Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bumpy start by Isner, looked a little bit tired from the go and showed some fairly negative body language all through the first set. That was a wake up call and from that moment all the way to the title he showed more confidence than Harrison, who started to crumble and waste several BP chances in that 2nd set. The decider was an early break and hold kind of deal.

All in all an average match with neither player at his finest and struggling to find some rhythm. #5th Atlanta title for Big John and #15 overall, let's see if he can lift his level for Washington.

·
Registered
486 Posts
re: Atlanta F: [1]Isner def [8]Harrison 5-7 6-3 6-4

Seeing as Ryan is from Louisiana, this was too perfect! :)

"Somebody said he came from New Orleans
Where he got in a fight over a Cajun Queen
And a crashin' blow from a huge right hand
Sent a Louisiana fellow to the promised land, big John
(Big John, big John)
Big bad John (big John)"

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts

I have always liked Big John and I'm happy that he has had a great season so far. It seems like he is breaking serve more often, which is good to see. He did look tired though. Perhaps he is still feeling the effects of that marathon SF at Wimbledon. That was only two weeks ago. I'm surprised he played here tbh. But anyway, glad to see him win another title at Atlanta. Hope he does well in Washington too.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts

This is a tournament Big John has owned for a number of years now. I wouldn't doubt that the Wimbledon S/F took a lot out of him. But he has won so many times in Atlanta he definitely did want to play there and again he picked up the title.

·
Registered
546 Posts

I wonder if he runs out of gas in DC. It would be a shame because his draw gives him a great opportunity to win.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts

Great tournament by Ryan Harrison, could launch his career.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts

Did Harrison actually "WASTE" break points as you call it or was he aced/big served?!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts

Did Harrison actually "WASTE" break points as you call it or was he aced/big served?!
He wasted at least 2 of them. They were almost all on a 2nd serve, one he had a fairly easy passing shot to hit. He bottled it when Isner looked on the ropes.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts

*6-3 2nd set. was vintage Isner looking dead and buried/putting in limited effort in the 2nd set until serving/1-2ing his way out of a hole and then suddenly looking like he actually hadn't broken 20 bones and turned the match round. eventual racquet smash and talking to himself was NID from Harrison, but he held it together longer than expected.

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Atlanta F: [1]Isner def [8]Harrison 5-7 6-3 6-4

I wonder if he runs out of gas in DC. It would be a shame because his draw gives him a great opportunity to win.
I think he's bound to skip at least a single tournament before the USO. The question is which one. He already looked gassed in Atlanta so maybe attempting Canada/Cinci B2B could backfire.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

Everyone will be isnerized at the US Open. Isner is on fire. Skip Winston Salem and isnerize the US Open.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Good result to see Isner get over Harrison. I suspect he'll have a pretty mighty USO season this year.

·
23,064 Posts

If John goes more than 2 rounds at Washington I would pull out of Toronto if I were him. Play Cincy and then with another week off he should be fresh for the US Open.
Withdrawing for Toronto may actually be a good idea (although he has clinched a Bye after reaching the Final her in Atlanta) seeing he has an Exempt he can use (and actually free up an Optional tournament slot).

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Isners been a monster this season
He started the year pretty terribly, but that Miami win really turned things around. He's been solid since then for the most part and is giving himself a good shot at reaching the WTF.

14th title too. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

Everyone will be isnerized at the US Open. Isner is on fire. Skip Winston Salem and isnerize the US Open.
I think the conditions are there, the chances are there also. For a lot of players this time. Isner is one of them. The big 3 are great and likely the winners but also get tired. It's a matter of peaking at the right time and mentally ready which he could be. US(Wide)Open for 6 7 players, is my thinking at this point.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Isner has been playing his best tennis this season, no doubt. Harrison is a decent player, but mentally pretty weak, so Isner's gonna beat him 9 out of 10 times on any surface and at any place

1 - 20 of 23 Posts