Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High quality! De Minaur with the quality he brought first set and a half. He will be top 5 soon if he can keep it up

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Disgusting result really, how often have we seen this? Demon was utterly brilliant in the first set and parts of the second, consistent flat hard hitting that kept Rafa off balance and exploited his uncharacteristically weak backhand. Then he couldn't find a first serve at *5-6 and Rafa played an insanely lucky rally to break, with multiple mis-hits landing on the line and catching the netcord. NID from then on.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
Nadal was godawful for a set till about 5-5, though his serving definitely improved through set 2. He really had no idea how to put pressure on De Minaur for much of the first two sets and even got flustered into committing some really poor unforced errors. Nadal truly was getting bullied out there unable to assert himself and Alex did well to take the ball on early and prevent Nadal from getting any rhythm. Nadal's returning was also very lacklustre, I sometimes wonder why he is so stubborn to return so far back when his returns drop inside the service box waiting to be punished - Alex kept using short angles to great effect. The scoreline pressure and experience basically saved Nadal in this one, De Minaur having a letdown end of the second set and Nadal rode momentum thereafter.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Until 5-6 in the second, De Minaur played amazing tennis. Good serving, hitting the ball early and deep, and great shots on the run. But for all the great play De Minaur showed, he couldn't get into many Nadal's games (compare to Goffin having BPs in 5 of Nadal's serving games). Nadal started taking the initiative in the latter part of the second set and dominated rallies in the third.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Have to admit Rafa's SP in the 2nd was hilarious :D :D jajajaja

3 shanks,lul

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Doesn't look to me like Nadal is really ready for AO. He lost to Goffin and had a lot of troubles with both Nishioka and De Minaur. And I don't buy that these all played out of their minds. Still more than one week left to find his form, though.

·
|
14,978 Posts
Even if Rafa was in-form, he wouldn't play well when he gets to bed at 5.30am after playing singles and doubles.....so you can't use today's match to assess his level.
Whatever he does here is nothing to do with the version of Rafa that will be at the Australian Open.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It was completely inevitable, I was waiting for Nadal to turn it around. I doubt anyone actually expected him to do more than put up a fight. De Minaur playing the best he had ever played for a set and half and could only create a single break point in the game that broke in the first set.

At the start of the third, everyone knew he'd lose - the crowds lack of noise, his camps subduedness and De Minaur's dull face.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Doesn't look to me like Nadal is really ready for AO. He lost to Goffin and had a lot of troubles with both Nishioka and De Minaur. And I don't buy that these all played out of their minds. Still more than one week left to find his form, though.
Are you kidding me?...33 years old..playing late matches..last 2 opponents had HUGE advantages in regards to rest...less travel....Nadal walked through the first 5 rounds of the Aussie last year after not playing a tournament for 5 months...Nadal is playing on FUMES right now...Davis Cup...Brutal EXO vs Tsitsipas...and yet he still has the fight to outlast a young player with fresher legs..Nadal would destroy Goffin/Dimanaur at the Aussie...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Disgusting result really, how often have we seen this? Demon was utterly brilliant in the first set and parts of the second, consistent flat hard hitting that kept Rafa off balance and exploited his uncharacteristically weak backhand. Then he couldn't find a first serve at *5-6 and Rafa played an insanely lucky rally to break, with multiple mis-hits landing on the line and catching the netcord. NID from then on.
Lol... Sounds like the worst thing to watch if u dislike Nadal. But then again there's always Madrid 2014 Final.

·
Registered
16,777 Posts
Thanks De Minaur for letting another Rafole on fast hard happen.

I guess many Dull- and Fakertards are getting hard at this very thought. :love:

Joking aside, Nadal may have been abysmal for a set and 10 games, but his act never gets old.
Time to wake up for some good ol' spanking tomorrow. Australia, I loooooove you!

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Great great match in 1st 2 sets.
de Minaur showed that he can play amazing attacking tennis, that was inspiring performance, I would even say that he was playing better than Goffin. Unfortunately he was way too unlucky in last game of 2nd set and then couldn't keep it up in 3rd.
This might be a really good preparation for AO, because Nadal can't face much better players there, he must be already ready.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
De chokenaur why? Luckdal strikes again and wins a match he shouldn’t have won due to luck and opponent choking. Djokovic, please for the life of me give this motherfucker a beat down to save tennis.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Based on how de Minaur played this week, I was hoping he could give Nadal a run for his money (literally, if nothing else). Although I didn't expect him to be so close. He could have and should have closed it out in two. He was pretty much there. But going to distance he never stood a chance. As we saw a million times before, the momentum shifts quickly. Top players live to capitalize on their opponents' momentary weaknesses. One blip and Nadal was running away with it raising his level as his confidence was restoring. In 2/3rds of the match he was pretty dire.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
It's kind of depressing to play at 8000% and only end up at 6-4 5-7. Rafael standing 4 metres back to return 170km/h angle serves was a scintillating tactic.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
alex was redlining for almost two sets, then the momentum change was sudden and drastic and inevitable, and kind of beautiful to behold.
3rd set nadal found his shots and just played on another level entirely.
Rafa's sched here has been brutal, I'm not worried about the Ao based on any of this. I didn't see the Goof match.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts