1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Report: Brazil's Kuerten to play his last season in 2008
The Associated Press
January 6, 2008

SAO PAULO, Brazil: Three-time French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten will play his farewell season in 2008, the Estado de S. Paulo newspaper reported Sunday.

The 31-year-old Brazilian plans to play only in a few tournaments before retiring, but said he wants Roland Garros to be among them.

"I want to play in tournaments that are special for me," Kuerten said Friday. "I've been practicing and there are only a few details to finalize my schedule."

He also was expected to play in the Brasil Open and the Master Series in Miami, the Estado said.

Last year, Kuerten said for the first time that he may retire from professional tennis if he fails to stay competitive in 2008.

Ranked 680th by the ATP tour, Kuerten had a 2-7 singles record last season, his first playing regularly on tour since hip surgery in September 2004.

The Brazilian, ranked No. 1 in 2000, won the last of his 20 titles in February 2004. He won the French Open in 1997, 2000 and 2001.

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/01/06/sports/LA-SPT-TEN-Kuerten.php

·
Registered
14,410 Posts
in my opinion he played his last season long time ago:sad:

but still I hope that 2008 will work for him, though I cannot really imagine

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
in my opinion he played his last season long time ago:sad:

but still I hope that 2008 will work for him, though I cannot really imagine
Same here :sad:

·
why did I pay for premium
5,837 Posts
ATTENTION
According to this website, Guga's press team has DENIED that he will end his career after a series of tournaments this year.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
yes guga's last good season was 2002 I think. I hope he can advance a few roudns in the tourneys he enter's, tho (but I doubt it).

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
2004 season was not bad, defeated Federer in straights in RG, reached QF there and won Costa do Sauipe

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
:bigcry:

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Their goes another one of my favourite players, another player from the old New Balls campaign. Tennis has seen better days.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It's for the best...I've been hoping he would retire so that he doesn't taint his status as one of the greats of our game

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Good luck to him! :)

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
It's for the best...I've been hoping he would retire so that he doesn't taint his status as one of the greats of our game
:confused: This line of reasoning I've never understood. So if you play badly after reaching heights like Kuerten or Wilander, it takes away or negates what you've achieved? Just curious.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts