Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching quite possibly the worst exhibition match since Ali fought Bruce Lee (Yes, this did happen:eek: ), I started thinking (I know, a dangerous proposition). Who, of the players of retired players today, would you like to see play Roger?

I mentioned this in another post. Johnny Mac is my choice. I honestly believe that the match would be a tight one. Roger could not just goof around; he would have to actually try. Mac on the net is like the Aurora Borealis: simply a beautiful sight to see. And with Mac's competitive streak:eek:
If Johnny Mac could put aside his love for Cyrano de Bragerac, you might ACTUALLY see a real match.

My second choice: the Chilean "saint": Mr. Rios.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
You are dreaming, Jmac is *49* years old, and I read a presser with him a couple of days ago from 1992 (I believe), and he pretty much said it then, the young guys (I'm not sure exactly who he lost to in that match) were just a level above him.

And that's the Sampras generation, not Roger's. Jmac would lose to Sampras 1 and 2 right now.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
Agassi is the only retired player that would copme close to making it competitive, I think. But I agree - no exhibitions are that exciting.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Jmac lost to Sampras in straights and Pete looked completely past it against Roger. Only "junior senior" Rios would have any hope and in all probability he would get massacred.

As I said, Fat D is the haters' only hope. There is no way the world #1 can lose to a retired player, unless he lets it happen.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said, Fat D is the haters' only hope. There is no way the world #1 can lose to a retired player, unless he lets it happen.
That being said, of ALL the potential players from the past, the player I would most like to see Roger play against: Boris Becker.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
THIS THREAD SUCKS BECAUSE:

[_] This topic did not need a separate thread
[_] Fake account
[_] It asks when and/or will Nadal become #1 in the world
[_] It is a Nadal v Federer thread where making sense is prohibited
[_] It assumes Federer will forever be on top of the tennis world
[_] It is a lame ass troll attempt
[_] It is a “Threaten to leave” thread
[_] It was started by Rafa=FedKilla
[_] It over hypes players that don’t deserve it
[_] It contains the Croatian contingent in a argument either among themselves or with others
[_] It was started by JustCause
[_] Original Posters grammar makes me suspect the post was written by 4 year old
[_] It claims Player X career is over after 1 bad loss
[_] It tries to determine the best player ever (on any surface) for the 200th time
[_] It asks when or if a young player will ever reach their potential after a totally expected loss
[X] It is a serious discussion of a exhibition match
[_] It proclaims a 16-18 year olds career is finished after a couple of first round losses
[_] It has the word Gilbert in the subject line
[_] It discusses doubles when its not a Davis Cup weekend
[_] It is a serious discussion of a clay clowns chances at a clay event or in a individual match against a competent clay player
[_] It is the annual thread where people bitch about clay courters not showing up and embarrassing themselves on grass
[_] LOL Jerry Seinfeld
[_] To much sex talk in this thread
[_] It speculates whether player X is on dope without any evidence
[_] It asks/assumes Safin is finished in tennis after a totally expected few first round loss to the local baker in the first round of small tournament X
[_] Use the damn search engine
[_] It accuses the loser of choking when he did nothing of the sort
[_] It talks about fake injuries and/or fake injury time outs
[_] Cramp is called a injury
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK
[_] It claims females can be competitive with males in any form of tennis
[X] Wrong forum, douche

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ljuba Truba! has a reputation beyond reputeLjuba Truba! has a reputation beyond reputeLjuba Truba! has a reputation beyond reputeLjuba Truba! has a reputation beyond reputeLjuba Truba! has a reputation beyond reputeLjuba Truba! has a reputation beyond reputeLjuba Truba! has a reputation beyond reputeLjuba Truba! has a reputation beyond reputeLjuba Truba! has a reputation beyond reputeLjuba Truba! has a reputation beyond reputeLjuba Truba! has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: As exhibitions go, who would prove the most dangerous foe?
THIS THREAD SUCKS BECAUSE:

[_] This topic did not need a separate thread
[_] Fake account
[_] It asks when and/or will Nadal become #1 in the world
[_] It is a Nadal v Federer thread where making sense is prohibited
[_] It assumes Federer will forever be on top of the tennis world
[_] It is a lame ass troll attempt
[_] It is a “Threaten to leave” thread
[_] It was started by Rafa=FedKilla
[_] It over hypes players that don’t deserve it
[_] It contains the Croatian contingent in a argument either among themselves or with others
[_] It was started by JustCause
[_] Original Posters grammar makes me suspect the post was written by 4 year old
[_] It claims Player X career is over after 1 bad loss
[_] It tries to determine the best player ever (on any surface) for the 200th time
[_] It asks when or if a young player will ever reach their potential after a totally expected loss
[X] It is a serious discussion of a exhibition match
[_] It proclaims a 16-18 year olds career is finished after a couple of first round losses
[_] It has the word Gilbert in the subject line
[_] It discusses doubles when its not a Davis Cup weekend
[_] It is a serious discussion of a clay clowns chances at a clay event or in a individual match against a competent clay player
[_] It is the annual thread where people bitch about clay courters not showing up and embarrassing themselves on grass
[_] LOL Jerry Seinfeld
[_] To much sex talk in this thread
[_] It speculates whether player X is on dope without any evidence
[_] It asks/assumes Safin is finished in tennis after a totally expected few first round loss to the local baker in the first round of small tournament X
[_] Use the damn search engine
[_] It accuses the loser of choking when he did nothing of the sort
[_] It talks about fake injuries and/or fake injury time outs
[_] Cramp is called a injury
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK
[_] It claims females can be competitive with males in any form of tennis
[X] Wrong forum, douche
If this is the wrong forum, Egghead, enlighten me.:rolleyes:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Taking exhos seriously, yes wrestling is real.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
I think these exos are serious business. Fed better watch out in #2, because Sampras' game is going to be much sharper!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think these exos are serious business. Fed better watch out in #2, because Sampras' game is going to be much sharper!
Actually, Fed, you are correct. Contrary to the opinions of the two moderators. There have been exhibitions in tennis history which were EXTREMELY serious affairs (and I ain't talking about Riggs/King either).

Ask John McEnroe. At one point in his career against Lendl, he had won something eight matches in a row over Lendl. They were playing against each other in an exhibition, and Lendl was tanking it. Mac started cursing at him...and challenged his "manhood". Lendl responded by playing as hard as he could...and winning the next seven or eight matches in a row against Mac. So, yes...depending on the circumstances....they can be career-changing or VERY serious affairs.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
There is no way Sampras can beat Roger at this point in time and therefore it's obvious that this is for entertainment rather than competition so I'm putting in a vote with GWH

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Actually, Fed, you are correct. Contrary to the opinions of the two moderators. There have been exhibitions in tennis history which were EXTREMELY serious affairs (and I ain't talking about Riggs/King either).

Ask John McEnroe. At one point in his career against Lendl, he had won something eight matches in a row over Lendl. They were playing against each other in an exhibition, and Lendl was tanking it. Mac started cursing at him...and challenged his "manhood". Lendl responded by playing as hard as he could...and winning the next seven or eight matches in a row against Mac. So, yes...depending on the circumstances....they can be career-changing or VERY serious affairs.
Has your hardon gone down yet? Lendl and McEnroe were at their best in the same era and didn't like each other.

It's still an exho and you are only taking exho results seriously, cause you need Djokovic to play again so you can write your Darth Cheater monologues.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
^^ He lost to Roddick in Kooyong, anything can happen :shrug:
Roger folded under the pressure on the sport's grandest stage.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's still an exho and you are only taking exho results seriously, cause you need Djokovic to play again so you can write your Darth Cheater monologues.
Whatever would I do without the opportunity to write my "Darth Cheater monologues"?:rolleyes:
If I actually viewed that as challenging, perhaps I should move on to something that requires greater skill like, oh I don't know, understanding the warped logic of certain moderators.:devil:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Roger folded under the pressure on the sport's grandest stage.
Kooyong is these days by far the snootiest tennis club in Australia, it is also certainly the grandest lawn tennis club in the southern hemisphere. :wavey:

But exhibitions matches suck the longest fattest, and I hate watching them. Give me Dlouhy Ginepri AO R1 over Fed Sampras Exo anyday.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Federer would lose a maximum of 4 games in a serious match with McEnroe and that's being generous.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts