Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is current Nadal better on mid paced mid to high bounce hard than clay?

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it is worth discussing. Nadal has made it to both HC Grand Slam finals since he's comeback and would surely have won both if not for the back injury. On Clay in 2013 and 2014 his success comes more from lack of depth in the field of good clay courters than it does from his good play. He played very lackluster throughout the whole of the 2013 clay season (barring a few good moments and matches here and there) and won a lot of his titles because of lapdogs in later rounds of tournaments (Almagro, Wawrinka, Federer, Ferrer) and even some hardcore choking (Ferrer Madrid). It's not that Nadal was spectacular, it more that the competition lacked. Whereas on mid to high bouncing hard court since his comeback, Nadal has only lost to Djokovic in Miami and Dolgo in Indian Wells. I believe at this point in his career, the past is the past for Nadal on clay and he will do better on Us Open style hardcourts now. That doesn't mean Nadal still won't dominate the clay season but he's going to have to play well or hope that no one shows up ala 2013, or a combo of both.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
he is still his best surface, he was able to win Rio playing like shit but then lost in IW. lively High bouncing, Medium-Fast hardcourts are his second best surface. However I agree he has declined on clay.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would like to believe this is true and also the reason he must be declining on Clay is because it requires a lot of physical effort and movement which obviously with growing age isn't coming the way it used to when he was pre-26. Hard surface allows him to finish off the points in lesser time and hence he can sustain the physical toll. This is what I would like to believe however we never know with Nadal.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hard to say. I get your point, given how he played during the clay season of 2013 vs most of the Hardcourt season. If the same thing happens this year, it'd definitely merit an argument.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
He played very lackluster throughout the whole of the 2013 clay season (barring a few good moments and matches here and there) and won a lot of his titles because of lapdogs in later rounds of tournaments (Almagro, Wawrinka, Federer, Ferrer) and even some hardcore choking (Ferrer Madrid). It's not that Nadal was spectacular, it more that the competition lacked.
Wow! At least someone admits it.

Anyway, Nadull has not looked invincible on clay for a while now. With that said, I will still argue that Nadull got lucky in his USA HC stretch but his USO form was very good. He hasn't played at that level since.

Maybe dull will never play at that level again, since it required winning all those HC events that he will never repeat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts