Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Neutral on him but props to de Minaur, seems to be fully back on track since late last year. Let's see now if he brings the goods at AO '20.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Demon literally playing with Zverev and Shapo, both times came back from a set and 2-4 both opponents smashed their rackets and both got destroyed in the final set!!! well done toying with them!

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,990 Posts
Seems like Aussie players are determined to win this whole thing.
And hopefully will.

Millman is most solid man on earth.
Kyrgios is the coolest man on earth.
Alex is a great figther.

They all have good qualities smd love to watch them....

Without Murray and Pospisil, makes Aus my number 1 team.

Go Aussie Go

Alex proving haters wrong. Weaponless my ass

Reactions: Sparlingo and MWW

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Usually shotmakers of high rank have beaten DM so far. This might be his first win.

Very disappointed with Shapo. He shouldn't have given this away.

Reactions: Sparlingo

·
Registered
755 Posts
De Minaur beat Shapo at Davis Cup Finals too.
That's true. It was a similar kind of match which first looked like an easy win for Denis but Alex turning it around halfway. I certainly didn't see this as an easy win for Denis - people seem to forget they are neck and neck in the rankings. And De Minaur was playing to his home crowd.

·
justice for all
17,942 Posts
It’s a pity Denis didn’t win it in 2 cause he should have. For me this matchup is very much like early Fed vs Hewitt. Minotaur should hurry to get some wins under his belt cause once Denis figures it out he’ll run away with the rest.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
And hopefully will.

Millman is most solid man on earth.
Kyrgios is the coolest man on earth.
Alex is a great figther.

They all have good qualities smd love to watch them....

Without Murray and Pospisil, makes Aus my number 1 team.

Go Aussie Go

Alex proving haters wrong. Weaponless my ass
You are an Aussie at heart :D

Usually shotmakers of high rank have beaten DM so far. This might be his first win.

Much to learn. Shapo's ranking has surged but his experience still needs to catch up. I will give Alex that win over Kei at the USO but Kei made 62 UEs about sums up that match (and Kei closed his season after that).

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
You are an Aussie at heart :D

Much to learn. Shapo's ranking has surged but his experience still needs to catch up. I will give Alex that win over Kei at the USO but Kei made 62 UEs about sums up that match (and Kei closed his season after that).
I don't even mean someone like Nishi, who is obviously better. But guys with firepower, constantly. Fed, Tsits, Sinner, Tsonga kinda deal. Obviously Rafa. Previously he hit a wall against those top players. I thought Shapo was one of them now.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
I don't even mean someone like Nishi, who is obviously better. But guys with firepower, constantly. Fed, Tsits, Sinner, Tsonga kinda deal. Obviously Rafa. Previously he hit a wall against those top players. I thought Shapo was one of them now.
Fair enough. I see what you mean. Shapo though is still a very raw player. I don't trust his consistency YET even if he does hit big shots at times. What you can expect from Alex is he'll run down every ball as much as he can, sometimes with interest and that's enough to do the job today.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The long exchanges between Denis' FH crosscourt and Alex's backhand were strongly in Alex's favour, which I didn't expect. Denis kept waiting for a weaker ball to attack, but it never came; and every time he tried to change the direction and hit a winner down the line he missed it. As soon as Denis figures out how to win those rallies he'll turn this match-up on its head. Still, very impressive from Demon.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Another fantastic effort from the young Aussie (y)
(y)
Seems like Aussie players are determined to win this whole thing.
They can’t. No class.
Demon literally playing with Zverev and Shapo, both times came back from a set and 2-4 both opponents smashed their rackets and both got destroyed in the final set!!! well done toying with them!
Which is insidious, however. ?
Just out of luck. 7 games of absolute bad luck happened.
De Minaur beat Shapo at Davis Cup Finals too.
Uh-huh:(.
Inconsistency is still an issue.
But was there ever consistency?
And De Minaur was playing to his home crowd.
And so need to lose?
How can Shapolov lose to this weaponless pusher after beating Sisipass?
I agree. Ordinary runner, nothing more.
Minotaur should hurry to get some wins under his belt cause once Denis figures it out he’ll run away with the rest.
(y)
Shapo's ranking has surged but his experience still needs to catch up.
A place in ranking does not correlate to his game, as I said earlier.
I thought Shapo was one of them now.
I thought too :(
Shapo though is still a very raw player.
Agree. A completely untrained player. And it's been 3 years in Tour. Need a qualified coach!
As soon as Denis figures out how to win those rallies he'll turn this match-up on its head. Still, very impressive from Demon.
Need an experienced and qualified coach!

·
Registered
755 Posts
The long exchanges between Denis' FH crosscourt and Alex's backhand were strongly in Alex's favour, which I didn't expect. Denis kept waiting for a weaker ball to attack, but it never came; and every time he tried to change the direction and hit a winner down the line he missed it. As soon as Denis figures out how to win those rallies he'll turn this match-up on its head. Still, very impressive from Demon.
Alex did well to stop Denis attacking tennis in the 3rd by consistently hitting deep and keeping Denis on the back foot. It was good strategy.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I’m rooting for Australia cause I like kyrgios but god damn de Minaur is boring as fuck. I rooted for him just for Australia to win but i would root for Shapovalov otherwise. Even so, de minaur will hit a wall soon cause speed can only take you so far but you need shots that are weapons and he just doesn’t have any.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts