Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been like, anti-America, for the hell of it, and so now I am just feeling as if there was no purpose to that. I really do love a lot of our players. I mean, we all know my feelings for Roddick! Heer heer! I've always loved Pete; Paul Goldstein. I really adore Blake at the moment and Mardy Fish for some reason is my new fave when I never liked him before. The rest of the Americans, I don't really care for that much, but there are only a couple who I really don't like, a la Jan Michael Gambill.

But anyway, it's very common to find a Russian who is so pro-Russia and and the Spanish fans so pro-Spain. It's kinda funny that Americans aren't as commonly that way, but there are many obvious reasons as to why. So it's not a perplexing thing. I have never cheered for USA for Davis Cup, but I really will be a patriot this year just because it's easier this time since I actually dig the dudes, and dudettes. I think I am liking the American woman more too

Anyway, I would assume it's more likely for tennis fans of a dominating country to not be as patriotic as tennis fans of a country that doesn't have as many top players, but then that's not true when it comes to Spain... anyway, there is no thesis of this post, I am just blabbing

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I support a lot of players from the same countries, but none of them are from mine :)

I take exception and will root for Nestor (Canadian) and Knowles (of the Bahamas) in doubles and all, but I don't really pay that much attention as I do to the singles players I root for.

·
27,371 Posts
Well I'm from the afore mentioned Canada with all the sucky players :p But I do cheer for Knowles and Nestor but not like I cheer for Lleyton :eek: But I usually keep an eye out for them at grand slams, as I do for most of the Canadian players... I want them to do well but if don't, ah well lol... and I've never been faced with having a Canadian play vs. some of my faves ( at least, I don't think :eek: ) but if that did happen, Lleyton or Andy or Marat or whoever would get my support, not the Canadian player :eek:

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
No. The only American I ever cheer for is James.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I cheer for the players who I want to cheer for. :p

and also..What Scotso' said. :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
No, but I can be. Anybody here can help me get a Russian citizenship? :D ;) :p

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I am the most un-patriotic person you will ever meet when it comes to cheering for Australia in tennis. I dislike all the players. I use dislike cos hate is a strong word, and I only use that when referring to my feelings towards Hewitt :D

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SafinsBumMasseuse said:
I am the most un-patriotic person you will ever meet when it comes to cheering for Australia in tennis. I dislike all the players. I use dislike cos hate is a strong word, and I only use that when referring to my feelings towards Hewitt :D
*Gasp* Does this mean I am not the only one who doesn't pee my pants for Rafter?!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TheBoiledEgg said:
Yes :)

Nwan....... if Nigeria were good at tennis, i bet you'd be patriotic then ;)
Eggy :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Call me Nwando!! And yeah, I would kill for Nigeria to be good at tennis. It would be such a wonder. I wish there were tennis programs in West Africa like there are soccer.

It's definitely weird that I would jump for Nigeria and not USA. And these past years I've been like a faux-Brazilian, Belgian and Swiss, but I can't even cherish my own land. Lately, I've just been thinking it's so lame to adopt yourself into another country instead of actually liking your own. And I do love America so very much!!!!! I am changing my ways! I don't want to be like that anymore. I love Brazil and Switzerland and Belgium, but when it comes to team competition, I really want to have a love for my country, even if they play Brazil and it's James vs. Guga. I would hope I would be strong enough to want James to win

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.