Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Full article here http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/atp-announces-2016-atp-world-tour-calendar

The ATP has released the 2016 ATP World Tour calendar following approval by the ATP Board of Directors. The 2016 ATP World Tour will feature 62 tournaments in 31 countries across six continents, in addition to the four Grand Slams and the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
The inclusion of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro necessitates a two-week gap between the Rogers Cup in Toronto and the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati. Toronto takes place in week 31 and Cincinnati moves to week 34, with the Claro Open Colombia taking place in week 33 alongside the Olympic Games. The BB&T Atlanta Open in Atlanta moves to week 32.

“The inclusion of the Olympic Games every fourth year adds some challenges. We believe we have found the best possible outcome in what is an unavoidably congested period during the 2016 summer,” said Kermode.

The tournament category status of Vienna / Valencia for 2016 will be determined later this year. In addition, a separate announcement concerning the future of the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals will follow in due course

Calandar link here http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/files/2016-atp-calendar.pdf?la=en
I've taken a screenshot of French Open to US Open section as it's probably what most people will be interested in because of the Olympics :)

A bit of a conundrum for Dominic Thiem next year though. Umag, Gstaad and Kitzbühel all scheduled in the same week :tape::sadface:

And the 2016 Olympic Schedule for Tennis

Link here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Olympics aren't even the best tournament in their week. :lol: I expect all strong era warriors to play in GOATgota.

·
23,473 Posts
I've taken a screenshot of French Open to US Open section as it's probably what most people will be interested in because of the Olympics :)

A bit of a conundrum for Dominic Thiem next year though. Umag, Gstaad and Kitzbühel all scheduled in the same week :tape::sadface:
4 tournaments in one week? :eek: That's a bit messed up. :lol: Now I will dub that week as "Thiem Slam" week. :lol: Anyway we know Thiem would just drop one of these points but just can't defend both titles. Interesting to see Atlanta after Cinci seeing and the Bogota Slam in the same week as the Olympics though.

·
Registered
13,794 Posts
Looks more favourable for Toronto than last time when the event was held right after the 2012 Olympics. With the gap in between, most of the top guys should be there this time around.

·
23,473 Posts
Looks more favourable for Toronto than last time when the event was held right after the 2012 Olympics. With the gap in between, most of the top guys should be there this time around.
Although personally I wonder why Bogota wasn't put with Atlanta instead...I know Bogota is not a big name attraction but I think it's better to have just one week focus on the Olympics (unless of course this would attract top ranked players from big tennis countries, which are going to be restricted to play in the Olympics due to the quota).

·
Registered
13,794 Posts
Although personally I wonder why Bogota wasn't put with Atlanta instead...I know Bogota is not a big name attraction but I think it's better to have just one week focus on the Olympics (unless of course this would attract top ranked players from big tennis countries, which are going to be restricted to play in the Olympics due to the quota).
A 500 event, Washington, was actually during the Olympics last time. Dolgopolov won it, I believe. This is better.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Scandalous summer calendar, how can you schedule five clay ATP tournaments in only two weeks? We play almost everything on hard, and even summer clay has been almost deleted... ATP, go to hell.

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
That's an insane amount of tournaments.

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
Also is the DC the same week as a 500 and two 250s?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Don't see how anyone can complain. This scheduling is great. Bogota has challenger fields anyway so the olympics being on makes no difference. Also, no back to back masters, I think they've done a good job.

·
Super Moderator
8,828 Posts
Looks like a horrible calendar. Could they not put at least one American HC-tournament in February? :confused:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Interesting schedule by why on earth did they put Washington (a 500 event), Kitzbuhel, Umag and Gstaad in the same week? In my option get rid of Gstaad. There's already a swiss 250 on clay (Geneva) and compared to Kitzbuhel and Umag it isn't as good.

·
Registered
814 Posts
How cute of the ATP to pretend the WTF will move from London :smooch:

·
Registered
26,101 Posts
lol Hamburg could even lose Kohli, Zverev, Fognini, Spaniards due to Davis Cup. I guess Haas has to save the event.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Has there ever been 4 ATP events in one week before?

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
Thiem's ranking is going to suffer horribly after that monster week :lol: He better hope he's far up the rankings with a decent cushion from other tournaments to stop him from falling too far.

The calendar looks good during that part section of the year. I like how they've spaced out the two masters tournaments, whereas this year they're played back to back :tape:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts