Mens Tennis Forums banner

During his heyday, wow would Andre have compared to Roger?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
well, andre always had close matches with fed last year.

for a time, roger was andre's bitch especially back in 2003 AO.

but if we will assume that both play against each other at their peaks (95/99 andre and 04/05 roger), it might be a close sampras-agassi like rivalry

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
megadeth said:
well, andre always had close matches with fed last year.

for a time, roger was andre's bitch especially back in 2003 AO.

but if we will assume that both play against each other at their peaks (95/99 andre and 04/05 roger), it might be a close sampras-agassi like rivalry
It would be a better rivalry, actually than sampras-agassi.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Roger have only lost 3 matches for the moment and for 2 of them he had match points. Andre lost more matches in his better year.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Andre Agassi is no Roger Federer...

Then again,

Roger Federer in no Andre Agassi....

Each brings (has brought) something very special to the game....

And neither, in his own rare uniqueness, may ever come our way again....

Appreciate each ... and embrace that part of each one that suits what tennis is to you.

jcm

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Peak Andre-Roger would be similar to peak Sampras-Andre. Pete and Roger were better allround players than Andre. Andre was a great player, Pete and Roger just a bit better.

·
Registered
10,453 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
At Andre's peak Roger wasnt around. If Roger had been around at that time it would have been similar to the Pete-Andre rivalry. Maybe they could have had a 3 way rivalry. Roger is very similar to Pete at his peak.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Andre almost beat him last year at the US OPEN and he's not in his prime. I think they would have had a terrific rivalry, probably evening out.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
RebelNYC said:
Andre almost beat him last year at the US OPEN and he's not in his prime. I think they would have had a terrific rivalry, probably evening out.
That match isn't really indicative of the rivalry though.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I'd agree. Roger would probably just shade it now (winning 65% of the time). But then again I'm not sure Roger is quite at the very peak of his development yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts