Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://go.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=tennisNews&storyID=9691118&section=news&src=rss/uk/tennisNews

Wilander criticises slowing Wimbledon courts

NEW DELHI, Sept 19 (Reuters) - Wimbledon's slowing grass courts are hastening the end of serve-volley in tennis, former world number one Mats Wilander said on Monday.

"I'm personally very disappointed (at) the way they are making Wimbledon these days," Wilander told reporters.

"We're slowly losing the style of playing tennis which is the serve and volley."

Wilander, Sweden's non-playing captain for this weekend's Davis Cup World Group play-off tie in New Delhi, said ideally players should mix serve and volley with a solid baseline game.

"But we are slowly losing that because the grass courts in Wimbledon are getting slower and slower," said the 41-year-old, winner of seven grand slam titles in the 1980s.

Wimbledon is the only grand slam tournament to be played on grass. The French Open is played on clay and the Australian and U.S. Opens on hard courts.

Wilander said he believed such courts did not help Britain realise their dream of producing a first homegrown men's champion since Fred Perry won Wimbledon and the U.S Open in 1936, despite having two serve-volleyers in their ranks.

"I'm not sure what they are thinking in England because you have (British) players like Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski," he said.

"England might be the only country in the world who don't actually try and (prepare courts to) suit them. It seems they are doing everything they can for them not to win."

·
Registered
55,915 Posts
Re: Article : Wilander criticises slowing Wimbledon courts

:yeah: Not that it's a completely new opinion, but it's great that Wilander is willing to speak out against it.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I mean as a grassphobe myself, sure Wimbledon personally has become more watchable, but the key is to get the balance right, when it was faster than a bowling green it wasn't tennis, but it wouldn't be a bad idea if they were quickened up and the clay slowed down.

·
Registered
55,915 Posts

GeorgeWHitler said:
I mean as a grassphobe myself, sure Wimbledon personally has become more watchable, but the key is to get the balance right, when it was faster than a bowling green it wasn't tennis, but it wouldn't be a bad idea if they were quickened up and the clay slowed down.
As a member of the All-Surface Snobs Club, I agree with this. ;)

·
F***ing have it
17,596 Posts
all-surface snob :yeah:

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

silverwhite said:
:yeah: Not that it's a completely new opinion, but it's great that Wilander is willing to speak out against it.
Wilander has never been short of an opinion, but he can see the benefits of it for sure, even though it wasn't his favourite surface, but these things go in cycles.

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
Yeah, I seen this. I love grass court tennis, it's definitely my favourite, as I think it's the only surface where contrasting styles can succeed (serve and volley, big serve, baseliner, grinder), and I think the courts are fine as they are. I think they just changed the kind of grass used and they thought it was slower. But of course, Gonzo made the last eight so of course it had to be slower.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
joeyd2005 said:
Yeah, I seen this. I love grass court tennis, it's definitely my favourite, as I think it's the only surface where contrasting styles can succeed (serve and volley, big serve, baseliner, grinder), and I think the courts are fine as they are.
Doing stand up comedy again are we?

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
Doing stand up comedy again are we?

Huh?

Sampras (serve and volley)
Ivanisevic (big serve)
Hewitt (grinder)
Federer (all-round)

So of course various types can succeed on grass.

Rather than muck about with the courts though, seriously Wimbledon needs to modernise, scrap the all white rule and get some commercial sponsors.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
I think it's a difficult task for Wimbledon to get the surface right. If it is as fast as it once was, it's a big serve, perhaps a volley, and the point is done. There's plenty of complaint about that sort of tennis too.

The pendulum has probably swung to far in the other direction now though.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well its still mostly the big guns who make it to the finals such as Roddick. Federer of course has an all-round game.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
joeyd2005 said:
Huh?

Ivanisevic (big serve)
Hewitt (grinder)
Federer (all-round)

Rather than muck about with the courts though, seriously Wimbledon needs to modernise, scrap the all white rule and get some commercial sponsors.
You're cracking jokes that grass is the best surface where everyone has an equal chance. I could do exactly the same for list clay, but both these surfaces favour heavily different types of players, so don't give me this nonsense that grass that it's the only surface where that can happen.

The courts are a bit slow, I've already given my view on this subject.

Just cause I have no sense of humour.

Noah (serve/volley)
Verkerk (big serve)
Muster (grinder)
Federer ( all round)

Those players can play well on clay doesn't mean it's the fairest surface.

·
F***ing have it
17,596 Posts
star said:
Federer also has a wicked serve that is used to advantage on grass.
:yeah: JesusFed has a big serve, too. He gets tons of free points. He's not Roddick but definitely he serves big

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
Yes but these days serve and volley has no hope on clay, although Noah did it.

It's my opinion that grass has a fairer chance for baseliners than clay is for S and V.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
joeyd2005 said:
Huh?

Ivanisevic (big serve)
Hewitt (grinder)
Federer (all-round)

Sampras (serve and volley) :confused: , he falls into same category as Goran
it was more like Serve, point over or serve and smash.

hasnt been a proper serve and volley winner since Stefan Edberg in 1990.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tim Henman said that Wimbledon nowadays is even slower than some of the clay courts and is much slower than the Aussie Open...it's not a real grass court anymore in terms of bounce and speed...it's a shame, the LTA have destroyed the very thing they hold most dear - the art of grass court tennis.

Wimbledon 2001 was the last year of real grass court tennis. From then onwards you had baseliners - Hewitt and Federer dominating. And before anyone disagrees, Federer is a baseliner more than anything...a player who only serves and volleyers less than 10% of the times is not a real all court player IMO. Even Andy Roddick plays the net game much more than Federer these days...yet people say Federer is the finest all round player in history! how ironic

·
Registered
69 Posts
In_Disguise said:
Tim Henman said that Wimbledon nowadays is even slower than some of the clay courts and is much slower than the Aussie Open...it's not a real grass court anymore in terms of bounce and speed...it's a shame, the LTA have destroyed the very thing they hold most dear - the art of grass court tennis.

Wimbledon 2001 was the last year of real grass court tennis. From then onwards you had baseliners - Hewitt and Federer dominating. And before anyone disagrees, Federer is a baseliner more than anything...a player who only serves and volleyers less than 10% of the times is not a real all court player IMO. Even Andy Roddick plays the net game much more than Federer these days...yet people say Federer is the finest all round player in history! how ironic
If Wim is so slow, how come Fed, Rod, Philippoussis, Ancic, Hewitt, Lopez, Popp have been the ones in the later rounds in the last 3 years?

I think you have a short memory - Federer S/Ved about 60% of time when winning W in 2003, he also S/Ved on almost all first & second serves against Sampras in 2001. He chose that the baseline approach is better once he lost to Nalbandian in USO 2003. And the results have proved him right - he has won 6/10 slams & lost only 9 matches in 2 years.

How about Agassi winning in '92 beating the likes of Becker, McEnroe, and Goran along the way? Was he a serve-volleyer too?

·
Registered
242 Posts
intikab said:
If Wim is so slow, how come Fed, Rod, Philippoussis, Ancic, Hewitt, Lopez, Popp have been the ones in the later rounds in the last 3 years?

I think you have a short memory - Federer S/Ved about 60% of time when winning W in 2003, he also S/Ved on almost all first & second serves against Sampras in 2001. He chose that the baseline approach is better once he lost to Nalbandian in USO 2003. And the results have proved him right - he has won 6/10 slams & lost only 9 matches in 2 years.

How about Agassi winning in '92 beating the likes of Becker, McEnroe, and Goran along the way? Was he a serve-volleyer too?
Federer certainly doesn't serve and volley anymore these days...Only the likes of Ancic, Dent, Rusedski etc remain as that rare breed. You can't argue against Federer's success but he essentially play the same game as Agassi nowdays. How can you call him a great all court player? McEnroe, Becker, Edberg, Sampras are all better rounded IMO

1 - 20 of 41 Posts