Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only one way to describe the game and mentality of Zverev:

U G L Y you ain't go no alibi, you're ugly.

No confidence really. Not for one second did he really feel he could win this match. Literally everything was on the Shapo racket, because Zverev wasn't really on court. Shapo was just on top though, very well played. His serve is really top class (minus the early DFs), if everything else strings together he can be a titanic force.

·
Registered
22,597 Posts
Zverev will be outside the top 50 at the end of the year playing like this. Maybe even top 100 he's terrible.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Basically the same result as in Paris except shapo didn’t mishit every second ball this time in the second set...
zverev was even more terrible than I expected. And it wasn’t just the double faults. it was his entire game. No firepower whatsoever. Thinking how aggressively and determined he played against Federer in shanghai or nadal in London and then seeing this makes me really question what happened to him in the off-season.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
It's hard to watch him play like this.

I think he should consider skipping Oz and taking a few months off to mentally recuperate.

I know that's not going to happen but tennis is the last thing he needs now.

Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
The special one
14,368 Posts
Zverev looked completely devoid of any confidence or direction, looked like he'd rather be anywhere else rather than on that court. I also don't think it helps him that his father was at the front and in his ear during every changeover adding to the prssure.

Aside from a few DFs early in the match Shap served very well and was clutch in big moments, rock solid mentality unlike his opponent. He'll crack the top 10 very soon.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't know what to say after watching that. Denis chose to receive for good reason and pounced to break him. Sasha then folded and it was over.

·
53,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically the same result as in Paris except shapo didn’t mishit every second ball this time in the second set...
zverev was even more terrible than I expected. And it wasn’t just the double faults. it was his entire game. No firepower whatsoever. Thinking how aggressively and determined he played against Federer in shanghai or nadal in London and then seeing this makes me really question what happened to him in the off-season.
I think Zverev's first serve peaked at Shanghai, 17 aces! With 79% of first serves in you don't need to worry about a second serve. So he was more free to swing. Also Fed feeds him nice pace at times, and makes you pass (and his pass isn't bad).

Nadal as you know was garbage to start, too short balls that Zverev can put away. Zverev also served good (71%)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Zverev´s attitude is cringeworthy, I´m not taking merit from Shapo who played really well but it´s painful to see Zverev with no interest in winning, better stay home training than this. I thought the win against Nadal late last year would give him some confidence but it seems it had the opposite effect

·
Registered
22,597 Posts
GER - AUS????

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
What is Zverev's problem?

Anyway, Denis is playing great aside from how awful AZ was. He should have a spectacular year, deserves to be top ten the way he's been playing lately.
Thank you Mr Youzny!

Shame Pospisil couldn't be here. Felix is way off and can't help out.

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
53,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's only week 1 coming from offseason, Zverev will be just fine when clay season rolls around :)
that didn't help him in 2019.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It's hard to gauge Shapo's level as his opponent was merely a shadow. The likes of Andy Murray and Nishikori may be used to being eaten alive on their 2nd serve, but Zverev is a totally different story. If he gets used to that, that would mean he's outside top 50 or worse, because he's not a returner. He was at least better than this mess last season even when he was "in a deep hole" as he described it back then.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
This is getting sad now, Zverev looks like he's mentally fried.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Shiiiiiiit, this is just painful to watch. Whether I like a player or not, I wouldn’t wish this kind of struggling on anyone. Hopefully he can get well mentally again.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts