Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For now it looks like Corona Virus will take out both events, in addition to the US Open but for fun, let's say both are played at the same time, after the US Open.

Which players following the US Open would choose to play Laver Cup on hard court in Boston, thus boycotting the French Open on clay in Paris?

Ok, obviously Laver Cup has many fewer players who are eligible to play the event (12), so at first glance one would think that the best dirtballers like Nadal and Thiem would almost certainly play the French Open.
But it's not necessarily so. For those that play the US Open, it might be much easier to play the 3 day Laver Cup on hard court and have a guaranteed participation fee + $250,000 if on the winning team, than make the switch to dirt.

I think the following players would be invited to play Laver Cup, and the ones without a question mark have a good chance of accepting.

TEAM EUROPE
Novak Djokovic?
RAFA Nadal?? (Why not, maybe RAFA will take the high road. Him boycotting RG would probably leave FFT and Guy Forget in ruins.)
Roger Federer
Andy Murray
Stefanos Tsitsipas
Roberto Bautista Agut
David Goffin
Alex Zverev?
Fabio Fognini?

TEAM WORLD
Nick Kyrgios
Juan Martin Del Potro if healthy
Diego Schwartzman
Denis Shapovalov
John Isner
Jack Sock
Alex de Minaur
Milos Raonic
Felix Auger-Aliassime

Any more?

Yes, if I were the Laver Cup tournament director, I would definitely invite RAFA, make him an offer..., and see what's going on. :)

Sadly though, I think this decision won't need to be made thanks to SARS-CoV-2 long lasting effects. :(

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Administrator
12,410 Posts
Despite the slams being only a week or so apart, there's too many points available between both slams for any top player looking to climb the rankings to skip.

·
|
16,474 Posts
Rafa and Thiem already committed to Roland Garros.
Rafa approved of the September rescheduling, and Thiem has recently said he's playing both the US Open and Roland Garros.

Wolfgang Thiem says it will be demanding to play two Grand Slams in a short time but his son Dominic Thiem isn't planning on missing any Major event. On March 17, the French Tennis Federation (FFT) announced a new date for the French Open as the plan now is to hold the lone clay Grand Slam event from September 20 - October 4.

·
|
16,474 Posts
Despite the slams being only a week or so apart, there's too many points available between both slams for any top player looking to climb the rankings to skip.
Plus nearly everyone in the US Open will lose in the 1st Week, so they'll have plenty of time before Roland Garros, if they want to practice on clay for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And if ATP does decide Not to award points for RG as has been mentioned?

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
justice for all
18,925 Posts
All of them apart from Fed would choose the French Open.

The money and the ranking points talk.

And if ATP decides to penalise RG and not grant any points I still believe the majority (90%) would choose the French. As for now RG has still much much more prestige even though their reputation has been a bit damaged by that unilateral move with the new tournament timing.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
No chance Nadal, Djokovic or Thiem would play the Laver Cup.

Federer obviously would, and I think he can get a few other high profile players, if 1) they are not good on clay or generally in poor form, and 2) receive a big payout.

I can imagine a list along the lines of Federer, Kyrgios, Dimitrov, Shapovalov, Isner, Fritz, Opelka, ...for example.

And if they can get Andy Murray and Del Potro (both too injured to play a Grand Slam) - that would be huge for the Laver Cup.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
LC of course, because Boston people really really like to watch tennis, second only to football, basketball, baseball and ice hockey.

·
Your visions will happen
52,957 Posts
And if ATP does decide Not to award points for RG as has been mentioned?

Respectfully,
masterclass
Even in such a doomsday scenario of bitter infighting of tennis alphabet organizations, real statisticians and historians will know the real rankings, even if the ATP is petty

I still have hope we can do a US HC season

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We were hoping that Wimbledon would be played, the premiere and most prestigious event in Tennis, even later in the summer, but it isn't happening so...guess what?

While talking about these various possibilities, for sure I'm not looking beyond the next virus case, and hoping I'm not it.

Sadly,
masterclass

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I don't believe that Laver Cup and Roland Garros will effectively be held simultaneously, even assuming tennis tournaments will be played in September.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I could see Federer playing the Laver Cup knowing that his chances to win Roland Garros are slim to none. No other top players would do the same though.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
A funny plot twist would be Laver Cup already having some top players signed to contracts for this year before the COVID-19 crisis struck RG.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts