Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
The interesting thing is that none of this is going away anytime soon. Venezuela has greater oil reserves than Saudi Arabia, it is just thicker and more expensive to extract.

ps - ABC Family owns. They'll show Pat Robertson and The 700 Club, then Cruel Intentions!

Someone told me before each episode of The 700 Club, ABC Family displays something to the effect of, "We are contractually obligated to show the following program." :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Jim Jones said:
I don't condone what Robertson said but I can understand him. Chavez is actively supporting FARC and other leftist groups. One of the FARC leaders was captured in Venezuela and this strained relationship between Colombia & Venezuela. Chavez is exporting instability. lets not forget that FARC are murderous thugs. I'm sure Ingrid Betancourt will agree with this.
Just because a FARC leader was caught in Venezuela doesnt mean Chavez supports him. Its incredibly hard to protect any country's borders against a neighbouring country like Colombia where the FARC are based out of the jungle in the southeast and control more than half the country - for them and their resources its simply a matter of passing from one jungle to another in Venezuela. Its not as if it would be in their interest to declare themselves to the authorities anyway :rolleyes: That Colombian politicians - puppets of the US anyway- should have accused Chavez of supporting the FARC was a PR attempt to discredit Chavez. It was all wishful thinking in that there was absolutely no evidence linking the two. So this whole thing about Chavez supporting the FARC is bullshit and its purpose was to continue to paint Chavez - a democratically elected leader - as an authoritarian with criminal connections. Its simply not true.

Reactions: nermo

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
undomiele said:
Just because a FARC leader was caught in Venezuela doesnt mean Chavez supports him.
That reminds me the case of Luis Posada Carriles who is a terrorist that at least killed 73 people making exploit an airplane of Cubana de Aviación in 1976.
Posada Carriles were caught in USA, and haven't been extradited to Cuba nor to Venezuela (Posada Carrilles got the venezuelan citizenship and worked in its political police and worked for the CIA as well). I wonder why he haven't been extradited when the extradition petition has being already sent. Worse than that: Posada Carriles entered to USA as an illegal immigrant. But unlike the 99% of the illegal immigrants he has received protection and haven't been extradited to Cuba nor to Venezuela.

Does this mean that the government of Bush is protecting terrorists? well, I wouldn't go that far but the comparison between Posada Carrilles being captured in USA and not extradited to be judged for his many and horrible crimes and the leader of the FARC captured in Venezuela and later brought to Colombia makes me think about the double-standard of principles and opinions that many people has when they judges the crimes of somebody labelled as communist, and how those principles and opinions changes when the dude is indeed a terrorist but is an anti-communist one.
I suppose that for many people here a terrorist that kills 80 people exploding an airplane of Cubana de Aviación is not considered as bad as a "guerrillero", am I wrong?.
I suppose that Posada Carriles is not considered a terrorist for many people but a hero who killed those red bastards, right? :rolleyes: (the victims were mainly women and kids, innocents who didn't know anything about communism or capitalism).

No people, a terrorist IS a terrorist, no matters his ideology. Said that, a terrorist is everyone who targets and kills on purpose "civilians" not military or police corps.

Posada Carriles's case will show us how much is really compromised the Bush administration in the so called war on terror. :rolleyes:

stay tuned.

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Robertson is such a has-been moron. I cannot believe anyone takes him serious or gives him any legitimacy.

I sometimes wonder if Robertson is a liberal plant with orders to make conservatives look stupid since everything that comes out of his mouth is either sanctimonious or ignorant.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Re: Assassination of Chavez

undomiele said:
Just because a FARC leader was caught in Venezuela doesnt mean Chavez supports him. Its incredibly hard to protect any country's borders against a neighbouring country like Colombia where the FARC are based out of the jungle in the southeast and control more than half the country - for them and their resources its simply a matter of passing from one jungle to another in Venezuela. Its not as if it would be in their interest to declare themselves to the authorities anyway :rolleyes: That Colombian politicians - puppets of the US anyway- should have accused Chavez of supporting the FARC was a PR attempt to discredit Chavez. It was all wishful thinking in that there was absolutely no evidence linking the two. So this whole thing about Chavez supporting the FARC is bullshit and its purpose was to continue to paint Chavez - a democratically elected leader - as an authoritarian with criminal connections. Its simply not true.
I might be wrong but the FARC leader seemed to be caught in Caracas which suggests that the Venezuelan government knew about his whereabouts. In any case Chavez and his admin. were pissed at the 'kidnapping' of the FARC guy which just shows how much support he had from Venezuela.
So to you the colombian President is a stooge of the U.S.? Funny you sound like those who say Chavez is a stooge of Castro. The world is more complicated than that both Chavez and Colombia President were elected by the people. you can't have a leader who si alway from the left or right.

Jorge has a good point in talking about the political figure that the U.S. won't give away to Venezuela. But remember, Venezuela and U.S. are not on good terms. Why should the U.S. break its back for Venezuela? Anyway, I wish Venezuela good luck. they are cursed with oil. many developing nations are unstable because of this precious commodity.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

Jim Jones said:
I might be wrong but the FARC leader seemed to be caught in Caracas which suggests that the Venezuelan government knew about his whereabouts. In any case Chavez and his admin. were pissed at the 'kidnapping' of the FARC guy which just shows how much support he had from Venezuela.

"I might be wrong..." and "suggests that the Venezuelan government knew about his whereabouts" and Chavez being "pissed" about the FARC guy being caught when he could have been simply pissed off about Colombia's unfounded accusations of harbouring him (a natural reaction).. now this kind of language doesn't constitute proof nor certainty on your end does it? And why should that be? Cos there is no evidence or proof of the link .

I dare to you to supply some legitimate proof here Jimmy. I know the idea of supplying proof for your assertions is an alien concept to you but you could at least try.

Besides that, I absolutely see no reason how or why Chavez would benefit from funding or supporting a loose gun like the FARC. What would be his motive here?

So to you the colombian President is a stooge of the U.S.? Funny you sound like those who say Chavez is a stooge of Castro. The world is more complicated than that both Chavez and Colombia President were elected by the people. you can't have a leader who si alway from the left or right.
Actually I'm of the opinion that the world would be a lot less complicated if idiots like you actually developed a brain. :rolleyes: Colombia is well within the sphere of US directives and influences. Under Chavez, Venezuela isn't. Please, everyone knows that.

Jorge has a good point in talking about the political figure that the U.S. won't give away to Venezuela. But remember, Venezuela and U.S. are not on good terms. Why should the U.S. break its back for Venezuela? Anyway, I wish Venezuela good luck. they are cursed with oil. many developing nations are unstable because of this precious commodity.
The US and Venezuela are on good terms economically. Thats the relationship that actually matters. Everthing else is just empty rhetoric. Venezuela sells its oil at ridiculously high prices to the US - and the US gets its oil like the addict it is. If there's any point to Chavez's rhetoric at all that would be making the US-Venezuelan relationship SEEM unstable so that prices would hit the roof even further. But in actuality, the supposed "unstable" relationship is a very stable one. The US has no choice but to buy Venezuelan oil and try to keep oil prices down. The last thing it would want is to take Chavez out - do you have any idea how that would disrupt the world oil market with Iraq being tied up as it is ???? No way. The US could in no way afford to do that with Venezuelan society being as volatile as it is.

The truth is this Robertson fiasco is ultimately going to benefit Venezuela - thats the irony of it all. Investors are nervous as hell about the global oil market as it is and the Robertson talk will only help boost oil prices, much to Vza's benefit and to the chagrin of US buyers. ;) In the end, Chavez is no dummy. He's pumping the US for all its worth. And rightly so.

Reactions: octatennis

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
'Actually I'm of the opinion that the world would be a lot less complicated if idiots like you actually developed a brain. Colombia is well within the sphere of US directives and influences. Under Chavez, Venezuela isn't. Please, everyone knows that.'

Ok, and what about when the previous President, Pastrana who was in power? He was from the opposition. Of course at that time Clinton was in power so probably according to you the U.S. under the democrats influenced the vote in Colombia, pfff. Hey I would love to supply you with proof, problem is I also work. Today is a free day but tomorrow I will be busy working (I do come here too when I work but don't tell my boss;)) I'm also doing forex day trading though. But remind me later on & may be I'll supply you with proof. But you can get it from the web, like from wikipedia or AP news. Look, as I told Nim, I don't believe that the world is divided in black and white. There are also shades of gray and I belong in that area.

I will be happy the day there is no oil in this world which puts a curse on poor nations and the environment. In 50 years from now oil field will be seriously depleted. It would be good to have kids when we are 50- at least for guys :) because they will grow up in a world that's a little different than the one we experienced. That should be fun. The future is so unknown. Maybe soem of our descendants can visit us through a time machine. Time can be bent we just have to know to travel through time. We may also be able to extract DNA from Mammouth fossils and maybe create living mamouths. This I read from a science journal. Would be great if that's the case. i won't witness it but my descendants would if it happens. Alright I getting off topic. I'm not delusional, just being a little creative :lol:

Reactions: willie

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nimomunz said:
seriously what do you guys think? It disgusts me than this guy attempts to do all this in 'Jesus' name' when Jesus was peace-loving and said 'Turn the other cheek.' etc.
I won't take his talk on religion and Christianity too seriously. Most likely, his opinions are more political. Religion is just a convenient euphemism for him and many other politicians to use.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts

Jim Jones said:
Jorge has a good point in talking about the political figure that the U.S. won't give away to Venezuela. But remember, Venezuela and U.S. are not on good terms. Why should the U.S. break its back for Venezuela?
Perhaps because USA has signed an extradition agreement with Venezuela and they're forced by its own law to respect that agreement sending Posada Carriles to Venezuela where he should be judged by his crimes.
If USA doesn't sends Posada Carriles to Venezuela, the gvt of USA would be violating the extradition agremeent as well as the conventions of The Hague and Montreal, besides to be protecting a declared terrorist.

In venezuela doesn't exists the "death penalty" so Posada Carriles wouldn't be executed but punished with 30 to 50 years on jail.

Reactions: octatennis

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
http://www.elmostrador.cl/noticias/...-reune-con-salvador-allende-y-el-che-guevara/

Venezuelan TV channel ViVe launched a video featuring deceased Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez in his arrival to heaven where he's received by historical characters such as Ernesto Che Guevara, Salvador Allende, Eva Perón, Pedro Camejo, Manuelita Sáenz, Ernesto Camilo Cienfuegos and Simón Bolívar. His grandmother, Rosa Inés, reaches a hand for him.

·
RAVE ON
19,974 Posts
That is the definition of cheesy. Especially his "Ha, fooled you suckers" final look into the camera.

But I think you may have resurrected the wrong thread. I thought maybe the Venezuelans had finally got proof that the US caused the cancer.

But thanks for resurrecting the inimitable Jorge.

·
Banned
2,797 Posts
An outstanding and brilliant example of independent media this ViVe channel.

The arrogant western world should take note about this and learn a few things.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
the video came with this note (my translation):

I finish by telling you an anecdote of the times in which i worked as Director of Foreign Relations in the presidency. Late one night, president Chávez and his assessors came to Asunción, Paraguay, in an official visit during the government of president Nicanor Duarte. Given how late it was, we headed directly to the hotel in which we're going to stay. As we got there, the President saw a couple of kids who were no more than 10 years of age outside the hotel lobby. He went to them and asked them what they were doing at that hour. The kids said they hadn't eaten. Immediately, he ordered food to be brought and began talking to them. He questioned them about their home, their parents, whether or nor they were studying, until after a while, he made sure the kids were taken to their home and were taken care of.

A few months passed by and we came back to Asunción, this time in a meeting of Mercosur. Again we came late and, again as we were arriving to the hotel we saw the same kids who called "Chávez, Chávez". The president noticed them and again he reached them with the idea of questioning them about being away from home so late. He asked them what are you doing here? Haven't you eaten? They answered: "we have eaten every day since your last visit Now we came to say hi because we knew you were coming to Paraguay".

Chávez, universal man

by Sergio Rodríguez Gelfenstein

·
RAVE ON
19,974 Posts
What does that even mean? Who was feeding them after the first visit? And why were they not then fed before? Are we supposed to think Chavez performed a miracle? It sure reads like a parable from the Bible.

PS: I think, and certainly hope, that Chair Umpire had his tongue firmly in his cheek.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
What does that even mean? Who was feeding them after the first visit? And why were they not then fed before? Are we supposed to think Chavez performed a miracle? It sure reads like a parable from the Bible.

PS: I think, and certainly hope, that Chair Umpire had his tongue firmly in his cheek.
Chávez is, like we say in south america, a caudillo who now has a cult like figure. He'll go down in history almost at the same level as Ché Guevara or Allende. He's a myth.

·
RAVE ON
19,974 Posts
Chávez is, like we say in south america, a caudillo who now has a cult like figure. He'll go down in history almost at the same level as Ché Guevara or Allende. He's a myth.

Hee hee,I think you mean "legendary". A myth is something that never happened. If only........

41 - 57 of 57 Posts