Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No breaks, Shapovalov the steadier when it mattered and very potent off his serve. Tsitsipas sunk his teeth into the match but was perhaps inhibited at pts (Shapovalov more dynamic and aggressive). Tsitsipas will need to work on return and also on defending when having to react quickly, because a lot of times his transition from the backcourt made him vulnerable.

I hope to see more of this Shapovalov. He does look very fit and he played with good strategy in general, playing offense when he found the openings. He also exploited the slightly weaker Tsitsipas BH. A couple of his DTL FHs floored Tsitsipas.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Great performance by Shapovalov, I think he's ready to make his move into the top 10 this year.

Reactions: 2MatchPointsDown

·
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great performance by Shapovalov, I think he's ready to make his move into the top 10 this year.
I'm not 100% sold yet but I agree he's made some strides and he seemed very in his element today.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'm not 100% sold yet but I agree he's made some strides and he seemed very in his element today.
The threshold is pretty low right now anyways, while RBA and Monfils are defending lots of points before March. He could well make it before Miami if he maintains the consistency he showed in the end of last year and has a big run somewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well done, Denis!!!!! Loved watching him when he is on! Denis is the next level than Felix at this moment. Felix needs to add variety in his game (please have Felix’s coach secretly talk with Bianca’s coach!! Lol) in order to compete with the top 10 players.

Seems that both Denis and Felix are always in Tsitsipas’s head. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
472 Posts
No breaks, Shapovalov the steadier when it mattered and very potent off his serve. Tsitsipas sunk his teeth into the match but was perhaps inhibited at pts (Shapovalov more dynamic and aggressive). Tsitsipas will need to work on return and also on defending when having to react quickly, because a lot of times his transition from the backcourt made him vulnerable.

I hope to see more of this Shapovalov. He does look very fit and he played with good strategy in general, playing offense when he found the openings. He also exploited the slightly weaker Tsitsipas BH. A couple of his DTL FHs floored Tsitsipas.
Equal game with mutual chances of success. Tsitsipas made more errors and lost.
I did not like Shapovalov’s disgusting net game and a weak return game. However, everything was as expected.

·
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Equal game with mutual chances of success. Tsitsipas made more errors and lost.
I did not like Shapovalov’s disgusting net game and a weak return game. However, everything was as expected.
Shapovalov has good approach shots to set up, but his touch when it comes to non-drive volleys could use work for sure.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tsitsipas is impressively awful at returning lefty serves
It's the trouble of that single hander. He needs to learn a left block DTL a bit like Federer to neutralise some of the advantage. I also found how vulnerable he is to the body serve. He has a bit of a large takeback so he can get caught easily --> shanks or imprecise returns. That was the reason he couldn't quite break through against Nadal in their Abu Dhabi exhibition, just too many missed returns on break pts.

That said, I will cut him a bit of slack today. Denis does have one of the best lefty serves on tour right now being able to slide with pace, and also hit the T pretty sweetly too (an underrated aspect of his game), but the ad court return of Tsitsipas is certainly a palpable weakness to his game. Not the only weakness though that Denis exploited though. Tsitsipas also hates deep balls especially to the BH; it james him up. Where Federer often half volleys on such balls, he compensates by running around BHs for FHs or changing pace with slice often. Tsitsipas doesn't do that but will need to figure a solution to those balls.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Pretty high quality match but Shapovalov just a bit better in the clutch and served better as well. If he plays like this consistently, top 5 is without question after big 3 retire.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts