Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Great win for Borna, really clutched it out in last game.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It's nice to start a year watching the same old brainless performance by Thiem, and I used the word "brainless" rather as a gesture of endearment. He's what he is, doesn't need to change, and is good enough to win major titles even with that "brainless"-ness anyway.

Coric was tactically sound, very sound. Well done.

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
Thiem was alright but made a bad choice at 1-2 15-30 which got him passed and eventually broken, and went 0/6 on BP's the last 2 return games, with some strong play by Coric after he gave away a 4-3 40-0 lead with 4 straight UE's on 4 consecutive shots, so some fortune involved.

Reactions: OverallForm

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
New year, new coach, new sponsor... Hopefully this win also represents a fresh start and renewed confidence for Coric after a dismal end to 2019. First top 10 win since Shanghai 2018 SF (Federer) and following six straight losses, plus falling 10+ spots down the rankings.

Neither player was at their best, with Thiem showing patches of brilliance peppered with bad errors. Coric was solid and, most importantly, composed - even in difficult moments like the marathon service game at 4-2 in the decider that he almost lost from 40-0.

No doubt Thiem has the bigger physical weapons and greater firepower in this matchup. I wouldn't have begrudged him victory, especially after the second set when he raised his level. But Coric's grit and smarts keep him competitive in such encounters, as long as he's reasonably healthy and confident.

Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Borna as always beats that brainless player. Expected win

·
Registered
20,700 Posts

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,630 Posts
NID. Delighted. Time for good season please

Reactions: ProudSerb

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Ugh why did you lose to this pussyass pusher? Coric needs to be kept as far away from the top as possible. One of the most boring players ever without an ounce of talent and he will ruin the game if he gets in the top 10.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
thiem has made improvements but he is still vulnerable on aster surfaces and likely always will be. he will probably kick himself over the missed opportunities. going 0-3 here against croatia too means that they likely will need to beat one of argentina or poland 3-0 and that wont be easy to do.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Good for Coric taking out a guy who has little tennis talent outside of an adequate backhand. If not for his looks- so disgusting reading ATP Cup's official Twitter page discussing his "sexy summer hair," as if that means anything- he'd be nothing more than a footnote.

What dignity is there being a Slamless pin up in men's tennis. At least someone like Marat had the decency to win 2 of them in between kissing pretty blondes 24 hours a day. It's really tiresome at this point, especially when I see this on my Twitter timeline.

·
Registered
261 Posts
A good reminder of why Thiem has never won a GS and probably never will. Massive mental walkabout after convincingly winning the second set (a bit a la London F after winning the first set) and having all momentum on his side, and that effectively cost him the match. Even so he still had chances to come back, like that BP at 2-4, when Coric had squandered a 40-0 lead with several UEs and was pretty much pushing at that point, but he still managed to miss a routine FH (no wonder he was foaming). Not a fan of Coric grinding, he is like the ATP Wozniacki with a better ass and far far worse resume. He fought and played his game quite well though.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
A good reminder of why Thiem has never won a GS and probably never will. Massive mental walkabout after convincingly winning the second set (a bit a la London F after winning the first set) and having all momentum on his side, and that effectively cost him the match. Even so he still had chances to come back, like that BP at 2-4, when Coric had squandered a 40-0 lead with several UEs and was pretty much pushing at that point, but he still managed to miss a routine FH (no wonder he was foaming). Not a fan of Coric grinding, he is like the ATP Wozniacki with a better ass and far far worse resume. He fought and played his game quite well though.
So does that mean he wins a slam towards the end of his career?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well done Borna, let's ignore the mental walkabout in the second set. He could've won the first set easier too, but Thiem hung on tight, Coric was simply steadier throughout the match.

He's what he is, doesn't need to change, and is good enough to win major titles even with that "brainless"-ness anyway.
That's not exactly showing on his resume though.

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
Good for Coric taking out a guy who has little tennis talent outside of an adequate backhand. If not for his looks- so disgusting reading ATP Cup's official Twitter page discussing his "sexy summer hair," as if that means anything- he'd be nothing more than a footnote.

What dignity is there being a Slamless pin up in men's tennis. At least someone like Marat had the decency to win 2 of them in between kissing pretty blondes 24 hours a day. It's really tiresome at this point, especially when I see this on my Twitter timeline.
Are you talking about Dominic Thiem not being center of some attention (that is usually reserved for top 4 players), if it wouldnt be for his looks?

And then you talk down the dignity of players who haven't won a slam yet, specifying someone who is desperately trying to do so?

My god, might be the worst and most misguided post I've seen here.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Are you talking about Dominic Thiem not being center of some attention (that is usually reserved for top 4 players), if it wouldnt be for his looks?

And then you talk down the dignity of players who haven't won a slam yet, specifying someone who is desperately trying to do so?

My god, might be the worst and most misguided post I've seen here.
The worst ever then? Good, I'm happy- I meant every single word. His game is fatally flawed with so many holes in it, you could drive a truck through them. He's SLAMLESS at almost 27 years old. I wonder why. Hmmm, well he gifts points constantly because he goes for way too much too early, has terrible footwork, makes too many errors, is constantly off balance and in the end, is prone to be mentally weak. Kind of a ballbasher too.

No idea how you missed the endless posts referencing his physical looks on MTF, but when ATP Cup's official Twitter account hops on that particular bandwagon, we're in a really bad place.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts