Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

Registered
Novak Djokovic
I am not devastated.

I was very tense on Sunday and I wanted Novak to win very badly, but it was not to be.

I just remember how we started 2021: Novak with 17 slams and 300 weeks at #1.

This season he won 3 slams, tied the all-time record of slams won, broke the all-time record of weeks at #1 and completed a second career slam.

He is now the holder, jointly or on his own, of the most important tennis records: weeks at #1, YE#1, most slams, most masters, most big titles, most top-10 wins, most top-5 wins, most consecutive slam wins, double career slam, double golden masters, positive H2H against Federer and Nadal.

If somebody had asked me in January whether I would be happy with a season like this I would have said: "Where do I sign?"

The fact that he was that close is a testament to his greatness.

Now Novak can relax, play freely, try to break his own records. 馃榾

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Disappointed very much, of course mere casual players or even ATGs could have faltered in similar situation, Laver did not last time, he played a bloke in 1969 USO final whom he beat in 2 further big grass slam finals. He was at least lucky there.
Anyway I expected Djokovic to get better prepared psychologically... it's just such a contrast to be utterly focused like 2021 RG semi or a complete mess like here in the final. In his own terms, this was his biggest failure. Not due to straight sets, but the way how he lost it.
Of course he will come back stronger, but not really getting into this situation anymore, mainly because he won't win RG next year.

Teniski centar Novak | Novak Tennis Center
This is owned by the Djokovic family. His younger brother, Djordje was managing it since his retirement... Belgrade I and II ATP tourneys this year were held there.

They wanted to name a square as "Simona Halep Esplanade" in Bucharest after Halep 2 years ago when she won Wimbledon. The Romanians are really nationalistic btw.
Nice to hear from you and sorry for your loss.

It's good they have a tennis center for him, hopefully they'll create a stadium for him or a statue in future, who knows?

I didn't know Romanians are nationalistic. Thanks for sharing that. I knew a Romanian when I was in Charlotte, chilled out guy, could easily have a beer with him.

Premium Member
Nice to hear from you and sorry for your loss.

It's good they have a tennis center for him, hopefully they'll create a stadium for him or a statue in future, who knows?
I don't really care about such accolades. Also the Nadal statue is a bit of... in his lifetime, though while still competing?? At least they should have waited till he retires... it backfired a bit at this RG.
(There is a small statue inside of the family restaurant in Belgrade btw:

Art Street fashion Sculpture City Metal

It's the replica of his statue from Shanghai, Qi Zhong Tennis Center, erected in 2007:

Sculpture Statue Temple Mammal Art

I didn't know Romanians are nationalistic. Thanks for sharing that. I knew a Romanian when I was in Charlotte, chilled out guy, could easily have a beer with him.
As they are our neighbors and we've had some historical feuds for at least 200 years due to Transsylvania, I very much know their nature. Btw if you don't believe me, just see how they behave towards their own players in tennisforum.
On the other hand there are many Romanians who are not like this, so it's contrasting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
He won 3 slams and was a match from 4th, if that's being devastated then idk what fans of other players are doing. Compared to where Novak was after USO DQ and RG loss last year this is still all kinds of awesome.
He lost the main event, TV.

It's like winning all the stages in the game and losing to the final boss.

Registered
STill has a chance to get record breaking 7th YE1, 2000 points ahead of Medvedev in race, goes into the next season to win one or two more slams...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I don't really care about such accolades. Also the Nadal statue is a bit of... in his lifetime, though while still competing?? At least they should have waited till he retires... it backfired a bit at this RG.
(There is a small statue inside of the family restaurant in Belgrade btw:

View attachment 370054

It's the replica of his statue from Shanghai, Qi Zhong Tennis Center, erected in 2007:

View attachment 370055

As they are our neighbors and we've had some historical feuds for at least 200 years due to Transsylvania, I very much know their nature. Btw if you don't believe me, just see how they behave towards their own players in tennisforum.
On the other hand there are many Romanians who are not like this, so it's contrasting.
Nice.

I believe you, it's just that I'm not exposed to Romanian tennis or tennisforum as such.

Premium Member
He lost the main event, TV.

It's like winning all the stages in the game and losing to the final boss.
Tbh, he was spent mentally and physically after that RG, imo he won Wimbledon purely on expereince and by being by far the best grass-courter in the tournament (Fed obviously not himself). Ofc it would've been nice if he still won that final match, but he wasn't really close at any point, Medvedev was in the lead from the first minute

Registered
Man was a win away from getting a CYGS at 34... 3 GS titles in a year at 34. I mean, sure that last one would've been like the most epic thing ever, but still, I accepted it. Felt disappointed of course. All in all an amazing year from the legend that will probably leave him hungry for 21+.

I for one somehow really feared he would have retired if he won, something about his face when he said it at the interview after Zverev match + all the emotion that the crowd induced. Guess we'll never know.

Reactions: sav001

Registered
Not devastated but I was very disappointed with his terrible mental state in the final, which didn't allow him to perform well. In the semi he looked pretty fine in this department (I thought he was ready for the final) and suddenly he appeared paralized in the final. He couldn't even make any set tight to give Meddy a chance to choke. It was way worse than a choke: he collapsed mentally even before the match and was scared of the occasion. I've never seen anything like this before from him. Before the match I realized he could have problems with closing the match (due to incredibly high stakes) but didn't expect him to be like this from the start. It was a meltdown of gigantic proportions.

OTOH I would be devastated if he had lost a close match (in this regard a straight-set loss is better). RG'13 was way worse than this. When a result is uncertain one is more engaged emotionally into a match and a loss hurts more. Had he lost CYGS after wasting MPs that would be worst nightmare possible.

Reactions: sav001 and Phillo

Registered
Of course they are devastated , they realize now that he wont win the slam race and will be behind Rafa next year .

Premium Member
OTOH I would be devastated if he had lost a close match (in this regard a straight-set loss is better). RG'13 was way worse than this.
He didn't have MP there, but it was almost won before the net touch, so that was his worst loss ever. Having defeated Nadal twice in such a comeback year on clay could have been the story.
Anyway I could get over it, but not sure if I would ever forgive this current one. It feels so-so reckless...

Registered
Nope. He had an incredible season, became the undisputed GOAT, and had a chance to do something no one in history had done (grand slam, 3 surfaces, actual competition), so that last part was just icing on what was already a very rich cake.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Not devastated but I was very disappointed with his terrible mental state in the final, which didn't allow him to perform well. In the semi he looked pretty fine in this department (I thought he was ready for the final) and suddenly he appeared paralized in the final. He couldn't even make any set tight to give Meddy a chance to choke. It was way worse than a choke: he collapsed mentally even before the match and was scared of the occasion. I've never seen anything like this before from him. Before the match I realized he could have problems with closing the match (due to incredibly high stakes) but didn't expect him to be like this from the start. It was a meltdown of gigantic proportions.

OTOH I would be devastated if he had lost a close match (in this regard a straight-set loss is better). RG'13 was way worse than this. When a result is uncertain one is more engaged emotionally into a match and a loss hurts more. Had he lost CYGS after wasting MPs that would be worst nightmare possible.
That shocked me too. I thought he may choke while serving for the match in the 4th or 5th set because of the occasion. Losing in straights and missing sitters at the net was totally unexpected.

Premium Member
In the semi he looked pretty fine in this department (I thought he was ready for the final) and suddenly he appeared paralized in the final. He couldn't even make any set tight to give Meddy a chance to choke.
He wasn't that fine tbh, I think in the first set he won like 2 points on Zverev's serve, for the entire set. Zverev came back to Earth after that, throwing some double faults etc, while Medvedev just kept serving bombs all match long

Registered
Are Joe's fans heartbroken and shattered like I was after Wim 19F?
Dude I know I was heartbroken after W19, see my sig, but I don't know if my fans cared that much about this Djokovic match.

Registered

Well said & still amazed at his almost resignation after only a set and a half to not go after balls he almost always normally would.
The only thing i can put it down to is emptied tank after esp. the Brooksby/Zverev matches.

Registered
Personally, not at all.

If someone had told me after RG last year that Novak would win 3 Slams in 2021 I would have gladly taken it. Plus, I never at any point believed Novak would win the CYGS which you can notice in my post history as well so I wasn鈥檛 the least bit surprised when he lost to Medvedev, since it was the outcome I was expecting. I just know Novak too well because I鈥檝e been following him since 2007.

Also, I love Daniil so I was quite happy for him. He got to win his first Slam and Novak had a phenomenal season so I鈥檓 not the least bit upset to be honest.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts