Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on the news this morning that Guillermo Canas is to replace the injured Juan Ignacio Chela for Argentina's Davis Cup tie against Germany; yet I thought the whole reason Canas was originally left out of the team was that he was still suffering the after-effects of surgery for the wrist problem he had in 2002? Has he suddenly recovered?

At this rate, what with Haas' shoulder injury and Kiefer's problems on the German side, the court is going to resemble a field hospital by the end of the tie!

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know old Gaston is doing fine, but considering that Schuettler bagelled both him and Nalbandian during his productive visit to Australia I think the Argentines should start getting concerned.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
True enough, but given that clay is Rainers worst surface (his winniner percentage on clay is worse than on all other surfaces), I think that Argentina will be just fine.

That said, I would not be surprised to see Rainer beat David again, but I expect Gaudio to win both his matches.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
They can call Coria and Calleri and I guess they would still be fine.
Ok... not Calleri... :eek:

Gaudio and Canas wont have trouble on clay and at home, unless something illogical happens.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
In my humble opinion, Canas is better than David on clay...
I guess they will play Guille.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Canas is healthy even when he is not healthy... :p lol

He runs and retrieves anything, so thats gonna be important on a long match in Davis Cup.
Unless he breaks a leg or stuff, he SHOULD play. Now if the captain will want to pull a Fitzgerald and chalenge his own luck, well......... :eek:

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Considering how David flamed out to Rainer, I would find it surprising to play him over Gaudio and Canas if they were both healthy.

The captain damned the rankings before, and will hopefully do it again this time ;)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Oh he will... And I guess our team will damn the rankings too and play Saretta against Enqvist to keep Sa fresh for the doubles.
At least thats what SHOULD be done.
We never know with Davis Cup and their captains. lol :p

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting that you mention the Brazil-Sweden tie, as for some reason Sky have chosen to focus on that one for their coverage here in the UK (last time round they went for US v Slovak Republic, obviously not wanting to tax the viewers with the prospect of a competitive match).

Saretta is something of a mini-Kuerten, isn't he? - the same spindly legs and stubble and the same braying groans, but with little of the talent and none of the success. A match-up with Enqvist in Sweden would be hilarious for the extreme contrast in style and behaviour... although since Saretta has a good precedent in terms of beating Swedes on fast surfaces (12-10 in the fifth set!), the Brazilians might have a more than even chance.

As for Nalbandian and Gaudio, well... my signature reveals that I have somewhat differing opinions on them. Good old David is the most mentally fragile Argie of the lot to me, forever prone to bouts of Safinesque racket-throwing; meanwhile Gaston has a perfect DC record inside Argentina, while Canas could still give 110% in a match if you deliberately crippled him in one leg.

No prizes for guessing who the two singles players should be.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
David is actually my favourite of the Argetinian players, but for the sake of the team I realize- as well as hope and expect- that they should play Gaudio and Canas over him on clay.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Canas would have had more then two weeks since the AO to allow his wrist to recover so my guess is that it would be good enuf for the singles matches on clay.

Nalbandian may not be as good as the others on clay but he doesn't exactly suck either having grown up playing on the stuff. so i think he could take Rainer on this particular surface. i don't understand the comparison to his performance at the AO.

don't forget that Coria is also an excellent player. those drop shots are damn effective on this surface.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Coria was not called to play. I used him to prove that EVEN the non-selected ones would be more than capable of winning. ;)

And about Saretta, he has as good a shot of beating Enqvist than Sa: almost zero. If Thomas plays what he can, bye bye. Therefor, I would aim to both Guga´s singles and the doubles. For this very reason, they may want to keep Sa fresh.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Dissident said:
And about Saretta, he has as good a shot of beating Enqvist than Sa: almost zero.
:D :D So Diss, which one has a better chance: Pete winning in Roland Garros or Saretta/Sa winning a match in this DC tie?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
nononono, they have a chance of winning a match, yes, just I dont believe they can against Enqvist, who is among the ten best players in the world on indoor courts, imo.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I agree that David *should* take Rainer on clay, I just don't think that's he's as reliable as Gaudio on this surface. That said, I'm well aware of what David's career clay results are, and he has certaintly had his share of scalps (the biggest in guga's absense).

Canas if healthy has more dc experience etc etc- that, and since David and Arnold won that epic in doubles last time out, why not give them another run? They can always throw David on the last day, like they did last year.

Coria wasn't named to the team, was he?

Speaking of Coria - as long as he heeps rolling back to where it appeared he was headed before his "time off", the Argentinian players might soon make up a fifth of the top 25 ;)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Coria wasnt named. I agree with you he should be there some time.
Its taking longer than I expected already. Good lord, if he can play a match like that final against Guga (Brasil Open ´02).... :eek:

David is good on clay, yes. I just think Canas is better. ;)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Oh good lord... :confused:
What a huge mess...
Ill check some news to see who pulled out and who plays for Gods sake.
Ill get back here when I find it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts