Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Re: ATP 500 Hamburg will crown European Tennis Champion!

"Hamburg Open European Championships"

what the fck does this even mean

same tournament as always, now randomly calling winner european champion? This is retarded

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

Hamburg should re think strategies and whole complete changes to overcome mediocrity given by the Atp, not giving undeserved tittles :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts

It is really curious that in a period when tennis is terribly lacking of audience (even Dubai stands were empty this Morning for matches like Basilashvili Khachanov which was quite promising) ITF, ATP and Tennis Europe does not try to Promote what is original in Tennis but try to copy what happens in soccer with adding things like 1 Week ATP Cup or Davis Cup and now crowning European Champion in a midsummer Tournament when all Stars will be resting after The French and Wimbledon.

IMO Tennis is suffering with too much tournaments (since Bo18 was launched) and ADDING is not the clue.

I am afraid Slams will stay the major Goal for top players and they will not focuse that much on a late November Davis Cup when they just want resting after Paris and London, or weeks before AO when they just need to improve their skills without running out of gas (we all see what happened to the guys trying too much before AO : RBA Medvedev Sandgren or even Federer)

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

Further details were also revealed about the creation of a new European Championship event for players aged 21 & Under. Tennis Europe’s 50 constituent national tennis associations will each be able to nominate their leading Next Generation players.
That sounds even more hilarious.
With today's ATP rankings we are talking about Tsitsipas, Humbert, Ruud, Kecmanovic, Molleker, Davidovich Fokina, Rodionov, Clarke, M. Ymer, Moroni, Kotov, Gojo, Valkusz, Ruusuvuori, Bergs, Vrbensky, Nijboer, Klein, Michalski, Kirkin, Paul, Cacao and 28 players without any ATP ranking points.
You can imagine who will participate and who won't.

·
Registered
756 Posts

Poor Hamburg trying to remind people it's still a thing :hug:
I'm interested on a new WTA tournament, though.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

It is really curious that in a period when tennis is terribly lacking of audience (even Dubai stands were empty this Morning for matches like Basilashvili Khachanov which was quite promising) ITF, ATP and Tennis Europe does not try to Promote what is original in Tennis but try to copy what happens in soccer with adding things like 1 Week ATP Cup or Davis Cup and now crowning European Champion in a midsummer Tournament when all Stars will be resting after The French and Wimbledon.

IMO Tennis is suffering with too much tournaments (since Bo18 was launched) and ADDING is not the clue.

I am afraid Slams will stay the major Goal for top players and they will not focuse that much on a late November Davis Cup when they just want resting after Paris and London, or weeks before AO when they just need to improve their skills without running out of gas (we all see what happened to the guys trying too much before AO : RBA Medvedev Sandgren or even Federer)
ATP as an organization kind of deserves boomerang to be hitted back to them for all "work"they've done over the years in promoting game and players

Few h ago I made brief look at ATP site,

In last 24h they had wonderful inspirational (to all players , fans, to people who follow tennis occasionally) story about tennis player winning his first ATP title against young upcoming player ( at biggest tournament of the last week ,btw), yet main page turned in Fed fan page as soon as he won his match against Kohlschreiber against whom he was 13 0 before btw:spit:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts

ATP as an organization kind of deserves boomerang to be hitted back to them for all "work"they've done over the years in promoting game and players

Few h ago I made brief look at ATP site,

In last 24h they had wonderful inspirational (to all players , fans, to people who follow tennis occasionally) story about tennis player winning his first ATP title against young upcoming player ( at biggest tournament of the last week ,btw), yet main page turned in Fed fan page as soon as he won his match against Kohlschreiber against whom he was 13 0 before btw:spit:
I am afraid they try to Promote it kind of social network to be closer of the Younger audience but they did not realize they have lost the fight years ago, first vs. Soccer and Basket Ball where players were looking "true" (compared to tennis where players speeches were controlled by PR and any weird behaviour was sanctionned : Kyrgios Tomic or critized Fognini Djokovic….) what gave tennis a stiffy look.

And now to skateboard, breakdance or egames that are to become Olympians in Paris for the earlier ones and spread a rebel attitude praised at least in Western European Countries by Younger ones.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

I am afraid they try to Promote it kind of social network to be closer of the Younger audience but they did not realize they have lost the fight years ago, first vs. Soccer and Basket Ball where players were looking "true" (compared to tennis where players speeches were controlled by PR and any weird behaviour was sanctionned : Kyrgios Tomic or critized Fognini Djokovic….) what gave tennis a stiffy look.

And now to skateboard, breakdance or egames that are to become Olympians in Paris for the earlier ones and spread a rebel attitude praised at least in Western European Countries by Younger ones.
It will take at least decade before tennis as sport recovers from brainwashing(selling the class….. erm products you know) potential viewers day in and day out. Till they find new ways:nerd:;)

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts

It will take at least decade before tennis as sport recovers from brainwashing(selling the class….. erm products you know) potential viewers day in and day out. Till they find new ways:nerd:;)
As long as you want to keep your Appeal to the poshy sponsors like Rollex or BNP Paribas but at the same time attract the larger younger audience from middle class, it recquires both an Old School and Rebel Image and need to stay perpetually in an oversplit, which anyways appears fake.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

As long as you want to keep your Appeal to the poshy sponsors like Rollex or BNP Paribas but at the same time attract the larger younger audience from middle class, it recquires both an Old School and Rebel Image and need to stay perpetually in an oversplit, which anyways appears fake.
Looks like Tststipas ( or PR behind him) is trying to do it

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

I also propose Fed and Stan to play in Swiss National Championships to be crowned as the champion of Switzerland. Best would be a 128 draw with no byes. Best of 5.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts

Looks like Tststipas ( or PR behind him) is trying to do it
I do not like Tsitsipas but I must admit I was surprised on how uncovered and "true" he appeared in his interviews, not sure there are a lot of PR in it, or it is a brand new kind of because it is risky buisiness to expose your inner feelings even when it is to say "Dzumhur does not try anything on court".

I can not see the classy Old school in him but I am probably biased TBH.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: ATP interfered. The tournament will be renamed again and there won't be a European champion.

Hamburg Open European Tennis Championships -> Hamburg European Open

:lol:

·
Registered
990 Posts

I also propose Fed and Stan to play in Swiss National Championships to be crowned as the champion of Switzerland. Best would be a 128 draw with no byes. Best of 5.
I'd much prefer a Spanish one with the organisers trolling them and holding it on grass.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts