Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting mixed messages from this two. I remember seeing their celebration in Beijing Olympics and I thought they were really close. Then a couple a years ago I hear stories their not really that close, more like colleagues and not the close friends that people assume them to be. I'm wondering coz Swiss Diva might not like being too close to someone who most likely will be beating him more often than not in the future.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Warinka was the loser and pretends he is happy to have "the GOAT" as a "best friend".
Now Federer is the loser and pretends that he is happy that his loser friend does better than himself and is no longer a loser anymore.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Good friends, not BFFS. The age difference is big, they didn't grow up together, and BTW - their disposition is quite different.
I rate BFF as a confidant, someone you can always come to when things are rough, pretty sure that's not Stan for Roger. Not sure anyone currently on tour is - Marco C, maybe.

Roger got a lot of friends on tour, I believe Stan is one of them. He's a true friend, but neither Stan nor Roger will ever let that hinder their ultimate cause (winning).

Roger didn't lose to Stan because of their friendship, he lost to him because Stan was better in the third, and Roger didn't find the extra gear he found against Tsonga.

·
Registered
467 Posts
They are close friends not BFF. And I don't think it's about winning/losing. Fed is great friends with Tsonga and Del Potro both of whom beat Fed in bigger arenas than Stan.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Stan said in his press after the final that Roger is his best friend on the tour.
I guess the pictures we get to see of them together at practices, matches and the trophy ceremony speak for themselves.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You don't see Roger "genuinely happy" over his opponent win as he was for Stan yesterday. I think Roger and Benoit are Stan's best friends on the tour

·
Registered
21,274 Posts
Fed is good friends with Wawrinka, not BBF though, using that term for Stan's friendship with Paire would be more appropriate

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Lovers.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Good friends, not BFFS. The age difference is big, they didn't grow up together, and BTW - their disposition is quite different.
:confused: 3 years is not that big. There is a bigger difference with Paire who is his best buddy on the tour.

I am late in the party, but how did Paire and Stan have that kind of good friendship, as Paire is French and Stan is Swiss -- how did it form, as they are considerably not in the same age group?
Stan generally get along with the frenchies during the tournements, because of the language, it's easier when you share the same native language. Stan and Benoit seem to share the same sense of humour, they have fun together, that's all.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Stan and Roger have something like brotherhood, like in Asian culture, where the bigger pal take care of his young, when the latter show his respect and believe in return. This kind of bond is considered stronger than friendship, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I think Roger and Stan are friends but I do not believe they are BFFs. Look, on the pro tour it is so competitive because everyone wants to win. Stan looked up to Roger for a long time. It was tough for Stan to be in Roger's shadow but he handled it well. Now Stan has matured he is a grand slam champion and out of Rogers' shadow. I think Roger realizes from this loss he must take Stan seriously when he plays him. Stan is now a rival of Roger and I think he finally realizes it after being destroyed in the third set.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
I don't think they are like best friend ever etc but surely they are quite close.

Fed was really happy yesterday after the loss, if the opponent was someone else..he would have been really angry to lose an important title.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
lovers

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
Nick Lester ‏@nicklester 18s
The Swiss over 35 team at the ITF senior world championships in Florida this week looking strong,Kratochvil,Heuberger and @yvesallegro

1 - 20 of 46 Posts