Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article from TSN says John Isner was upset he did not get to play on center court because he is the top American. USA tennis fans is Isner popular in your country? Is Isner a household name in America? Isner hasn't done anything big in tennis to warrant automatically getting on a show court. http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=458376

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I was wondering why he wasn't on center either :shrug: Surely he deserved it more than Rogers-Erakovic :haha:

He's not a household name, but then again the last household tennis name here was Roddick, and even then a lot of people don't know him. I think MTFers underestimate how tennis is looked upon here ;)

I agree Isner should've been put on center, but it's no excuse for losing the match.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But if Isner is not popular in his own nation why would he be on the main show court? USA men's tennis is in a tough position right now that Andy is retired. Isner has only got to one slam quarterfinal in his career. Isner is good BUT he isn't a star.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Isner is a baby who wants to be pampered. I guess the pamper should be put on his mouth. I'm a fellow UGA alum but I can't be proud of Isner. Pernfors was a much better representative of our college.

·
Registered
756 Posts
But if Isner is not popular in his own nation why would he be on the main show court? USA men's tennis is in a tough position right now that Andy is retired. Isner has only got to one slam quarterfinal in his career. Isner is good BUT he isn't a star.
So what? Do you think everyone there knows who the top 200 player Shelby Rogers is? Most of them probably don't, yet she played her match in CC because she is american. Next week in Canada we'll have the likes of Peliwo and Wozniak playing in bigger courts than those they are used to because that's the way it is: local players always get the bigger courts because the crowd will support them, no matter if it's the first time they've ever heard their names.

It would've been unfair for one of the top seeds, who happen to be top ten, to play outside of CC but it wouldn't have been the first time that happens, I think Isner should have played there instead of Raonic/Sock. However, the article you linked says this:

Isner was given the option of playing there in the day's last match -- probably starting at about 10 p.m. -- or instead shifting to the smaller court, but with an earlier start time.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
I was wondering why he wasn't on center either :shrug: Surely he deserved it more than Rogers-Erakovic :haha:

I agree Isner should've been put on center, but it's no excuse for losing the match.
The first time slot was for the WTA tournament and they choose Rogers who was coming in DC after a final and had just beaten Cornet.... the alternative would have been Townsend who's slightly lower ranked.
Haven't you read the article at all? Isner was given the option to play the last match but he choose to play earlier and that spot was filled with the Bryans. The Nishikori-Raonic-Berdych matches schedule was decided by international TV partners

To answer op's question, yes, Isner is a houseold name in my family and my couch is usually packed when he's on tv.

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
Bit of sour grapes from John and this isn't the first time.

Jesus this country is dying for a star

·
Registered
821 Posts
This article from TSN says John Isner was upset he did not get to play on center court because he is the top American. USA tennis fans is Isner popular in your country? Is Isner a household name in America? Isner hasn't done anything big in tennis to warrant automatically getting on a show court. http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=458376
Yes, he is a big player for the US at this moment. Even though he didn't win anything win...he is the one who is making US presence felt in tennis.

He deserves the center court for sure.

He is a consistent top 20 player.
He doesnt have to be household name to get the center court. As a top US tennis player he should play in the center court.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
So what? Do you think everyone there knows who the top 200 player Shelby Rogers is? Most of them probably don't, yet she played her match in CC because she is american. Next week in Canada we'll have the likes of Peliwo and Wozniak playing in bigger courts than those they are used to because that's the way it is: local players always get the bigger courts because the crowd will support them, no matter if it's the first time they've ever heard their names.

It would've been unfair for one of the top seeds, who happen to be top ten, to play outside of CC but it wouldn't have been the first time that happens, I think Isner should have played there instead of Raonic/Sock. However, the article you linked says this:
Why in the blue hell should Isner of played on CC over a match between world number seven and recent slam sfist in singles vs an american who recently sweeped up a doubles slam?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Like I said: because he is local, the american no. 1 and he will draw people to watch the match. Sure, top ten Raonic facing another american in Sock ultimately was the reason why the organizer put that match in CC, although I'm not so sure that the Wimbly title has made as big as an impact in Sock's profile. And like I also said is fair for Raonic to play his match in CC, he earned that place, but my point was that in most countries they would choose the hometown player over the higher ranked one

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Surely this had nothing to do with Isner, but with ATP vs WTA on court priority. Isner is a popular player in the US.

Organizing an ATP and WTA tournament together introduces more contraints for the tournament director. He can't just put the most popular players on the centre court, but needs to give ATP and WTA equal rights.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I understand where he is coming from, but at the same time he has to understand that his brand of tennis bores a lot of people to death.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
The first time slot was for the WTA tournament and they choose Rogers who was coming in DC after a final and had just beaten Cornet.... the alternative would have been Townsend who's slightly lower ranked.
Haven't you read the article at all? Isner was given the option to play the last match but he choose to play earlier and that spot was filled with the Bryans. The Nishikori-Raonic-Berdych matches schedule was decided by international TV partners

To answer op's question, yes, Isner is a houseold name in my family and my couch is usually packed when he's on tv.
Regardless if they 'had' to fill it with a WTA match, it doesn't change the fact that they no one cared about that match.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Isner seems to have a sense of entitlement like his match against Monfils when the NYC crowd cheered for the Frenchman over him. Isner does not seem to understand he isn't a star never had a big result in tennis. Isner never been past a slam quarterfinal.Well I am glad the TSN article pointed out tennis is an international sport where it does matter about ranking and nationality ect. Isner just isn't popular yet he seems shocked he is not a star.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Regardless if they 'had' to fill it with a WTA match, it doesn't change the fact that they no one cared about that match.
A WTA mugfest is 1000x more entertaining than Isner botting against some scrub. The self entitlement and arrogance of that clown is simply out of the stratosphere. He should win a decent title before crying, if it were up to me, he would be playing on the outside courts every time.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts