Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
my choice for goat is a toss up between 3 players depending which day i wake up.
Roger Federer Bjorn Borg and Rafael Nadal

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Bjorn Borg and Pete Sampras should be considered in the goat debate. I have a hard time considering 3 players that play all at the same time as the best of all time.
Bjorn Borg and Pete Sampras were clearly the best of their era. They dominated their era. They had the most slams by far up to that time.
Over time it became easier and easier to accumulate slams.
Bjorn Borg did not only dominate on clay but at the same time in the same year with hardly and time for transfer. At a time where grass played like grass and clay played like clay. He won both Wimbledon and Roland Garros. He did all that in a time period of only about eight years.
He did all that against two other greats Jimmy Connors and John Mcenroe.
Three great players playing against each others just like now. But he far surpassed them in winning slams in a much shorter time period.
On Grass, Sampras was one of the greatest & an ATG on HC but Clay is a glaring hole in resume & Agassi of his era could arguably b considered better all rounder. Borg was simply a prodigy & had he not burned out in his mid 20’s was on the cusp of winning USO’s had this not happened. AO was Grass back then so he likely would have more majors there had he played there more than once. At the end of the day, had he continued competing, we could b debating Borg as not only greatest Clay, but GOAT.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If not for probably the greatest claycourter ever, Federer would have 5 or 6 FO. So I don't see how the competition argument is better for Courier.
Yes, I will not prolong the debate on this thread, especially since I am not in favor of the Federer uchrony unless Nadal = 5 or 6 RG.
We change an element, we modify the whole chain of events.

On the subject of competition and competition on clay, I went to the essentials, in several posts here, fixing as an example Federer in the final of RG in 2008 or Rome in 2013.[/QUOTE]

·
|
14,320 Posts
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday he's asked major sports teams in his state to begin planning for seasons without spectators, and the state government will do what it can to help facilitate returns to play.

"I have been encouraging major sports teams to plan reopening without fans, but the games could be televised," Cuomo said in a press conference Monday, according to NBC. "New York state would help those major sports franchises to do just that. Hockey, basketball, baseball, football - whoever can reopen, we're a ready, willing, and able partner."

While not getting the revenue that ticket sales generate will impact teams financially, Cuomo believes returns can still work without fans.

"They have to make that decision but any way we can help we would help and then we can be up and running," Cuomo said, according to Mike Vorkunov of The Athletic.

"But why wait until you can fill a stadium before you start to bring a team back? If you can televise it in the meantime, great," he added.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts