·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novak made a real mess out of this one, but got it done in the end

·
Registered
27,246 Posts
The commentators were frothing after every point but whenever we saw Big Marat court side he hardly looked conscious.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Novak celebrating like he won the Australian Open and not just an ATP cup tie ?dead

He made a real mess of it, but it mostly was entertaining.

·
Registered
21,780 Posts
What match were you watching? Djokovic didn’t make a mess out of it. Medvedev raised his level after a slow start and was very competitive. Djokovic had to work really hard for the win today. That net point at the Bp was insane. Medvedev is insanely competitive, impressive.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
God Medvedev's strokes are so ugly. The ball really comes off of his racquet in a peculiar way. Beating him takes a lot of focus because of how unorthodox his game is. Very good win for Novak.

·
King Of Tennis
2,692 Posts
Novak celebrating like he won the Australian Open and not just an ATP cup tie ?dead

He made a real mess of it, but it mostly was entertaining.
His reaction to winning his last several AOs were very low key lol. Don't really get what you mean.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Only watched the last set. Real drama in the last game me when Djokovic saved two (or was it three) breakpoints serving for the match. One of the breakpoints Nole saved was a duel at the net where Medvedev clearly had the upper hand after almost passing the Serb, getting a weak volley in return. Djokovic had celebrated the important points previously, but when he won this one, he looked as if he simply couldn't believe his luck (Medvedev didn't quite put away a high ball when Nole was in serious trouble) and made no celebration whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Choke on that break point, had the whole court and hit it in right in front of the mothafuckin net allowing Novak to get it and win the point. Turned into Federer on those break points and it cost him.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Only watched the last set. Real drama in the last game me when Djokovic saved two (or was it three) breakpoints serving for the match. One of the breakpoints Nole saved was a duel at the net where Medvedev clearly had the upper hand after almost passing the Serb, getting a weak volley in return. Djokovic had celebrated the important points previously, but when he won this one, he looked as if he simply couldn't believe his luck (Medvedev didn't quite put away a high ball when Nole was in serious trouble) and made no celebration whatsoever.
A shame you missed the second set, 76 minutes, it was a war out there.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Just as I, farsighted as I am, foresaw.

Novak "mr.1st set" Djokovic making an appearance again.

To all of you wondering why so much celebration...they lost Davis Cup to Russia, and that being Janko's farewell hurt a lot, they cried at the presser after that loss. So naturally this brought a lot of emotional release, and is completely understandable.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Meds strategy worked for a while..Standing 10 15feet behind baseline,wait for a drop shot by Novak,then come and kill off the shot at the net.But in BO5 Novak is gonna kill you like this..Ask Murray..

·
Registered
29,239 Posts
Medvedev made it quite a fight from the second set onwards, Djokovic fought back, was a bit fortunate in the third and managed to close it out if only barely.

Funny stuff in that last game, that high backhand volley from Medvedev on BP - he had the whole court open, Djokovic was completely gone. And he hit a super weak shot straight to Djokovic who was off balance. Novak managed to get it over the net and won the point, and the commentators had orgasms for the 100th time as if they'd just seen the point of the century.
Speaking of which, Mark Petchey in this match once again proving himself to be the most cringeworthy commentator in tennis. In his desperation to promote tennis and lick big 3's asses he can't help himself, even going so far as to credit Djokovic for not only Medvedev's ugly UEs but also for Daniil's DOUBLE FAULTS. Medv hits his 4th double Petchey: "Credit to Novak for giving Medvedev an opportunity to double fault." -- can't make this shit up. What an absolute tosser.

All in all an interesting fight, Djokovic trying out new tactics, slicing his backhand a lot, hitting many dropshots to shorten down the points.
As the match went on, Medvedev started to be more alert to this and adapted. If they meet again in AO he will be prepared for Novak's new strategy, this match might be good preparation even though he lost.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Medvedev lost the match at the net. Almost every important point at the net was played horrible. He looked completely blind in these moments.

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
To all of you wondering why so much celebration...they lost Davis Cup to Russia, and that being Janko's farewell hurt a lot, they cried at the presser after that loss. So naturally this brought a lot of emotional release, and is completely understandable.
Yeah, I don't really get Nepoznati Knez's constant sucking up for Russians, Slavic brotherhood there or not, they are too separate nations.
Way too many humiliating victories by the Russians at this point.
Good to see Djokovic taught the bullshit Russian a lesson. At least I can say I never ever could stand any Russians though. Maybe Safin, but he is not really Russian ethnically. ;)

As for the match, what a rollercoaster. I just could not stand the pressure and went asleep for the 3rd set.
Glad to see that my prediction came true with this 3 sets victory, but I still maintain the notion that Medvedev is not strong enough mentally. Yes, he is very good from the baseline and has a great fighting spirit (not as great like Safin in his heyday, but still at 2nd place for any Russian player ever), but can make some spearheaded decisions at times, I mean without thinking it over, so it just never gets it done this way.
As for Djokovic, I'd better not going into any analysis. He could have won more easily, some luck here and there, some brilliant play here and there, but choking and counterchoking also helped him.
A great victory at this point and especially in this rivalry on a fast hardcourt.

Reactions: Time Violation

·
Your visions will happen
48,648 Posts
Stupidly high level match even since first set. Finally Djokovic brings a real level, best I've seen him play since probably Wimbledon honestly

Med certainly has the game and fitness and mind to win AO but he must avoid long drawn out matches in early rounds vs "mugs" to conserve energy for potential wars vs Djoker and Rafa

1 - 20 of 32 Posts