Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer vs Kyrgios is on any day a bigger match as compared to Nole vs his turkey gasquet. Yet the latter gets the night session.

Paire is also a tougher opponent than Tennys Sandgren any day, yet Nole gto the night match again in the previous round.

In the next round, Federer has to play Millman or Kukushin, if he gets through Kyrgios. Since neither of these two names are big draws, I assume Federer will again play the day session.

The man is 37 years old, playing his last or may be penultimate US open, yet the organizers seem to be planning to force him to play 3 day matches in gruelling heat vs tougher opponents before facing Nole. Not to forget he is ranked NO 2 in the world as against No6E, yet has got fewer night sessions.

Also, being a match vs servebot, Federer may have to play 3.5-4 hr five setter in gruelling heat which might even mess up the schedule for the rest of the day. Yet organizers seem to be willing to take that risk and schedule it in the day.

THis is on top of Wimbledon organizers disrespecting Roger by putting him on court no 1 despite being the top seed and putting No10E on centre court despite latter playing a NID match against his biggest turkey nishikori.

NAdal meanwhile has played 2 matches on night session in the first two rounds , despite Wawrinka vs Dimitrov being a potentially more interesting match to be scheduled there.

What do you guys think? Is it deliberate by the USO oragnizers? What is the rationale for scheduling Kyrgios vs Federer in the day session when it clearly is the blockbuster match tomorrow?

Conspiracy theory: Has it got to do with the move from Nike to Uniqlo that Roger has got unfavourable treatment in the 2 subsequent slams

·
Registered
26,785 Posts
They scheduled match according to Roger Federer's wish.

One could argue they are disrespectful to Kyrgios who hates to play there at heat (literally, refuses :lol:) but the boy has not earned right for respect, yet.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts

One could argue they are disrespectful to Kyrgios who hates to play there at heat (literally, refuses :lol:) but the boy has not earned right for respect, yet.
:lol: no...I am pretty sure if given chance he would have chosen night slot..it's decided by the organizers and on first Saturday at USO, day slot is considered as prime slot...which is why organizers scheduled Roger-Nick match for the day session

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
If you really want to know why Federer is scheduled in the day rather than the night, look no further than the Alabama college football game ABC/ESPN has scheduled for prime time tomorrow. The Open's TV partners play a huge role in the schedule each day and ESPN no doubt requested Federer not be competition for that game on their own network.

·
10,277 Posts
If you really want to know why Federer is scheduled in the day rather than the night, look no further than the Alabama college football game ABC/ESPN has scheduled for prime time tomorrow. The Open's TV partners play a huge role in the schedule each day and ESPN no doubt requested Federer not be competition for that game on their own network.
It's this.

College Football, while just being a "secondary" tier sport is WAY more popular than tennis and the U.S. Open.

Heck, even if you had Serena, Roddick, Venus and Sampras were in some important match together, America would probably choose college football. (Don't tell any other Americans, but I have never gotten the appeal to College Football!)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

it's not going to be very hot on Saturday. max temp 26

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I applaud the decision. Kyrgios has not earned a right to have a night session match, with his efforts since the Australian Open. Yes the match will likely be closer than Gasquet-Djokovic, but it's not all that matters.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
No I would put this match in the day slot as well. There is absolutely no chance I would trust Nick Kyrgios with a night spot on Arthur Ashe.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
I've had this idea for a while, where I count the number of uses certain words get, like "disgusting", "mug", and "disrespectful".

Probably won't, but it's still a nice idea.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Americans choose handegg over Fraud, deal with it.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
actually they are afraid that people will chose Federer over football. They dont have this fear with Djokovic, obviously.

also no and alsof Federer never seemed to be bothered much by heat.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Federer vs Kyrgios is on any day a bigger match as compared to Nole vs his turkey gasquet. Yet the latter gets the night session.

Paire is also a tougher opponent than Tennys Sandgren any day, yet Nole gto the night match again in the previous round.

In the next round, Federer has to play Millman or Kukushin, if he gets through Kyrgios. Since neither of these two names are big draws, I assume Federer will again play the day session.

The man is 37 years old, playing his last or may be penultimate US open, yet the organizers seem to be planning to force him to play 3 day matches in gruelling heat vs tougher opponents before facing Nole. Not to forget he is ranked NO 2 in the world as against No6E, yet has got fewer night sessions.

Also, being a match vs servebot, Federer may have to play 3.5-4 hr five setter in gruelling heat which might even mess up the schedule for the rest of the day. Yet organizers seem to be willing to take that risk and schedule it in the day.

THis is on top of Wimbledon organizers disrespecting Roger by putting him on court no 1 despite being the top seed and putting No10E on centre court despite latter playing a NID match against his biggest turkey nishikori.

NAdal meanwhile has played 2 matches on night session in the first two rounds , despite Wawrinka vs Dimitrov being a potentially more interesting match to be scheduled there.

What do you guys think? Is it deliberate by the USO oragnizers? What is the rationale for scheduling Kyrgios vs Federer in the day session when it clearly is the blockbuster match tomorrow?

Conspiracy theory: Has it got to do with the move from Nike to Uniqlo that Roger has got unfavourable treatment in the 2 subsequent slams

He is still playing on Arthur Ashe isn't he? Not playing on court 9 or something like that?

Top players have nothing to complain about. It is the lower ranked players who play on the outside courts who should be complaining of favouritism.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Even as Nole fan I'll admit Fed vs Kyrg is more interesting match, so I have no problem with Fedex fans complaining about this.

However, we should keep one thing in mind, it would look very ugly if Greek clown would start his clowning act like he did in previous round, noone wants to see that in prime time TV.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
First of all:
Weekend daytime in USA = prime time.
+ no heat
+ roof

I wish they put Novak during the day, no way I'm watching him play at 3 am. And against Gasquet of all people.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts