Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
16,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Joe's fans heartbroken and shattered like I was after Wim 19F?

Please share your true feelings. Dont hold back. Share with me where you're at.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yes, devastated. But hopeful too... I know for a fact that Novak is going to be better next year because of what happened at USO. If he won the US open, that would be a total mental letdown for the next season and he might have been stuck on 21 forever.
Novak is better after big failure than after a huge success. Just look what happened after RG 2015 and after RG 2020. Got murdered just to become better. After RG 2016 he went into total tennis depression. I think same would have happened if he won US Open, but he is too old to come back.

Job is not done, so let's see what happens next year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If it makes you feel better, yes I (still) am.

I don’t know how will be the next season. It is nearly impossible to repeat the same success like winning the first 3 gs.

Will Djokovic recover from this? Will he find the strength and motivation again? Or will his defeat be the nail in the coffin for the rest of his career? We will see.

What he needs now is to rest, and be with his family and friends. Give back a bit to the community, devote some time to his charities and philanthropic activities, which are mainly about education. Life is not all about tennis, thankfully.

I am very sad and it will take me some time to cope with this. But I should always be grateful that he is still here. He now leaves no one indifferent, after being mocked and disregarded for so many years when he was in the shadow of Federer and Nadal.

Thank you for your question.

·
Registered
16,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If it makes you feel better, yes I (still) am.

I don’t know how will be the next season. It is nearly impossible to repeat the same success like winning the first 3 gs.

Will Djokovic recover from this? Will he find the strength and motivation again? Or will his defeat be the nail in the coffin for the rest of his career? We will see.

What he needs now is to rest, and be with his family and friends. Give back a bit to the community, devote some time to his charities and philanthropic activities, which are mainly about education. Life is not all about tennis, thankfully.

I am very sad and it will take me some time to cope with this. But I should always be grateful that he is still here. He now leaves no one indifferent, after being mocked and disregarded for so many years when he was in the shadow of Federer and Nadal.

Thank you for your question.
Thanks for sharing.

TBH I'm not interested in mocking Djokovic fans. I don't get any joy from someone else's pain. I'm not a hateful person in general.
It's just that you guys(not you specifically) gave us so much crap for Wim 19 F that I went on a vengeful spree. Sorry about that but you can't say you didn't see it coming.

I'm just glad Djokovic fans can relate to how we were feeling after Wim 19F so you won't mock us again. The 40-15 sting is gone.

Atleast you guys still got next year. We got nothing, Wim 19 was Fed's swansong and that was brutally snatched away by Joe.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Are Joe's fans heartbroken and shattered like I was after Wim 19F?

Please share your true feelings. Dont hold back. Share with me where you're at.
First of all, I don't know who Joe is. Keep it civilised.
Second, I'm not devastated, but more disappointed. Disappointed by Novak not really showing up for the final and playing one of his worst finals ever.
But it is what it is, Novak is to blame himself for spending so much unnecessary time on court en route to final because he gifted so many sets to players who never had business winning any.
Back to the drawing board for Novak. Will be interesting to see if he's good physically and mentally for more great achievements or this was one failure too many.

·
Registered
16,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, I don't know who Joe is. Keep it civilised.
Second, I'm not devastated, but more disappointed. Disappointed by Novak not really showing up for the final and playing one of his worst finals ever.
But it is what it is, Novak is to blame himself for spending so much unnecessary time on court en route to final because he gifted so many sets to players who never had business winning any.
Back to the drawing board for Novak. Will be interesting to see if he's good physically and mentally for more great achievements or this was one failure too many.
Joe should've skipped the Olympics.

·
Your visions will happen
53,716 Posts

·
Registered
16,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nole arrived In Belgrade today and according to social media, was already on the practice courts at Novak Tennis Center. This loss may just be a blessing in disguise for us fans.
There's a "Novak tennis center"? I didn't know that.

·
Your visions will happen
53,716 Posts
Nole arrived In Belgrade today and according to social media, was already on the practice courts at Novak Tennis Center. This loss may just be a blessing in disguise for us fans.
Maybe he plays Indian Wells after all

·
Registered
Fred
23,782 Posts
I like epic things (like LotR), so as a tennis fan, I am disappointed a bit that the CYGS was not achieved, because it would have been absolutely epic. If Nadal or Federer were in this position, even if it meant increasing the Slam lead, I would have wanted them to do it, for tennis' sake.

With that said, it was obvious that Nole was somewhat burnt out at Wimbledon, more so at the Olympics and COMPLETELY burnt out from the moment he got the break in the 2nd set against Zverev there.

You know when you're lifting weights, and you lift too much and your muscle is like, "Nope. I'm switching off now for 15 minutes"? Well it seemed like something like that happened to Nole's brain in that moment. It was like, "OK, you got the break, you're all set for the Olympic Gold that you've wanted since 2008, I'm going to shut myself down for a bit".

So after that, I was actually shocked he managed to do as well as he did at the US Open. He must have an insane amount of love and passion for tennis, to recover so quickly after such mind-shattering experiences.

So because of that, I'm sure he'll be back next year, or even this year (he's got some goals like YE#1 and possibly WTF title to go for). Of course, it's a bit different now, because NextGen have de facto moved from "arriving" to "arrived" with this outcome, and it will be interesting to see if Nole can raise his game enough to bypass them. I think he'll need to adjust his game a bit in the coming years. It will be interesting to see :) Overall, tennis is in a good place now I would say.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if there is one day a whole stadium named after Djokovic (and rightfully so) in Serbia 🇷🇸
After all, he is one of the most successful sportsman from there

·
Premium Member
4,335 Posts
Pretty disappointing end to what was a great Slam season, but it's just tennis :)

·
Registered
16,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn’t be surprised if there is one day a whole stadium named after Djokovic in Serbia 🇷🇸
After all, he is one of the most successful sportsman from there
Yeah I'm surprised they haven't erected a statue of him there yet when Serbians are so nationalistic. Strange. We would've immediately named a major stadium after him had he won.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Yeah I'm surprised they haven't erected a statue of him there yet when Serbians are so nationalistic. Strange. We would've immediately named a major stadium after him had he won.
Disgusting generalization. Am I devastated to see something like that from you even though you said you will refrain from mocking and being hateful? No, I am more disappointed, same as for Novak's effort in the final (or lack there of).

·
Registered
16,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Disgusting generalization. Am I devastated to see something like that from you even though you said you will refrain from mocking and being hateful? No, I am more disappointed, same as for Novak's effort in the final (or lack there of).
Mocking? Hateful? lol where's this coming from? I'm nationalistic too. People from poor countries are more nationalistic compared to rich countries, although Serbia is richer than India but it's poor relative to other European countries. Is my analysis wrong?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Mocking? Hateful? lol where's this coming from? I'm nationalistic too. People from poor countries are more nationalistic compared to rich countries, although Serbia is richer than India but it's poor relative to other European countries. Is my analysis wrong?
Yes, it's wrong. Nationalism does not have any relation with someone being poor or not.

·
Premium Member
28,998 Posts
Disappointed very much, of course mere casual players or even ATGs could have faltered in similar situation, Laver did not last time, he played a bloke in 1969 USO final whom he beat in 2 further big grass slam finals. He was at least lucky there.
Anyway I expected Djokovic to get better prepared psychologically... it's just such a contrast to be utterly focused like 2021 RG semi or a complete mess like here in the final. In his own terms, this was his biggest failure. Not due to straight sets, but the way how he lost it.
Of course he will come back stronger, but not really getting into this situation anymore, mainly because he won't win RG next year.

Teniski centar Novak | Novak Tennis Center
This is owned by the Djokovic family. His younger brother, Djordje was managing it since his retirement... Belgrade I and II ATP tourneys were held there this year.

They wanted to name a square as "Simona Halep Esplanade" in Bucharest after Halep 2 years ago when she won Wimbledon. The Romanians are really nationalistic btw.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts