters, etc) and Thiem and Anderson both outperform Cilic by a few hundred points, he could be out. That's a lot of IFs though

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
The way I see it, the last two spots is a four-way race between Cilic, Thiem, Anderson and Isner. All four of them have the opportunity to collect points from Bejing, Shanghai, Basel and Paris - in any combination they like.

I think Cilic will make the cut. No idea about the 2nd one.

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@xdrewitdajx Yup, it is. Del Po is currently ahead in the Race than Federer, but Federer qualified first because he's guaranteed Top 20 finish, but not Top 7, yet has won a Slam. Nadal and Djokovic qualifying by points mean Federer is in by that rule. Federer and Del Potro will likely qualify by points though so I feel that rule will be not used this year.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The way I see it, the last two spots is a four-way race between Cilic, Thiem, Anderson and Isner. All four of them have the opportunity to collect points from Bejing, Shanghai, Basel and Paris - in any combination they like.

I think Cilic will make the cut. No idea about the 2nd one.
Last two spots? Do you mean three spots? Cilic is sixth, and Anderson, Thiem, Isner and so on are fighting for the 7th and 8th.

·
|
14,285 Posts
Nadal retired from the AO and USO and he's still leading.
The injuries were a good thing really, because it kept the race interesting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts