Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A lot of media outlets reporting the inevitable fate of the ATP Cup in 2021. Official confirmation should be out soon. Both Pique Cup and ATP Cup failed to stage their subsequent events. #cursed

·
King Of Tennis
3,248 Posts
Shame, but at least we can reflect back on our memories of King winning sets 18 and 19 in a row on hardcourt against Nadal in the final and then winning the decisive doubles tie while Nadal sat on the bench like a coward to avoid another beatdown.

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
Well it is unofficial, and I am pretty sure players need a warm up event, above all when things are going the way of a quarantine WITHOUT training as Victoria state can not control 300 to 600 players training in Melbourne (and moving from quarantine venues to Flinders Park) the way they announced (under rule of policemen)...

So I still guess we can have a short ATP Cup (8 teams) and something like a 250 at the same time between 01/24 and 02/01.

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
That said, after more thinking, maybe ATP Tournaments Directors are too selfish and greedy and do not a want a two week delayed Australian Open so that they can be sure to have room enough for their own Tournaments, rescheduled Doha, and extended Madrid Open ^^

·
Your visions will happen
49,209 Posts
... So just 89 weeks to go now,huh.
Yes only Laver, Gonzales, Renshaw, and Tilden left to surpass

Would need to hold #1 until Apr 2022 if my math is correct, which will also tie him with 7 YE #1 along with Renshaw/Gonzales/Tilden, however, none of them won more than 17 slams

For me Laver is the real target. 19 slams and 353 weeks

·
Premium Member
8,488 Posts
Excellent news if true.

Reactions: Eliande

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Hope we won´t lose another year....

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like fake news to me, people making assumptions, was hoping to find more information here, not media rumor thread :rolleyes:
Reuters pedalling fake news?

·
Super Moderator
12,371 Posts
Reuters pedalling fake news?
To make a good thread , linking this article when making the thread would have been more productive 👍

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Absolute ridiculous result of sacrificing even this tournament to the pandemic.
Hoping that in some form they will have the backlash they deserve for this.
(That Auckland and Brisbane + Perth all were gone, you could still understand, but originally they planned to play ATP Cup in Melbourne in the AO facilities.)

Yes only Laver, Gonzales, Renshaw, and Tilden left to surpass

Would need to hold #1 until Apr 2022 if my math is correct, which will also tie him with 7 YE #1 along with Renshaw/Gonzales/Tilden, however, none of them won more than 17 slams

For me Laver is the real target. 19 slams and 353 weeks
Djokovic needs only 2 slams, 2 semis or even finals and 4-5 Masters to secure that. In that case the rest will be split up among Thiem, Nadal and Medvedev and nobody's points would be enough to topple him from #1.
Or he could go the hard way and win only one slam but lots of finals/semis and lots of (at least) final appearances in Masters/minor tourneys, and even that could be not enough in the end if someone wins 2 slams... and some other bigger tourneys.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To make a good thread , linking this article when making the thread would have been more productive 👍
As I mentioned in the OP, there were several media outlets reporting the same, that's why I didn't want to pick one. People who don't trust my word could just type "ATP Cup canceled" and get a plethora of results. But noted for next time;)

Reactions: a1canada

·
Super Moderator
12,371 Posts
ATP cup is a particularly good warm up for AO with a few matches for each player, so hopefully they find a way to make it happen , basically as an exhibition for AO .

Not saying I blame Australia for wanting to keep Covid out, seems they just had a big sacrifice to get Covid out ahead of vaccines and this is a significant risk with players coming from countries with high numbers , tough call for them for certain 😳

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
yah, looks serious. made the news today in numerous news outlets, so i'd expect it to be confirmed soon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts