Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marcos Daniel gave an interview to a Brazilian tennis website, talking about his family, the goo year-end he had in the challenger circuit and much more. For those ho don't know him, he reached #80 in 2005 with 27 years old. In the last 2 months of this year, he won 2 challengers and was runner-up in other 2, coming back close to the top 100 (#118). Here's the translation (I hope with few mistakes)

http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/profissional/entrevista/entrevista_marcos_ daniel2.htm

Daniel, this was an year with much new things for you. More than the great end of season you had and you being the best ranked Brazilian player again, you were gifted with a son. Can you say your life changed?
No doubts. My life is completely different. It's a change that i'm still not used with, it's a new thing, the shorty only has 7 months. And in that months i only spent a few days with him. In tennis, it's different too. I have an extra motivation now, of course. Now, with the shorty, i have a bigger responsibility. I had moments this year that i was losing the match, very down in the match, and i took a picture of him and said "No, I won't lose this match". There were matches that I won for him, took power from him"

The curious thing is that, unlike other players that had children and fall in production, you improved a lot after Davi was born...
The thing is that i'm a guy who always worked a lot. Together with Larri (Passos, Kuerten's coach) and all the people of his academy, everyone knows that if i did anything wrong, i did by doing more, not less. Today, already mature, with all the experience i got last year, the thing changed. Last year i worked very much with Larri, i just have to thank him. He changed a lot in my game. Today there are some things that happen and we know they were possible.

Can you say that your winning runs in the end of the year are a direct reulst of your work with Larri?
I have no doubt. Every player has his level of confidence with himself. I always thought and i keep thinking that i can do much more than i play. Larri trusted me, there were days that i spent 7-8 hours without stop in the court playing with him. It's different than being with any other guy in the court. And the results didn't come. I knew i was doing everything right, but it wasn't working. Larri told me to be calm, that this was a natural issue and that in any moment all that i practiced would give result. It was a very big refinement. Nowadays i play a much better tennis than before, it's easier. I feel i evolved, i do less effort to play. If i play in a way and it doesn't work, i try the serve-and-volley. If i can't do a winner, i bounce it, i use slice. I can control my game better.

How do you see the rest of the season?
My pre-season was very short, more focused in the body building, even this way, i started playing well and reached a final (La Serena Challenger, lost to Brzezicki). But then my son was born and stayed 2 months without playing. I came back well and passed trough the qualies in Roland Garros. It was there when i got injured and my pubalgy started.

How is the injury now?
We did a resonance now and it will be studied. There's something there bothering me. I've already had this when i was younger. But i can't complain of that. Even with pains I always entered the court to win. I took anti-inflammatories and played with pain. I have to survive.

Whereas you jumped close to the top 100, most of the experienced Brazilian players fall a lot in profit. How do you see that?
Almost everyone that i know have been working a lot. There are just a few that still are lazy. But it's a differential that i see from the Argies. The players here have to be more determined! The youngsters have to dedicate a lot, to want more. No one here will be like Guga, but we have to give the maximum. If you want this to your life, you have to go for it. You have to be serious, the circuit is too competitive and professional. You can't do 2 months of pre-season and than be lazy in the rest of the season, waiting the luck to knock the door. It's all about work. It's a fact that our tennis isn't very well, but the experienced guys like Flavio (Saretta), Ricardinho (Mello) must want to play well again.

But it's always lacking determination to the Brazilian tennis?
Everyone wonders why Argentina has so many players. It's simple. Firstly, they have that determination that everyone knows. And in Buenos Aires, all the players play there. When you go where they stay, there are a million courts, none of them empty. Players like Cañas, Nalbandian, Gaduio practice there. The children keep looking them practicing, and them they go to the court to imitate them. This has to exhist in Brazil. A practicing center here would help the pros, but still wouldn't call the children to the game. Our basis work is very weak.

Do you think this transition between junior and professional changed from when you were 18?
When i was 18, my ranking was 260. Today every guy with this ranking everyone open the eyes and sponsors show up. Brazil is thirsty for someone who plays tennis well. But it's hard, there's a series of factors that has to work. But we can have a lot of top 100 players, Brazil has potential to it. I remember me and Larri talking... you take a guy with 13 years old and have to work his head. When 18 years old, he will have a tennis player mind. In Brazil you start having a professional mind when 18, and will be ready only when 24.

Is it true that you almost ended the season in September?
Yes. After 2 months without playing, i went to Europe to play Interclubs. I wasn't okay, but it was a money that i needed. And not to be stagnant i played some tournaments, but always losing in the first round, without rhythm. The when i came back to Brazil i decided to treat myself, i stayed 3 weeks without doing almost anything. They called me on fridat to Davis Cup. It was there that i saw i was better, not perfect, but better. I decided to go to Quito in the next week, where i lost in the second round to Santiago Giraldo, in 3 sets. In the other week and didn't have a good result. In Bogota i started well and felt i was fine. I won the title and since then i could keep the level.

What about he next Davis Cup tie? What are your perspectives? Will you finally play?
Man, what can i say to you? It will depend of who Brazil will play, i believe, the surface... if i want to? Of course i do. I always wanted to play and always gave my maximum. I was happy they called me against Austria, because playing or not, i was there with the team. I'm glad they want me practicing in the team. The coach staff gives me tranquility. I didn't play against Austria because i wasn't prepared. Davis is another week in the professional circuit. I want to play well in the circuit, and the Davis is a consequence.

Have you ever felt being rejected in the Davis Cup?
Well, this is hard to say. This is over, there's no reason to keep talking about that. But i already felt, how can i say? I already felt i was in conditions. I already felt i was on better conditions than the others who played. And i think it's not only in my head, everyone that was together knew it. It's an option of the coach. But i don't want to add fuel to the flames. But it happened, indeed.

You are already 29. Have you ever thought in what will you do after tennis?
Many times. It has to do with my family. We've always been a medium class family, my father always worked a lot. Because of him nothing missed to us, and since i was i child we were learned to work hard, be right in the life, to walk correctly. So i've always been this way, always programming things. But what i'll exactly do in the future... I mean, i think i can help the young fellows in the future. I don't know if i'll keep working with tennis, but this is something i'd like to. I'd like to give that i didn't have, the possibility of skiping stages. But i'm thinking in the present, in my game, i don't think in quiting. There's so much i still want to win, while i still have this feeling i will keep playing.

And coach, have you ever thought in becoming one?
If you ask me today, if i would travel as a coach, i'd say no. But we never know what will happen. I prefer not to stay far of my family when i retire. But with me the practicing wouldn't be easy, the guys would have to work a lot (laughs). These guys have to sweat. If you get the guy used to give everything in the practicing, he becomes a Spanish. Becoming a Spanish, you become competitive. Being competitive, then you're a champion.

Do you still have a dream in tennis that you want to reach?
In my head i think in improving. I want to reach a better ranking then when i reached the top 100, i think i can go far, far way. I want to squeeze the orange until i can no more. If i say to someone in the future, i want to say "man, what i could do i did, i couldn't do anything else". It's a personal fight with myself, to reach my higher ranking.

In your new stage, technically and even familiar in which you feel good, can we expect a great year of 2008 for you?
This year the few times i played, i played well. I knew i was evolving. But in the next year i'll try to fix some things, family mainly. I even had a plan of moving to Europe with them. I play almost all my calendar in Europe. Ih i stayed outside the top 200, i would probably have opted by playing Interclubs in Europe. But if everything continue this way, i expect a great 2008 season, i have good perspectives.

Tell me something that you love in tennis
Now you got me... I have to go back to when i was a child to answer that... (pause)... Everything i did when i was a child, i had to be the best. And in tennis, when i started still as a child, i didn't even know what i was doing and used to wake up 7 AM to play in the court. It was a love to that thing, with 8 years old. It can't be explained. When i saw i was already the best 14-year old player of the country, a revelation, winning tournaments. Then i became a professional, got an injury and all became difficult. I always liked tennis a lot when i was a child. I used to see Becker playing, i used to dream about playing a Grand Slam... nowadays tennis is the third most important thing in my life, first is Gisele (wife) and my son (Davi). Why am I still playing? If I said you it's because of the circuit, the travels, i would be lying. I don't like the circuit anymore, i want to be with my family. Nowadays, tennis is my job. I can't enter in the court like Nadal anymore, every day slaving. But when i want it, i become a dangerous guy. But this is it, now tennis is my job.

·
Registered
384 Posts
He seems to be an honest person.
Good luck next year!

·
Yes, I am
21,208 Posts
nice read...thanks a lot :yeah:
and Vamos Marcos this year!!! :rocker:

·
MONSOON season.
82,208 Posts
Thanks for the article :D

Markito :rocker:

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
Thanks for posting the interview VaiBrazil. Hope Marcos will do very well next season.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Brazil, not a place i'd like to see after the movie i seen tonight :scared:

well played Marcos

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rio de Janeiro...

i understand your fear, but it's not like the whole country is this way... unfortunatelly some parts of some cities are, it's really sad :sad:

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
Thanks for the article :) I took notice of this guy when one recent year he ended up playing Massu first round of every tournament during the SA swing. I think Shotgun and I were laughing about it and how strange it was.

Reactions: DhammaTiger

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Thanks for the article :) I took notice of this guy when one recent year he ended up playing Massu first round of every tournament during the SA swing. I think Shotgun and I were laughing about it and how strange it was.
:) I remember that.

9/2006 ATP Acapulco (MEX) Clay Marcos Daniel Nicolas Massu 6-4 6-4 Second
Clay Marcos Daniel Kevin Kim 7-5 6-3 First
8/2006 ATP Costa do Sauipe (BRA) Clay Nicolas Massu Marcos Daniel 7-6(3) 6-1 First
7/2006 ATP Buenos Aires (ARG) Clay Nicolas Massu Marcos Daniel 6-3 5-7 6-1 First
5/2006 ATP Vina del Mar (CHI) Clay Nicolas Massu Marcos Daniel 6-3 6-3 First

He played him four times in five weeks, and won the fourth time.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts

8/2006 ATP Costa do Sauipe (BRA) Clay Nicolas Massu Marcos Daniel 7-6(3) 6-1 First
7/2006 ATP Buenos Aires (ARG) Clay Nicolas Massu Marcos Daniel 6-3 5-7 6-1 First

Yep that's it :lol: Thanks for the info :yeah:

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

How could i forget, i wanted to kill Massu in those weeks :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts
Thanks, nice piece.

Reactions: Fee and Björki

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks, really nice interview. I remember that crazy match against Hewitt in Poertschach, probably the only time I saw him live on TV. Good luck to him for the next season. And btw City of God is a great movie. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts