Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
19,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a defeat to "hurt" it means a lot, maybe it's a tough word, maybe it's not the right word to express what it means now but I think it fits my mood.
At first the word that got through my mind was "disappointment". But that definetly wouldn't have been the right word because I'm not disappointed, I would've been disappointed if Nole would've lost another final against Nadal to be honest and I would've been disappointed if Djokovic would've lost the final playing pure shit and against a sub-par opponent who was slightly better and snatched out an ugly victory. But here it was not the case. Wawrinka was outstanding and I give credit where credit's due. Was this his peak? I don't know, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, what I know he was playing at a level that I never would've thought to see him play. And for so long. That was the key. For so long

Now, Djokovic had many defeats that had me, as a fan, a bit...sad, or baffled, but out of all, I think this one has the most impact. He needed (and still needs) Roland Garros to complete the Career Grand Slam and he was OOZING confidence. Winning absolutely EVERY important tournament since February, #1, the man to beat, on a winning streak since Dubai, managed to beat the unbeatable in Roland Garros, got through a tough test in the semifinals against an opponent who is probably the worst match up for him in the tour, all of this, only to lose in the final to one of the most talented players in the tour but also to one of the most inconsistent Grand Slam winners in the history

Out of all opportunities this was his biggest of his career and as far as I'm concerned, not even the net touching in 2013 didn't feel as baffling as this loss

Every year Djokovic goes on and on and on at RG and every year he gets closer and closer and closer, yet he's still short. I am of course confident he will get his RG title in his career but hopefully this won't deliver a huge blow to his moral for the rest of the season and especially for Wimbledon which is right around the corner

I just wanted to express my feelings as I was in too big ruines to do so post match so...yeah

Congrats to all the sincere Wawrinka fans out there, enjoy this moment as it lasts haters and chin up fellow Nole fans :wavey:

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Reminds of Roger's loss to Del Potro at the USO and Nadal's loss to Wawa at the AO. Sometimes you lose a final you are supposed to win.

·
Registered
672 Posts
As a fan of both Djokovic and Federer, Djokovic's loss today ranks up there for me with Federer's loss in the 2008 Wimbledon final. I had to turn the TV off with both matches because I was so mad as the matches went on.

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Stan is a heartbreaker. I was pretty sad when Nadal lost to Stan in the AO Final, but happy for Stan at the same time. After Nadal beat Roger, I pretty much credited Rafa with the slam and had 0 worries vs Stan in the Final. A truly shocking defeat, but these two finals show that nobody should ever count out Stan again.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Stop thinking about Nole and start thinking about he bigger picture, which is that tennis is well and truly alive, and always will be, long after Nole and long after glory hunters.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
:hug:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thanks for sharring your perspective as a fan, most people can relate as fans of almost any player. There's always one or two defeats that leave u crestfallen as a fan. It'll sting for a while, but its not about falling down its about gettin back up like a champion. Lets see him fight...

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
It sucks when your fave loses for sure. I was in ruins after Wimbledon 2012 and to a lesser extent at this years AO but hey ho life goes on. He will win plenty of other tournaments.

Imagine if you were LouieG? He must be in ruins every week.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
All the hugs. I have been in that position as a fan before, and I know how much it hurts.

If it helps, I do think this loss will be less bruising to Novak's morale than it could've been, because like he said himself, Stan was simply playing better. It's not like Novak played badly and farted away his chance at the Grand Slam - he did everything he could, beating Nadal and then fighting through Murray, and just ran into somebody playing out-of-his-mind tennis. That sucks big-time, obviously, really really bad, and it's unlucky as heck when he was dominating the year until now, but it doesn't necessarily reflect on Novak's level of play, if you get what I'm saying?

Novak could easily take a little time to breathe and then come back and rule the grass season, including winning Wimbledon. He doesn't really have to worry about Stan in the grass season (it's Stan's least effective surface), and he could easily get back to dominating the Tour right away again.

I know that a Wimbledon title wouldn't make up for this Roland Garros loss, but I do truly believe that he'll get his day holding that trophy. He's not my favorite player, but I will be truly happy for all my Nole-fan friends when that happens. :) I know how tough this Slam has been for you guys.

Keep your chin up. :smooch: Your player still rocks.

Reactions: Cloren and JoWilly

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yes, thank you for sharing this. It's fully understandable. But you'll get over it (as will Nole, I'm sure).

:hatoff:

·
Registered
19,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Djokovic has two slams, WTF and 5 masters for the last 12 months.
Yeah and as a fan of ANY player, these stats would be HUGE but in this case the RG title is something more special and to be honest I would've wanted Djokovic to be slamless for one year and win nothing big, only to win Roland Garros. I think only ante-2009 Federer fans can relate to me and Djokovic fans in general at this points

3,728 Posts
When roger lost the ao in 2009 final

I was absolutely heart broken

It's tough, but you know they'll come back

His 2009 career slam felt all the better for it

Nole will have his time to shine

He is a winner

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Yeah, it was a cruel irony that Djokovic won every clay match he played except for the most important one. But it's just a game. Life will go on.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
It's just a game bro, life will go on. I'm sure Nole will understand this and move on to better things.

And anyway, I'm sure he is going to win it in the next years. If Stan can do it at 30, Nole can too.

:hug: (no ****)

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
It does hurt a lot. I'm a Stan fan too, but I really wanted Nole to take this one with Stronga out of the picture. But I had a sad feeling that he wouldn't be able to cope with the pressure and I was right.

It's funny isn't it, Stan has spoiled the party twice. Everyone was handing the title to Nadal at the AO and Stan beat him in four sets playing confident, big hitting tennis. Everyone had crowned Novak before RG even started but stan came out and played a great match. Dissapointed with Novak's performance though but I can understand the pressure he must have been feeling.

He looked so sad at the end, I really hope that unlike in 2013, this spurs him on to greater things this year rather than meekly fading. He has still had an amazing year whatever happens, but he just puts too much pressure on himself to win this.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts