Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Djokovic looks back to his best. Federer looks to be in decline, playing good tennis but not the kind of level needed to beat Djokovic, at least in Bo5. Nadal's physique is a question mark with several injuries. Murray and Wawrinka haven't played top-level tennis in a long time and the new generation doesn't look slam-winning material yet.

So, is 2019 a golden opportunity to win the four slams in the same year? He's the only one to win them in a row since 1969, so it wouldn't be something crazy and unimaginable.

This is probably the best chance somebody had at the beginning of a season (well, one month and a half remaining) since Federer in 2005 I think. It's strange looking back, that that was the only year Federer had at his peak winning 2 slams instead of 3, but at the beginning of the year, it looked like his best shot. In 2004 we didn't know he'd be that dominant. And in 2006 and 2007 Nadal was a lock for Roland Garros. He was just unlucky that he ran into a formidable Safin that year and not the others. And that Nadal started dominating clay just a few weeks before Roland Garros (in February he was still being bageled and breadsticked by Gaudio in the same match). If Nadal had just peaked a bit later and Federer had converted that MP against Safin, he probably would have done it. Despite winning "only" 2 slams, it looks closer looking back than 2006 and 2007 where he just wasn't beating Nadal, and 2004 where he lost too early at the French.

Anyway, back on topic, since then Nadal never looked like a serious candidate to win the CGS, Federer never did again look like he had a shot, mainly because of RG, and Djokovic had some years when it looked like he might have a shot, but he still needed to beat Nadal at RG. So only in 2016 he went into a year as #1 and having done so, I think that was a "realistic" shot considering the challenge, but Murray, Wawrinka and Federer were all playing well, and Nadal was always going to come back at some point.

Nonetheless, it's still a highly unlikely achievement, but I think it has a decent shot of happening compared to other years.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm sorry for popping your bubble but the same was said by the end of 2015.

Bump this thread in 2019 if Djoker wins AO, RG, and Wimbledon and we'll talk right then. For now, he is 0/4.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Yeah, I don't see how he has better chance than in 2016. In 2016 he was comming after his best season. He was destroying top 10 players for fun. He had just straight setted Rafa at RG. Rogie was supposed to be too old to pose a threat. Rafa seemed to be done in 2015. Murray wasn't back to his best.

·
Registered
574 Posts
In 2016 it was a combination of his mind playing tricks on him, and his body compensating. First the wrist started being an issue, then the elbow. Now it seems like he is injury free and his mind at peace. Not sure if that will be enough for CYGS but if he maintains his consistency great things can happen. So far the biggest adversary in his career has been himself, but he knows exactly how to overcome that.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Still 1-2 matches left in 2018, can't look past it

·
Registered
796 Posts
No, he's 31, he's won 2 of the last 10 Grand Slams, and his level has been very poor for most of the last two years. He's been very good for the last 5 months or so, but there's no guarantee he won't go back to his poor form and no way on God's earth that a player with a recent history like that has a better chance than a 26-27 year old player who's been mowing through the tour beating Nadal at RG and Federer at Wimbledon for the last two years.

The competition's likely to be weaker in 2019, but Djokovic isn't the player he was either.

·
Registered
57,606 Posts
Nadal will always be at worst co-favorite for RG. Federer can't be totally discounted.

I think at least one of Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, and de Minaur might legitimately be contending for Slams next year too tbh.

·
The special one
14,037 Posts
Nah there's no way, not impossible, but a 1% chance I'd give it. 2015 and 16 were better chances, he was playing better in 2015 especially and Nadal was in worse form on Clay in 2015-16 than he should be next year, I can't see Novak beating him at RG if Nadal's level is the same as it was this year and last year.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
C'mon man, Djokovic hasn't even played his first AO match yet

CYGS talk shouldn't start until the second week of Wimbledon
At that point it won't be "before the year" scenario.

I'm sorry for popping your bubble but the same was said by the end of 2015.

Bump this thread in 2019 if Djoker wins AO, RG, and Wimbledon and we'll talk right then. For now, he is 0/4.
Idem.

And no. In 2016 there were more threats at the top. But yeah, it was one of the cases were the chances were somewhat realistic.

Yeah, I don't see how he has better chance than in 2016. In 2016 he was comming after his best season. He was destroying top 10 players for fun. He had just straight setted Rafa at RG. Rogie was supposed to be too old to pose a threat. Rafa seemed to be done in 2015. Murray wasn't back to his best.
After such a strong season in 2015 it was kinda expected a decline at some point. Especially once he finally won RG that was such a big target.

Now he's just getting back to his best, so he will be fresher than in 2016 after playing a whole season at an insane level. And he won't be hangover after winning RG or any other slam since they will mean basically the same. RG was an important milestone in 2016, so it felt like a challenge achieved once he got it, that's why he declined so much after it. Now there's not a similar scenario.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If he can win 5 in a row then that would be a much bigger deal than CGYS. Then going for CGYS the bigger deal would be 6 in a row.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
He has a chance but overall I’d say it’s around 5-10%
He should win 2 slams next season and most likely would be AO and Wim.

I think Nadal, Thiem and Zverev will be the main challengers at the French.
At the US I believe some of the new Generation will have a shot at their first major and wouldn’t be surprised if we have a new winner.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts