Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
.. And you know what that means... another year where Nadal doesn't win the WTF and misses a chance to fill that hole in his resume ;)
Another year closer to 40 for the Swiss ballerina, another fall of his already remote chances to keep his records, another Mirka's nervous breakdown.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
.. And you know what that means... another year where Nadal doesn't win the WTF and misses a chance to fill that hole in his resume ;)
Lol that thought hasn't crossed my mind in 6 months

Nice to know you care so much about Rafa though

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
@mods, Buddyholly DA alert!!!
Says the person who has had at least 2 other accounts permanently banned from the forum. 😂

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Lol that thought hasn't crossed my mind in 6 months

Nice to know you care so much about Rafa though
Hehe... Just continuing our discussion from late-November last year.That's ANOTHER YEAR THAT chasm in his resume will not be rectified.He'll have to wait until Turin in 2021 it seems to win it aged 35 and a half months of age.Good luck on that.

... And yes .. 'I do care'... LOL!!.. I care alot that he doesn't win it and no amount of Bakano-Ryan Gosling head shake GIFS will shake my resolve ;)

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
Funny to see Swiss people saying that the US is the 'worst impacted country'... I'm not sure why Europeans are attacking the US. I don't see European tournaments opening up.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Hehe... Just continuing our discussion from late-November last year.That's ANOTHER YEAR THAT chasm in his resume will not be rectified.He'll have to wait until Turin in 2021 it seems to win it aged 35 and a half months of age.Good luck on that.

... And yes .. 'I do care'... LOL!!.. I care alot that he doesn't win it and no amount of Bakano-Ryan Gosling head shake GIFS will shake my resolve ;)
WTF is a glorified high paying exho, even biggest Nadal hater has to admit the event lost a lot of the prestige when they went away from the 5 set final after 2008 or was it 07

Plus any tourney where you can lose a match or even 2 and still win the event is ridiculous

As for Bakano's Ryan Gosling mancrush, it has already been determined that he only gets into arguments for excuses to use Gosling gifs

Besides, if anyone if going to be the GOAT, it will be Djokovic as he has the most all-around resume. So long as this new guru does not waste 2 years of his prime career like Pepe Imaz did, because Djokovic does not have that kind of time to waste again

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
He needs to win at least one WTF in his career. It's the unofficial world championships of tennis. Only the best players of the season are allowed to compete for the most prestigious title (points/price money/venue) in tennis after the slams of course. Everybody knows that, even the people who only support Nadal, because they're always busy downplaying the event for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
He needs to win at least one WTF in his career. It's the unofficial world championships of tennis. Only the best players of the season are allowed to compete for the most prestigious title (points/price money/venue) in tennis after the slams of course. Everybody knows that, even the people who only support Nadal, because they're always busy downplaying the event for obvious reasons.
Fedfans are busy promoting WTF for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
762 Posts
WTF is a glorified high paying exho, even biggest Nadal hater has to admit the event lost a lot of the prestige when they went away from the 5 set final after 2008 or was it 07.
It's fair to say that the WTF has lost some its lustre in recent years.

However, the reason Nadal hasn't won it is nothing to do with its status. He, ridiculously, wanted it to be played on clay. The reason Nadal hasn't won it is that he's not that great indoors, still a very good player obviously, but not one of the very best in the world. His record says that quite clearly. And, also, he's not in the same league on the other surfaces that applies on clay. Obviously he's still world-class, but he's well behind Federer and Djokovic on anything other than red clay.

Of course, he is unbelievably good on clay. That's why I think it's so hard and so subjective to say who the best of the three is definitively. Nadal could end up with the most titles, but in my eyes he's the worst player of the three, without question. But then can you definitively say Federer or Djokovic are better than Nadal, as although I think they're both fantastic clay court players (Federer even played excellent tennis at RG last year) they're clearly inferior to Nadal on clay, and both have one RG title to Nadal's 12?

Because of this discrepancy, I don't think there ever will be a best player among the three of them. But the reason Nadal hasn't won the WTF is just because he can't play indoors, and his chances of winning an indoor tournament with both of them in is very slim. His best chance would be if one of them knocked the other one out, and then got injured.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
It's fair to say that the WTF has lost some its lustre in recent years.

However, the reason Nadal hasn't won it is nothing to do with its status. He, ridiculously, wanted it to be played on clay. The reason Nadal hasn't won it is that he's not that great indoors, still a very good player obviously, but not one of the very best in the world. His record says that quite clearly. And, also, he's not in the same league on the other surfaces that applies on clay. Obviously he's still world-class, but he's well behind Federer and Djokovic on anything other than red clay.

Of course, he is unbelievably good on clay. That's why I think it's so hard and so subjective to say who the best of the three is definitively. Nadal could end up with the most titles, but in my eyes he's the worst player of the three, without question. But then can you definitively say Federer or Djokovic are better than Nadal, as although I think they're both fantastic clay court players (Federer even played excellent tennis at RG last year) they're clearly inferior to Nadal on clay, and both have one RG title to Nadal's 12?

Because of this discrepancy, I don't think there ever will be a best player among the three of them. But the reason Nadal hasn't won the WTF is just because he can't play indoors, and his chances of winning an indoor tournament with both of them in is very slim. His best chance would be if one of them knocked the other one out, and then got injured.
I agree with the notion that all 3 guys excel at different things and have different strengths in their resumes that the other guys cannot touch.

Yes Nadal is mostly clay court based, but he is also the only one to win at least 2 slams on each surface

Djokovic has the least slams, but he held all 4 and has won all the Masters

Federer has the most slams and the most time at #1 and the most YEC so currently he is GOAT

Djokovic has the most similar numbers to Federer, like a Jordan/Kobe type of situation, where the finish line is strictly numbers. Nadal is more of a Lebron James where he does other things and wins in different ways and will have numbers in the end that Federer or Jordan did not have, while falling short in other categories. It will then be up to the people to determine whether they prefer apples or oranges

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Fedfans are busy promoting WTF for obvious reasons.
That's why you should listen to me, or other sports fans with a broader view of things ;)

Belittling WTF is like saying UEFA Champions League is worthless in football. Clubs don't have to win all matches as well competing for this trophy. In fact, clubs can beat opponents after a draw by scoring one more away goal.

(like Portugal won the 2016 Eurocup: three draws in group stage of four teams and winning after extra time in the Ro16, QF (penalties) and F, they only beat Wales after 90 minutes in the SF)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Being good on clay didn't stop Borg, Kuerten or even Corretja from winning the Masters, even at a time when conditions were much faster than in recent years.

And by beating Lendl, McEnroe, Agassi, Sampras etc players with certain indoor skills.
Yes, but they weren't up against Federer (10 ATF finals and 6 titles) and Djokovic (7 ATF finals and 5 titles). There was only once in 13 years that one of them wasn't in the final.

If you look at titles alone then you could argue that Jim Courier is a better clay courter than Federer or Djokovic, as he's won RG twice. I'm sure no-one believes that, I'm sure Courier doesn't believe that. Federer and Djokovic kept running into Nadal every year at RG. The one year Federer won it was when Nadal got knocked out, and the one year Djokovic won it was the year that Nadal was just playing terrible tennis. But Federer and Djokovic are both easily among the best ever on clay IMO.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Glorified, moneyfied exho. Nothing more. No one bar FedCult and of course Rafahatas of all varieties gives a flying fuck about it.

Indoor hard isn't even tennis but ping-pong on steroids.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Yes, but they weren't up against Federer (10 ATF finals and 6 titles) and Djokovic (7 ATF finals and 5 titles). There was only once in 13 years that one of them wasn't in the final.

If you look at titles alone then you could argue that Jim Courier is a better clay courter than Federer or Djokovic, as he's won RG twice. I'm sure no-one believes that, I'm sure Courier doesn't believe that. Federer and Djokovic kept running into Nadal every year at RG. The one year Federer won it was when Nadal got knocked out, and the one year Djokovic won it was the year that Nadal was just playing terrible tennis. But Federer and Djokovic are both easily among the best ever on clay IMO.

... If we go by that then we have to immediately go by Federer 'would've had multiple French Opens now If Nadal wasn't around in the finals + also have at least a calendar year Grand Slam as well'.That pretty much would've made his GOAT status unequivocal.'

21 - 40 of 66 Posts