Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argentina officially qualifies with this win and faces Russia tomorrow.
Schwartzman played well tonight, but Coric has been abysmal in last two matches. Don't know what happened to him, beat Thiem in high quality contest and then went to shit form.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Schwartzman played well tonight, but Coric has been abysmal in last two matches. Don't know what happened to him, beat Thiem in high quality contest and then went to shit form.
I missed his previous match but assumed he was blitzed by the Polish player's big serve and general firepower. Today, Coric was simply dire and in complete disarray, spewing UES galore from both wings.

better shotmaker won :whistle:
Schwartzman was clearly the much better player but, unlike in his RG'18 win where he plainly outhit Coric, he didn't have to do much today. As he said in his gracious postmatch interview, "Borna made many mistakes."

From memory, the W/UE counts were 11/33 for Coric and 9/15 for the Argentine. Discounting aces, that was about one winner for every five missed groundstrokes for the Croatian vs one winner for every 3 UEs by his opponent.

Schwartzman played a clean first set but faltered a bit from the middle of the second set. A halfway decent Coric could have put him under pressure with the finish line in sight, but a totally hopeless one let him off the hook.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Excellent result. Coric was godawful and schwartzman only had to play decent to win. If only Schwartzman had a better serve (I’m aware it’s not his fault) because he’s a beast off the ground and can go toe to toe with players like Djokovic and Dull.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Excellent result. Coric was godawful and schwartzman only had to play decent to win. If only Schwartzman had a better serve (I’m aware it’s not his fault) because he’s a beast off the ground and can go toe to toe with players like Djokovic and Dull.
Schwarzman was DIRE. Coric was like he is club player. This match is nonsence) Really

1 - 8 of 8 Posts