Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I type this, according to live ATP rankings, 6 out of the 8 quarterfinalists are poised to reach their new career high ATP ranking when the official rankings are updated on Monday.

If I counted right, 12 players that played Rio this week are, as of now, projected to be at their new career highs coming Monday.

Seems like one of the best places to vulture some points in the entire ATP calendar. Are there any other tournaments that come to mind that are as good a bang for a challenger mug’s buck as Rio?

·
justice for all
18,036 Posts
As I type this, according to live ATP rankings, 6 out of the 8 quarterfinalists are poised to reach their career high ATP ranking when the official rankings are updated on Monday.

If I counted right, 12 players that played Rio this week are, as of now, projected to be at their career highs coming Monday.

Seems like one of the best places to vulture some points in the entire ATP calendar. Are there any other tournaments that come to mind that are as good a bang for a challenger mug’s buck as Rio?
Hope you have included Dominic "Dominator" Thiem in that pack who will be at career high no3 in the world starting on Monday, you bean-counter! Come on!

Seriously - I don't understand why so many people seem to have a problem with this SA clay swing. Not all tournaments can be played in Europe and North America, you westerners!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Doubtful. Kind of shocking for a 500. But I don't begrudge the ATP, we need at least one 500 event in South America. Just in a weird spot in the calendar (see other thread).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doubtful. Kind of shocking for a 500. But I don't begrudge the ATP, we need at least one 500 event in South America. Just in a weird spot in the calendar (see other thread).
Yeah, I saw your comment on the other thread. I also think having IW/Miami before the SA swing coupled with having 2 ATP 500 on clay back to back in SA (either move Acapulco to clay or promote another SA tourney to 500) would draw a lot more top players to the SA clay swing.

The other thread was focused on improving the calendar. This one I just wanted to see if anyone could think of a better “deal” in the calendar. Some 250s are also very badly placed in the calendar, but I think in terms of 500, Rio is probably the best “deal” for lower ranked players.

Not Rio’s fault. To their credit they did it right. From giving wild cards to promising youngsters, to scheduling matches late in the day to prevent the stifling heat to interfere too much with players and crowd. Even the crowd was surprisingly respectful yesterday during Coric vs Seyboth Wild, all things considered. It’s the ATP that should get their act together.

·
Your visions will happen
51,343 Posts
Finally these guys get a good pay day once in their careers

Even better there is such a big fish like Thiem in the draw that one of these guys can beat and tell his grandkids about. For Thiem, it is just a random loss in an unimportant 500 event. For the other guy, it is the win of his life.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Finally these guys get a good pay day once in their careers

Even better there is such a big fish like Thiem in the draw that one of these guys can beat and tell his grandkids about. For Thiem, it is just a random loss in an unimportant 500 event. For the other guy, it is the win of his life.
This. Im very happy for most of them to have this opportunity (Cordoba - Buenos Aires - Rio de Janeiro - Santiago) to show their quality and make statement that the challenger tour is full of good players.

Pella as a top seed next week. He was beaten by a player who got beaten by a player who is a LL. And that player - Balazs - is hardly a monster on challenger tour despite having his career best ranking. Shows you the quality challenger tour has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts