Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well are we?

Seems like the likes of Tomic and Harrison are getting a lot of harsh criticism for their age. Hello, they're still teenagers!

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
It's mostly because guys like Tomic and Harrison are arrogant without the results to back it up.

Guys like Pospisil, Raonic and Berankis :)sobbing:) are more laid back.

·
Premium Member
21,593 Posts
It's mostly because guys like Tomic and Harrison are arrogant without the results to back it up.
Good point. :)

Well are we?

Seems like the likes of Tomic and Harrison are getting a lot of harsh criticism for their age. Hello, they're still teenagers!
Next year those two will be 20 years old, while Raonic and Dimitrov will be 21.... not exactly teenagers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes. Teenaged Nadal was a freak, not the template.
Nadal?

Gasquet made an MS F before he was 19.
Monfils was top 30 before he was 19.
Djokovic had a MS F/W before he was 20.
Murray had made 3 MS SF before he was 20.
Gublis had made a GS QF before he was 20.
Berdych had an MS W not long after he was 20.
Baghdatis had a GS F at 20.5.

Tomic's the only one whose done something comparable so far.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
No but not appreciative enough of how good the current top20 is. Everyone raised their game to be able to compete with Fedal and in the end the big losers are the "next generation".

A whole bunch of 25-30 year olds now that are awesome players so the 18-20 year olds have a hard time. Gone are the days when a 18-19 with a body like a wimpy teenager could battle his way to a big final. Players are so physically strong now that it takes time to adjust so I think we will see less and less teenage phenomenons and more and more players getting their big breaks at 25 or even at 27-28

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
No but not appreciative enough of how good the current top20 is. Everyone raised their game to be able to compete with Fedal and in the end the big losers are the "next generation".

A whole bunch of 25-30 year olds now that are awesome players so the 18-20 year olds have a hard time. Gone are the days when a 18-19 with a body like a wimpy teenager could battle his way to a big final. Players are so physically strong now that it takes time to adjust so I think we will see less and less teenage phenomenons and more and more players getting their big breaks at 25 or even at 27-28
Agree.

I think it's fine to critisize, as long as you don't abuse the youngsters by like calling them "mugs" or someting.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Nadal?

Gasquet made an MS F before he was 19.
Monfils was top 30 before he was 19.
Djokovic had a MS F/W before he was 20.
Murray had made 3 MS SF before he was 20.
Gublis had made a GS QF before he was 20.
Berdych had an MS W not long after he was 20.
Baghdatis had a GS F at 20.5.

Tomic's the only one whose done something comparable so far.
Good points. Okay, so we're not being too hard on them.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
It's actually indicative of how amazingly quickly the game has changed over just a few years. The quality of the youngsters rising up in the game hasn't declined, it's just that in the past 10 years, the amount of stamina and physicality needed at pretty much all levels of the game has increased immensely. Just look at any two half-decent challenger players go at each other now, and compare it to how it used to be a few years back.

Those mentioned above like Gasquet, Gulbis etc arrived during a transitional time in the game where youngsters were required to be really physically fit to make it to the top, but not as much as is necessary today. Rallies have become incredibly long even compared to 7 or 8 years ago, so only rare cases like Nadal who as a teen had netherworldly fitness and mental stamina it is possible to climb to the very top quickly. Now though, rare talents like Tomic still struggle to keep up with those peaked physical monsters at the top of the game, though making a GS QF at 18 nowadays deserves praise.. won't see that again for a LONG time. But running on talent alone while the youngsters' bodies haven't reached their physical peak is no longer good enough to consistently compete at the top level.

I'd say Donald Young's development actually isn't slow or even late, the future will more than likely have players who develop and rise up in the game in a similar way to him. He is probably the first signs of what is to come. Not that it's a bad thing, players will probably have extended careers because of it, with more and more staying at the top after the age of 30.

In conclusion, yeah we bloody well are. The next grand slam chump is in there afterall. *Grin*

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
No, because (I guess if Young is still considered next generation) they are arrogant and haven't achieved much. Young is 22- Del Potro is 23. (he is only a month younger than me incidentally) Some generational difference! Murray and Djokovic are 24-ancient! Del Potro won the US open at 20. In 2009, not some other generation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well are we?

No, they suck. All of them. Davydenko is returning from injury at 30 and even
he is more successfull than all the youngsters. And Davydenko was just a top 10 player
from his generation at his peak.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
No, they suck. All of them. Davydenko is returning from injury at 30 and even he is more successfull than all the youngsters. And Davydenko was just a top 10 player from his generation at his peak.
Ferrero and Haas as well.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Not really. All this crap about the game having evolved is bullshit. They are just not playing well at all, aside from a few good matches here and there. No idea what the reason is. But there's no reason for Harrison to have such a shitty backhand, or for Tomic to be inconsistent and weaponless.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
Good point, but we mustn't oversee a gay who is the most arrogant underachiever of them all-Ernest Gulbis.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
It is sad. I rally don't see any of these young guys breaking through. They just don't have it. Nole, Raf and Rog will simply destroy them. Eventually someone will show up but I don't think it's Tomic, Dolgo etc.

I don't think we are being too harsh. I just think we are being honest.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
No. The new generation is a disgrace to the game. Very little talent, but boatload of arrogance.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts