Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been like, anti-America, for the hell of it, and so now I am just feeling as if there was no purpose to that. I really do love a lot of our players. I mean, we all know my feelings for Roddick! Heer heer! I've always loved Pete; Paul Goldstein. I really adore Blake at the moment and Mardy Fish for some reason is my new fave when I never liked him before. The rest of the Americans, I don't really care for that much, but there are only a couple who I really don't like, a la Jan Michael Gambill.

But anyway, it's very common to find a Russian who is so pro-Russia and and the Spanish fans so pro-Spain. It's kinda funny that Americans aren't as commonly that way, but there are many obvious reasons as to why. So it's not a perplexing thing. I have never cheered for USA for Davis Cup, but I really will be a patriot this year just because it's easier this time since I actually dig the dudes, and dudettes. I think I am liking the American woman more too

Anyway, I would assume it's more likely for tennis fans of a dominating country to not be as patriotic as tennis fans of a country that doesn't have as many top players, but then that's not true when it comes to Spain... anyway, there is no thesis of this post, I am just blabbing

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I support a lot of players from the same countries, but none of them are from mine :)

I take exception and will root for Nestor (Canadian) and Knowles (of the Bahamas) in doubles and all, but I don't really pay that much attention as I do to the singles players I root for.

·
27,371 Posts
Well I'm from the afore mentioned Canada with all the sucky players :p But I do cheer for Knowles and Nestor but not like I cheer for Lleyton :eek: But I usually keep an eye out for them at grand slams, as I do for most of the Canadian players... I want them to do well but if don't, ah well lol... and I've never been faced with having a Canadian play vs. some of my faves ( at least, I don't think :eek: ) but if that did happen, Lleyton or Andy or Marat or whoever would get my support, not the Canadian player :eek:

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
No. The only American I ever cheer for is James.

·
Registered
444 Posts
No, but I can be. Anybody here can help me get a Russian citizenship? :D ;) :p

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I am the most un-patriotic person you will ever meet when it comes to cheering for Australia in tennis. I dislike all the players. I use dislike cos hate is a strong word, and I only use that when referring to my feelings towards Hewitt :D

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Hell Yeah! Go USA!
Go SERENA
Go VENUS
Go MONICA
Go MARTINA
Go LINDSAY
Go RODDICK
Go JAMES BLAKE
Go ALEXANDRA
Go TODD
Go ANDRE
And to the newest American: GO MARAT:p

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SafinsBumMasseuse said:
I am the most un-patriotic person you will ever meet when it comes to cheering for Australia in tennis. I dislike all the players. I use dislike cos hate is a strong word, and I only use that when referring to my feelings towards Hewitt :D
*Gasp* Does this mean I am not the only one who doesn't pee my pants for Rafter?!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TheBoiledEgg said:
Yes :)

Nwan....... if Nigeria were good at tennis, i bet you'd be patriotic then ;)
Eggy :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Call me Nwando!! And yeah, I would kill for Nigeria to be good at tennis. It would be such a wonder. I wish there were tennis programs in West Africa like there are soccer.

It's definitely weird that I would jump for Nigeria and not USA. And these past years I've been like a faux-Brazilian, Belgian and Swiss, but I can't even cherish my own land. Lately, I've just been thinking it's so lame to adopt yourself into another country instead of actually liking your own. And I do love America so very much!!!!! I am changing my ways! I don't want to be like that anymore. I love Brazil and Switzerland and Belgium, but when it comes to team competition, I really want to have a love for my country, even if they play Brazil and it's James vs. Guga. I would hope I would be strong enough to want James to win

1 - 20 of 52 Posts