Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

Registered
I wouldn鈥檛 be surprised if there is one day a whole stadium named after Djokovic (and rightfully so) in Serbia 馃嚪馃嚫
After all, he is one of the most successful sportsman from there
One of the most? who comes even close?

Registered
He wasn't that fine tbh, I think in the first set he won like 2 points on Zverev's serve, for the entire set. Zverev came back to Earth after that, throwing some double faults etc, while Medvedev just kept serving bombs all match long
Zverev in set 1 was the highest level I've seen at this tournament and yet it didn't discourage Novak. Medved was superb in set 1 but he was there for taking in set 2 and set 3. Not only he gave 5 BPs in set 2 but he even wanted to choke the last set! It didn't work out cause spiritless Novak was already 2 breaks down.

Reactions: sav001

Registered
Of course they are devastated , they realize now that he wont win the slam race and will be behind Rafa next year .
I wish Nadal a good recovery and I hope to see great matches between Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer before they all retire.

Registered
Are Joe's fans heartbroken and shattered like I was after Wim 19F?

Please share your true feelings. Dont hold back. Share with me where you're at.
Heartbroken, no. Disappointed with the performance in the final and during the tournament, yes.

Roger played an amazing semifinal match against Nadal i 2019 W, a classic, was up a set against Djokovic, and then in the fifth had two match points on his serve.

Djokovic didn't show up in a final, there was no drama, and his rivalry with Medvedev is nowhere near Federer/Nadal rivalry.

If he played Federer in the final, it would be worse.

Registered
Sure right after the match year, few hours later i realized if Nole won this he probably would be less motivated and maybe not even play that much. I feel after this USO and pressure going down, he will come back stronger.

Registered
I wish Nadal a good recovery and I hope to see great matches between Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer before they all retire.
I see that probably there can be a few more great matches between Djoko and Nadal , I don't see Fed playing next year.

WOAT Predictor
Nope, I expected him to lose to Medvedev since Wimbledon final and was confident he is not winning it after Medvedev get the easiest cakewalk ever in his half.

Registered
Thanks for sharing.

TBH I'm not interested in mocking Djokovic fans. I don't get any joy from someone else's pain. I'm not a hateful person in general.
It's just that you guys(not you specifically) gave us so much crap for Wim 19 F that I went on a vengeful spree. Sorry about that but you can't say you didn't see it coming.

I'm just glad Djokovic fans can relate to how we were feeling after Wim 19F so you won't mock us again. The 40-15 sting is gone.

Atleast you guys still got next year. We got nothing, Wim 19 was Fed's swansong and that was brutally snatched away by Joe.
Not buying it, monfed, my friend. You feed on Schadenfreude, just like me.

My balls tell me all Djokotards will suffer a lot in 2022. But we will see.

Registered
On one side I am very umpleased, as it will never happen again to have such a big chance to end all dubts about GOAT. I mean, he is the GOAT as well (and actually became GOAT this year, winning 3 more slams, and crashing n.1 weeks record). But with Grand Slams, no more discussion at all.

On the oter side, it was such a dramatic outcome, such an emotional moment when he cried for people support, that somehow he is greater in defeat than in victory.

He has nothing more to show (lets' remembar that his competitors never whent even close to achieve a Grand Slam).
He knows it will not happen, so I think he will focus on single slams, wothout all this pression.
He love tennis, and do not like to lose. I guess he looks forward to play again wih Medveve...without all world on his shoulders.
So, Ithink he will come back in 2022 and he will be out for blood.. Of course no one believes he will dominate as last 11 years. He will have to accept lot more defeats. Such Federer since 2011 and Nadal since 2013 out ROland Garros.
But I think he can still win 3 or 4 grand slams titles. And he will

Registered
Since I was expecting Medvedev to win in four sets, it didn't hurt that much.

I was probably more devastated when I saw No1e's and then Medvedev's draw.

Registered
Thanks for sharing.

TBH I'm not interested in mocking Djokovic fans. I don't get any joy from someone else's pain. I'm not a hateful person in general.
It's just that you guys(not you specifically) gave us so much crap for Wim 19 F that I went on a vengeful spree. Sorry about that but you can't say you didn't see it coming.

I'm just glad Djokovic fans can relate to how we were feeling after Wim 19F so you won't mock us again. The 40-15 sting is gone.

Atleast you guys still got next year. We got nothing, Wim 19 was Fed's swansong and that was brutally snatched away by Joe.
Actually I understand, but Federer defeat was much more painful on my opinion. The Grand Slam was a nice dream, but I think Djokovic, in january 2021, was just hoping to win 1 or maximum 2 slams. He won 3! including RG defeating Nadal. And he losed a slam not against his rivals, but versus a young Russian that he likes and recognized him as GOAT (as Zverev, Berrettini did after losing in SF and QF). So, let's say is a shame, but not a devasting lost.
For Federer in W19, and Nadal in RG 2021 for me it was much worse, as they lost against their wors rival, in their preferred field. In case of Roger, I can understand it was really sad for all supporters. No joy on this on my side, I was just happy for Djokovic

Registered
Novak Djokovic
People have very short memories, but we have to remember how we were at the end of last season: Wimbledon had been cancelled, Novak had been DQed from the USO and Rafa had beaten him emphatically at the RG final. The slam tally was: 20-20-17.

I remember thinking, trying to be rational: "Novak will be 34 this year, winning slams will get harder and harder, IF we are very lucky, he will win 2 slams this season. Judging by how Rafa played, he will win RG. So by the end of 2021 the slam tally will be 21-20-19."

Let's assume 2022 will be equally good or Novak (a very tall ask, him being 35). Let's assume he wins 2 slams and Rafa gets RG. At the end of 2022, the slam tally will be 22-20-21. Novak woild still be behind.

We would need a third year for Novak to be able to catch Rafa.

That's how things looked in January this year.

I had given up the idea that Novak would ever catch Rafa, based on what had happened in 2020.

So imagine my delight when he won the AO, broke the all-time record of weeks at #1, beat Rafa at RG, won RG, completed his second career slam and then won Wimbledon to tie the slam tally at 20-20-20.

Novak closed the GOAT debate in a few months.

When he won Wimbledon, I said: "That's it. Novak has done it. Everything else is a bonus."

The thing is, he is so great that he gave us hope for an even better season.

It would have been beautiful, it would have been poetic justice... Alas, that never happens outside fairy tales.

We are still left with a season beyond what even I, being insanely optimistic, had dared to hope for.

Honestly, I am counting my blessings.

Registered
No way you have to play it, you have to go for it all
HIndsights are always easy.. what if he skipped Olympics and still lost it? that 'what-if' hanging around neck is way worse than just doing it.

This is what I argue against those who say Fed should have retired when he was ahead of Novak in h2h.. Knowing himself he can still play and watching all this he would suffer with a big what-if forever in life. I am glad he did not retire and kept trying. Pete Sampras made statements like this after retirement.. what if I switched racket.. what if I continued..

No what-if regrets.. try, win or loss. Novak trying for it all was the best thing to do.. had he won.. story would be so different with him replacing Laver as the GOAT.

Registered
I am Djokovic fan but I realise that I am just that - a fan. My life doesn't depend on whether he is number 1, has 21 slams or is on a loosing streak. I just calmly enjoy tournaments and if last Sunday performance happen I reflect on reasons why that occured but it has no big impact on my life. I don't know Novak personally :)

Registered
Nah, not at all. It's been a spectacular year. Who would have thought at the end of last year Djokovic would be sharing the slam record? It was 20-20-17, and Nadal was a lock for RG, and Djokovic was injured during the AO. It was potentially 21-17 and now we are 20-20-20. 3 slams, one of them being Roland Garros, and beating Nadal is a huge achievement. You can't win everything. He already won the four slams in a row and he's going to win #21 too, just a bit later. It would be ridiculous to be devastated because he won THREE slams in a year and not four. I don't think Federer and Nadal fans were when they failed to do the same. And it's not like the match against Medvedev was close and he gave it away.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts