Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 806 Posts

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(apologies if there's already a thread on the same topic)

As the title says, this is a place to talk about arts (visual arts of any kind, painting, sculpture, architecture...) what artists or styles you like/dislike. I'd love it if you could include pics, and talk about what first drew you to them :)

I'll start :
I'm an italian renaissance fanatic, some of my favourite works of art include my avie, as well as Da Vinci's St john the Baptist :

Titien's man with a glove

some other random paintings that I love :
Monet's Impression, sunrise

Hopper's morning sun

And to finish, a little quote by my favourite artist, Michelangelo : "A beautiful thing never gives so much pain as does failing to hear and see it."

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
:hearts: This is a thread where I prefer to just lurk :hearts:
BTW there is a thread started by Tytta on the pretty things in life. This would apply :)

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
Hello Claire:hug: I'm here to lend my support, but like Sue...I'd rather lurk in this thread than post.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol: Thank you all for your contribution, and especially you Linda :

true art indeed :worship:

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
:spit: Ok this is sort of a joke but this one peice of art that hangs in my house is a beauty :inlove:

Attachments

Reactions: acionescu

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
Claire, I like your thread:yeah: But I'm afraid I don't have a great understanding of it. But purely based on feeling, I like Monet a lot. My favorite is the Rouen Cathedral.

Attachments

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
OK for real now. My favorite Andrew Wyeth painting:

Attachments

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
:lol: Thank you all for your contribution, and especially you Linda :

true art indeed :worship:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Truly a classic:lol:

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:spit: Ok this is sort of a joke but this one peice of art that hangs in my house is a beauty :inlove:
:worship: a new artist is born :p
Claire, I like your thread:yeah: But I'm afraid I don't have a great understanding of it. But purely based on feeling, I like Monet a lot. My favorite is the Rouen Cathedral.
me neither, I just like to look at them :p
There's nothing more difficult that to explain exactly why you like a painting (and especially in a foreign language :eek:). I know I love Monet too, though, his use of colour was trully astonishing, so many of his paintings were painted during sunrise because he felt that's when the light was most beautiful and colourful. The most perfect exemple is his magpie , if you look carefully you realize that nothing is just black (it's different shades of blue or brown) even the snow isn't white (it's rose or blue).

Attachments

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
:worship: a new artist is born :p

me neither, I just like to look at them :p
There's nothing more difficult that to explain exactly why you like a painting (and especially in a foreign language :eek:). I know I love Monet too, though, his use of colour was trully astonishing, so many of his paintings were painted during sunrise because he felt that's when the light was most beautiful and colourful. The most perfect exemple is his magpie , if you look carefully you realize that nothing is just black (it's different shades of blue or brown) even the snow isn't white (it's rose or blue).
The artist was a caricaturist but he could not make a character out of my beautiful son Sam :hearts: It was the subject I was referring too :lol:
And so that segueways into I choose pictures because they tell a story and speak to me. I may or may not know the story behind the painting but that story makes me appreciate the painting even more :worship:

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
awesome Monet's- he is my favorite impressionist :worship: I love all his paintings.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
To Claire's taste for fine art. :hatoff:

Michelangelo's "Pieta" (your avatar) is my favourite marble sculpture. Its power influenced Michelangelo's contemporaries and followers in a profound way. :)

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
El Greco (Dominicos Theotokopoulos) 1541-1614

The Burial of the Count of Orgaz

Christ driving the Traders from the Temple

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Fifth seal of the apocalypse

I'm far from an expert, but I love art and El Greco's works strike me for the magnificent vivid colors (hard to appreciate in these photos though) and the haunting depiction of human and divine figures

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK for real now. My favorite Andrew Wyeth painting:
Thanks for posting that Sue :yeah:
American realism produced real masterpieces ;)
:sad:

I feel like I'm being patronised here.
Never :hug:
To Claire's taste for fine art. :hatoff:

Michelangelo's "Pieta" (your avatar) is my favourite marble sculpture. Its power influenced Michelangelo's contemporaries and followers in a profound way. :)
:hatoff: to you
Michelangelo is the reason I really started to love art. I went on a trip to Italy with a friend of mine when I was about 16 or 17 :scratch: we spent 3 days in particular in Florence where I first saw the David , among others, and then we went to Rome and I discovered the Pieta :hearts: I find it incredibly amusing that before painting the Sistine Chapel Michelangelo thought of himself merely as a sculptor

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts
Great thread, Claire. :hatoff:

Me + Neo-Expressionism= :inlove:

There a zillion I could post, so I'll pace myself here. :lol:

Abendland (Twilight of the West) by Anselm Kiefer in 1989

Boca Museum by Sandro Chia in 1997

One more (for now) :p :

Faceless by Marlene Dumas in 1993

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
El Greco (Dominicos Theotokopoulos) 1541-1614
I'm far from an expert, but I love art and El Greco's works strike me for the magnificent vivid colors (hard to appreciate in these photos though) and the haunting depiction of human and divine figures
Thanks a lot Metis, I loved the second one and the colour of the third remind me of some of Veronese's paintings
Great thread, Claire. :hatoff:

Me + Neo-Expressionism= :inlove:
:lol: it's funny I went to a Kiefer expo at the Louvres a few weeks ago, I didn't know him that well before, but I love the first painting you posted.
Feel free to post as many as you like :angel:

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts
:lol: it's funny I went to a Kiefer expo at the Louvres a few weeks ago, I didn't know him that well before, but I love the first painting you posted.
Feel free to post as many as you like :angel:
He's amazing. :worship:

I will definitely post a bunch more when I come home next month. Please keep this thread going. :dance:

One more, because I :inlove: his work so much-

Untitled (Berenice) in 2003

1 - 20 of 806 Posts