Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am. Other than their insane consistency Federer, Nadal, Djokovic have also brought to the game some innovating shoths.

Nadal's innovating shot is obviosuly the FH with extreme topspin . Maybe I haven't seen enough young spanish players but as far as I can remember nobody is truely trying to emulate that shot even though Nadal's been a top 3 player for the last 9 years now.

For Federer it is the block return against big servers. He stays on the baseline and blocks their serve with that slice BH forcing the big guys to hit a low shot from the middle of the court. That shot alone has helped Fed routine the likes of Karlovic, Roddick, Isner, Soderling, Del Potro, Ljubicic, F. Lopez &co for the last 12 years, yet we don't see the young guys with a single handed BH using that shot (just think of Dimitrov's match against Karlovic). They just prefer to stay 3 m behind the baseline hoping to have a chance to return. It's crazy considering how much succes Federer has had against servebots with that shot alone that no other single handed BH player is even contemplating on trying to copy it.

For Djokovic is the BH on the full stretch. I know that shot is possible only you have an incredible flexible body but still, considering that 80% of the tour uses double handed BHs one would have thought that some of the players would try to imitate that shot.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think because they require exceptional talent, and not just working on it.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I want to copy Elvis' talent.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
You left out Murray, although I'm not entirely sure if he has a defining trademark shot. He's got all of the shots, but not one definite defining one. Defensive lob most likely. I suppose other players can do similar shots every now and then but Andy's consist depth with that damn lob is unbelievable.

That said, the Big 4 are able to do these shots because they're the Big 4. You have to be as good as them or near to it to be able to do any of these as good as them. Weaker and lesser imitations may occur in the future but I doubt we'll see players do those shots anywhere near as good as these guys do them.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Well I am. Other than their insane consistency Federer, Nadal, Djokovic have also brought to the game some innovating shoths.

Nadal's innovating shot is obviosuly the FH with extreme topspin . Maybe I haven't seen enough young spanish players but as far as I can remember nobody is truely trying to emulate that shot even though Nadal's been a top 3 player for the last 9 years now.

For Federer it is the block return against big servers. He stays on the baseline and blocks their serve with that slice BH forcing the big guys to hit a low shot from the middle of the court. That shot alone has helped Fed routine the likes of Karlovic, Roddick, Isner, Soderling, Del Potro, Ljubicic, F. Lopez &co for the last 12 years, yet we don't see the young guys with a single handed BH using that shot (just think of Dimitrov's match against Karlovic). They just prefer to stay 3 m behind the baseline hoping to have a chance to return. It's crazy considering how much succes Federer has had against servebots with that shot alone that no other single handed BH player is even contemplating on trying to copy it.

For Djokovic is the BH on the full stretch. I know that shot is possible only you have an incredible flexible body but still, considering that 80% of the tour uses double handed BHs one would have thought that some of the players would try to imitate that shot.
I consider that a good thing personally ;).

Djokovic does not have any 'innovating' shots BTW.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
You can't copy brilliance. You can't copy Picasso or Monet. I'd suggest you to develop your own stile or simply play within yourself.

I can watch Nole or Fed 24/7, I understand how they do it but ... Can I do it? No freaking way. Well, I'm an old fart so it doesn't really matter.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing to observe and learn whatever you can.

We joke about J.Groove here but he can probably tell you how difficult it could be :).

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Look how well copying Federer is working out for Dimitrov...

Trying to replicate great players' stroke production does not automatically make one great themselves.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
People you are not getting my point. I'm not saying that if some junior tries to copy Nadal's FH he would excute that shot as well as Nadal himself. I'm asking why other players are not even trying to copy these 3 greats. I mean look about 100 years ago everybody was playing with a single handed BH, then came the double handed and a lot of players adopted it. Similar stuff with the serve motion.

Later edit: to further explain my idea. Let us compare Federer's FH versus Nadal's FH. They are both amazing shots, but if Fed's FH is great just because of his amazing timing (something you can not teach) Nadal's FH on the other is great because of what now is perceived as an unorthodox technique. Why don't other players try to copy this technique and make it mainstream?

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look how well copying Federer is working out for Dimitrov...

Trying to replicate great players' stroke production does not automatically make one great themselves.
Dude but Dimitrov is number 12 in the world. If he had his own style maybe he wouln't have been a top 100 player.

·
Registered
176 Posts
People you are not getting my point. I'm not saying that if some junior tries to copy Nadal's FH he would excute that shot as well as Nadal himself. I'm asking why other players are not even trying to copy these 3 greats. I mean look about 100 years ago everybody was playing with a single handed BH, then came the double handed and a lot of players adopted it. Similar stuff with the serve motion.

Later edit: to further explain my idea. Let us compare Federer's FH versus Nadal's FH. They are both amazing shots, but if Fed's FH is great just because of his amazing timing (something you can not teach) Nadal's FH on the other is great because of what now is perceived as an unorthodox technique. Why don't other players try to copy this technique and make it mainstream?
I agree and wonder the same thing sometimes - IMO racquet tech will go further and somebody will emulate and surpass Nadal and hit with even more topspin... But I'm thinking when will somebody come along who hits with more topspin than Nadal? BUT it's too early - it'll be another 5-10 years, 2010 or even 2013 was when coaches probably thought yep let's copy the topspin FH and so a kid aged 4 in 2010 would come through in 2024... The reason I say 2010 is because before that fed was considered to be the model, and then in 2011 djokovic with his flat hitting showing top spin can be beaten.. IMO without djokovic or fed it would've been copied a lot but the Nadal FH is a technique that doesn't require as much talent, but can lose to the future generations GOAT player I.e. djokovic or a federer with a 2HBh... Imagine fed had a 2HBH, nadals FH wouldn't be as useful cause.. I do think though that like the 2HBH extreme topspin will become more common simply because it's easier and reduces the talent required to be successful

Dude but Dimitrov is number 12 in the world. If he had his own style maybe he wouln't have been a top 100 player.
+1 this has some truth to it lol dimugtrov should stop clowning with roger rasheed and hire an offensive coach, saying he's like fed isn't an insult its flattery and he has the talent and needs to be more aggressive and less passive if he wants to win slams...
Cause Gulbis has woken up and Thiem has arrived :worship:

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

Excellent, well put!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Dull isn't consistent.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Dull isn't consistent.
How not ? He is the only guy to have reached 7 calebdar years playing 2+ gs finals, and he is 1 match away to increase that number to 8. Fed and Lendl did it 6 times, borg and sampras only 5. If rafa isnt consistent then nobody is, let alone the guy in your avatar... He is close to be the only man to win at least one slam in a decade, he already stands alone with 9 years.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Dull isn't consistent.
Eight RG trophies in nine tries and similar results at MC, Barca and Rome? Yeah, no consistent dominance on clay at all. :lol:

As others have said in here, I think this comes down to young players simply not possessing the raw talent of Federer, the inhuman flexibility of Djokovic or the supreme discipline and physical gifts of Nadal. There's also the issue of each of the aforementioned players' games working as a whole and if you try to emulate one of them without getting the whole package right, you stand a good chance of getting something like Dimtrov.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
almost everyone has their own signature shot, nadal is the lasso forehand finish, djokovic is the split step full stretch backhand, Federers is the sliced shot disguised as a drop shot. murrays is probably his lob and delpo is his running forehand.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts