Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... that i've got a new found respect for nadal. honestly, it didn't matter who won last night, i wouldn't be sad.

nadal won me over with this adaptability on grass and fierce "spartan tennis". take note, as early as soderling, many people (including myself) were writing him off... then came youzhny, then berdych, then djoko... but no, he just kept himself in there, refusing to be shook off... would have been a great storyline, but nadal didn't need to win wimbledon to prove to anyone that grass is nothing to him anymore. he can win wimbledon someday...

as the match progressed, i wasn't cheering only when roger won a point, i was cheering for the great plays done by both.

roger was really being outplayed as the point got longer, but now at least he "upped" it when it mattered, the big points, and the serve, etc. i honestly thought that he was done even if he won the 3rd because rafa double broke him on the fourth. glad to know that roger can really pull it off, proving everyone that he can win a gritty 5-setter.

in the end though, i'm glad roger won and i was there to witness him equal borg. :)

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Any a tennis fan should have respect for Rafa, whether a Fed fan (which I am) or not. :angel:

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
... that i've got a new found respect for nadal. honestly, it didn't matter who won last night, i wouldn't be sad.

nadal won me over with this adaptability on grass and fierce "spartan tennis". take note, as early as soderling, many people (including myself) were writing him off... then came youzhny, then berdych, then djoko... but no, he just kept himself in there, refusing to be shook off... would have been a great storyline, but nadal didn't need to win wimbledon to prove to anyone that grass is nothing to him anymore. he can win wimbledon someday...

as the match progressed, i wasn't cheering only when roger won a point, i was cheering for the great plays done by both.

roger was really being outplayed as the point got longer, but now at least he "upped" it when it mattered, the big points, and the serve, etc. i honestly thought that he was done even if he won the 3rd because rafa double broke him on the fifth. glad to know that roger can really pull it off, proving everyone that he can win a gritty 5-setter.

in the end though, i'm glad roger won and i was there to witness him equal borg. :)
Its nice to see people actually saying nice things about Rafa here for a change. Thanks.

·
Registered
516 Posts

roger was really being outplayed as the point got longer, but now at least he "upped" it when it mattered, the big points, and the serve, etc. i honestly thought that he was done even if he won the 3rd because rafa double broke him on the fifth. glad to know that roger can really pull it off, proving everyone that he can win a gritty 5-setter.

This makes you, megadeth, a true tennis fan.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I've always liked Federer's game more than Nadal's.. And people who are on this boards for mroe than 1 day would know that I haven't had much of a sympathy to Rafa.. Not anymore. I do think that he deserved this title no less ( which wuold be a politically correct form of saying "more" ) than Roger. He fought in this match like a samurai, giving it all to the very end like loss is not an option and he fell in this battle.. and haven't sought any excuses afterwards, while, really there are objectively plenty of those. What a warrior.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Federer can play plenty of Spartan tennis too. I have seen the light. Thanks RFK >>>>>

·
Registered
524 Posts
i got new found respect for Nadal too, after choking 4bps and from there getting stream rolled in the 5th, he was still picking his ass at 2-5 :hatoff:
You must be so proud of yourself....

You know the weird thing tho? All these Fed-Nadal clashes have made me respect Federer more and even sort of LIKE him! I mean, here is this guy that I never rooted for (thinking him a Sampras clone) and got upset when he was destroying Roddick and Hewitt over and over again. I loved Nadal from the first time I saw him because he challenged Federer in Miami and then beat him at the FO. Then I learned to appreciate Rafa's game, he is the first player since Goran that I always root for and feel genuinely sad when he loses.

But now, after all the FO clashes and now this epic, I appreciate how GOOD Roger really is and what a competitor and classy act he is. Moreover, I was absolutely GUTTED when Nadal lost, the worse since Wimbledon '98; then I remembered that this is how Roger must have felt when he lost the FO back to back years. Now I am rooting for Roger to win the career Slam, and hoping (unlikely as it is) that Rafa one day can join him.

Thanks for the memories Roger and Rafa, you have made these last couple of years memorable as a tennis fan! Hopefully this doesn't end soon!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This makes you, megadeth, a true tennis fan.
thanks! what's amazing is the tards seem to be gone (at the moment) for both sides. :) both are now respecting each other fans!

instead of bringing more flack to the mtf, last night's match brought both fans together :)

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
thanks! what's amazing is the tards seem to be gone (at the moment) for both sides. :) both are now respecting each other fans!

instead of bringing more flack to the mtf, last night's match brought both fans together :)
:yawn: i wonder how RFK feels about this, speaking of RFK where is he :devil: :lol:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Obviously Nadal has talent or he wouldn't have 3 FO titles.
Now he has to go win majors outside Paris, which he still hasn't done.
And it's never easy to win any major. Because he played well yesterday doesn't mean Roddick or Gasquet won't beat him in a semi next year.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Even though I can't stand his game, you got to respect Nadal as the player he is. He is unbelievable. Too bad most of his fans are clueless fangirls... :eek:

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Even though I can't stand his game, you got to respect Nadal as the player he is. He is unbelievable. Too bad most of his fans are clueless fangirls... :eek:
He is indeed unbelievable. As is Roger. I feel privileged to be able to witness what is surely going to be a history-making rivalry.

And who are you calling a fangirl? :( ;)

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts
:yawn: i wonder how RFK feels about this, speaking of RFK where is he :devil: :lol:
I am right here.

Nadal wasn't Spartan at all as he choked.

Pathetic 5th set and my respect for Nadal has gone down a bit. His mentality is not as strong as I originally thought.

Still he is the best of the ATP clowns.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Still he is the best of the ATP clowns.
11-3 says otherwise. You know the funny thing is, if Federer wins the USO, he will have won as many majors this year alone, as Nadal has in his entire career.
Now, that is some good trolling there. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts