Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed around this forum, a big use of "vultures". I thought it's funny.

But I wondered what is it about vultures that bothered people.

Who are some well known vultures people will come to see?

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Ferrer is the most associated with that name.
Rafa in Barcelona is another.

While Federer in Halle or Basel is not considered Volture status, go figure.

·
Premium Member
21,467 Posts
Actually, there were no vultures mentioned here until recently. A couple of users, with one or two especially vocal ones, pushed that agenda so now there you have it.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Term vulture is usually used by semi-troll posters towards the players they don´t like and want to reduce their achievements when they play smaller tournaments in which they are favourites.

Similar with overuse of pusher/ballbasher thing. Fans/haters of either style wants to discredit the players which don´t play the same style they prefers to watch.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Its interesting, vulture was a term used to associate guys who compiled huge proportions of their ranking by playing a lot of weaker field tournaments. It was a term that my experience peaked in usage in this forum around late 2012 to late 2013 associated mainly with Ferrer, disregarding the fact most of his point came from going deep in the grand slams.

Also if ur player goes out of a tournament leaving an easier path for his rival in the draw, the rival is a vulture best example Ferrer Paris 2012 masters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Vultures aren't exclusive to 250 events either, you get vultures further down the tier from the Ferrer's and Wawrinka's with pro's going down to Challenger tournaments to scavenge the points off young up and comers and journeymen.

·
Registered
21,897 Posts

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Term vulture is usually used by semi-troll posters towards the players they don´t like and want to reduce their achievements when they play smaller tournaments in which they are favourites.

Similar with overuse of pusher/ballbasher thing. Fans/haters of either style wants to discredit the players which don´t play the same style they prefers to watch.
TRUE, and well put!

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Nasal's clay
Ferret all the time

Reactions: 17-6-302

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I would personally only use that word when a Top 5 player enters a "random" tournament where he is clearly the huge favorite and that tournament is happening within a week of a Slam (unless he had no preparation for the slam).

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Ferrer is the most associated with that name.
Rafa in Barcelona is another.

While Federer in Halle or Basel is not considered Volture status, go figure.
Halle or Basel draw is much stronger compared to Buenos Aires and fake Rio Master that Dull vultures.

GO FIGURE.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Buenos Aires didn't have another top 50 player save Nadal.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
its obvious you are not oblivious to the term if you are using it in your very OP / title. its insulting, a 'vulture' in commonplace culture has a negative connotation as something or someone who 'picks a the leftovers / wounds / undesired. it's rude and fairly inappropriate to label players that who take step up to the plate and win lots of smaller events that top players don't care about
I mean in good fun I don't mind the term occasionally but unfortunately there are wayyyyyyy too many haters of Ferrer and other Spanish players on here who constantly dog them with that term. growwwwwwwwwwwwwwww up

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
I noticed around this forum, a big use of "vultures". I thought it's funny.

But I wondered what is it about vultures that bothered people.

Who are some well known vultures people will come to see?

I know what many people think here on board. Some of them are very ugly and the fact they're scavengers really don't give any more credits birds normal used to get. However, if you google them you'll find some funny ones, and the probably most famous vultures pics I posted here. And I'm sure many people would like to see one.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Depends on the player, Fed vulturing in turkey is fine for mtf as is delpo vulturing every 500 known to man. Hatred for Ferrer always though.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Most MTF members hate every successful player, bar their favourite, and therefore normal behaviour of those successful players is held against them.

To some, it's nice when a top player supports a small tournament. To others, it's terrible that they win easy points at the expense of their favourite who didn't bother to enter. There's no way they are actually concerns for the lower ranked players.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts