Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
China have announced a ban on all sporting events for the rest of the year meaning the Chinese tournaments have been cancelled, and it seems the other Asian tournaments are off as well. Will be interesting to see if any other tournaments are scheduled in their place, or if the ATP will just leave the calendar blank.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If it were easy, logistically and economically to move the dates, the logic would go to European indoor tournaments, but we do not have rooms like that, often reserved for other shows.

Although ... in France, wearing a mask has become mandatory again in closed spaces since Monday .. I doubt that it will be reduced in autumn..
Basel is already canceled, too.

I don't know the situation in the USA, nor the sanitary and climatic conditions in California, for example, for Indian Wells, but it seems to me that the tournament has already been canceled.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Probably worried that the Djokovid Asian tardbase will become even more deluded if exposed to more wackoness.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Asian countries (where the tournaments would've happen) have controlled the virus much better than Europe and both north\south america

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Be creative for once, ATP.
Be creative with what ,Philo , in total uncertainty?. When things clearly escape ATP's hands . On what condition and assurance, would you have to put a lot of money and effort . The players, who of them and how many would show up.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
But..........but..........but..........I keep reading tennis could be easily resumed?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
China must cancel all sport events, of course, for creating this mess. Did not China screw us all royally, and screw the entire world, from the back side, from the front side, from the left side, from the right side, from the up side, from the down side, and from every side? It is a no brainer.

However, the other Asian countries like Japan, India, Taiwan, Thailand, etc., should go ahead with and organize their sports events.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
China must cancel all sport events, of course, for creating this mess. Did not China screw us all royally, and screw the entire world, from the back side, from the front side, from the left side, from the right side, from the up side, from the down side, and from every side? It is a no brainer.

However, the other Asian countries like Japan, India, Taiwan, Thailand, etc., should go ahead with and organize their sports events.
i agree. china fucked up big time in the beginning with how they handled this. people might not like hearing it but a lot of this is china's fault (their government anyway). in a fantasy the tour never goes back to china and the tour shifts focus to japan, korea..but i know that'll never happen.countries actually developing tour levelplayers with bright futures and who can attract big audiences that actually care about tennis. for the record i've always felt the chinese events were a waste of calendar space.

i think japan is being cautious and i dont blame them

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Be creative with what ,Philo , in total uncertainty?. When things clearly escape ATP's hands . On what condition and assurance, would you have to put a lot of money and effort . The players, who of them and how many would show up.
ATP keeps bungling & mismanaging things due to poor communication protocols added to perhaps not enough control/authority over the majors, which, if they had better corespondence w/ the majors & the players, could & should have conducted a GS by now. I’ve stated previously even a Grass major is possible in Aus. where facilities & weather will b conducive even from Oct.-Dec., & those who participate could remain there for the upcoming AO. But as I mentioned, w/in current weak ITF? rules & policies, perhaps WB has too much control over this alternative.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
We all know they did this so superspreader Djokovic can't come into their country. But maybe instead of sacrificing every tennis tournament we should settle for a "no Djokovic" policy around the world.

Seriously though, reasonable decision. And the fucking US still wants to hold the tournaments. Talk about dellusion.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Not surprising at all. Right now, I am very pessimistic about the resume of the season. We all know that maintaining the US Open would be crazy, and as in some European countries cases are rising again, I would not be surprised to be in the middle of a second wave in September in Europe when the clay court tournaments are scheduled...so in the end we might have nothing, or maybe just one or two events with half of the players present because the other part would not be allowed to travel or would have to stay in quarantine, and this would not really be fair. The global dimension of the tennis make things almost impossible.

·
Premium Member
8,855 Posts
ATP keeps bungling & mismanaging things due to poor communication protocols added to perhaps not enough control/authority over the majors, which, if they had better corespondence w/ the majors & the players, could & should have conducted a GS by now. I’ve stated previously even a Grass major is possible in Aus. where facilities & weather will b conducive even from Oct.-Dec., & those who participate could remain there for the upcoming AO. But as I mentioned, w/in current weak ITF? rules & policies, perhaps WB has too much control over this alternative.
This is delusional when the tour is struggling to hold even the already established events. Thinking you'd be able to put up another GS with this short of a time frame, no less with all kinds of uncertainties remaining (e.g. travel restrictions (in the future)). AO e.g. just announced that they'll restrict the crowd size 2021. How quickly do you think you can put it all together; e.g. secure/convince sponsors with all the uncertainties around. At what point would you commit to it? I don't think Wimbledon itself has much to do with this at this point. They had the insurance, which probably stipulates no Wimbledon shall take place. I.e. you couldn't simply not hold it during the initial date, take the money, and then hold the tournament at a later date. So this wouldn't be Wimbledon, but some other tournament. But why would you forcibly even try to hold a grass GS in these circumstances... As said, the tour is struggling to hold even the upcoming events.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
This is delusional when the tour is struggling to hold even the already established events. Thinking you'd be able to put up another GS with this short of a time frame, no less with all kinds of uncertainties remaining (e.g. travel restrictions (in the future)). AO e.g. just announced that they'll restrict the crowd size 2021. How quickly do you think you can put it all together; e.g. secure/convince sponsors with all the uncertainties around. At what point would you commit to it? I don't think Wimbledon itself has much to do with this at this point. They had the insurance, which probably stipulates no Wimbledon shall take place. I.e. you couldn't simply not hold it during the initial date, take the money, and then hold the tournament at a later date. So this wouldn't be Wimbledon, but some other tournament. But why would you forcibly even try to hold a grass GS in these circumstances... As said, the tour is struggling to hold even the upcoming events.
Again, i didn’t say holding a Grass tourn. to b a probability but a possibility if certain protocols could b taken & the logistics worked out. The climate & facilities r a given. If it’s held nearing the end of 2020, players could remain in Aus. since Asian swing canceled & play the Aussie tournaments culminating w/ the AO. W/ all that said, I have no idea how much of a ‘trademark’ WB has on a Grass major or if ITF/ATP have the power to supersede in this highly unusual season, just my take on preserving the entire season if possible.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts